When to hay???

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I realize this is silly to most of you.... But how do I know when its time to bail my hay. We dont do it ourselves, but have to hire out. We fertilized about 3 weeks ago and have had LOTS of rain. Is there a certainheight it should be? I dont want to wait to long and am also hoping to get twocuttings this year..

B&LFarms":2sdg0ysb said:
we have bermuda...
the best way to tell if your hay is ready to bale.is to look at thhe grass an walk out in it.if it comes up to your knees or highrer then its ready to cut.it should be ready to bale the 1st of may if its growing good now.

As msscamp asked, what kind of hay? Different hays/grasses are cut at different stages of growth from early boot to 2/3 head, all depends on the type.

dun

Wheat hay 2/3 boot. Grass hay befor it tries yto make a seed head. Sudan befor the seed head matures.

Along those lines, when should you bale Oat and Wheat? I got both and both are knee high but the wheat has sprung the seed head and the oats have not.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew":1cvitn4x said:
Along those lines, when should you bale Oat and Wheat? I got both and both are knee high but the wheat has sprung the seed head and the oats have not.

Thanks,
Andrew

Wheat is early dough stage, don;t know about oats.

dun

dun":o5wvpelb said:
Andrew":o5wvpelb said:

Thanks,
Andrew

Wheat is early dough stage, don;t know about oats.

dun

Oats - squeeze the grain between your thumb and forefinger - if it gives off a white milky substance - we cut it for feed.

Bez>

If it's a bermuda, then you need to cut it before it heads out. Will be about knee high or so, no longer than about 28 days. You also need to think about what type of hay you want, you want volume or quality?? Quality needs to be before it heads out and about 21 days growth, volume just let it keep on growing till you think it can't anymore :p I wouldn't recommend that though, it's actually more expensive.

pbnewbie":10q0dfm5 said:
but have to hire out

If you don't pay someone outright to cut your hay, is it always customary to split the cut with the guy with the equipment?

You have to pay somway, either cash, trade or hay

dun

Latest posts