What's your heritage?

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":2n1uiyqv said:
aplusmnt":2n1uiyqv said:
cypressfarms":2n1uiyqv said:
Aplus,

You should have been at my mom and dad's house last night! I stopped by to visit after work and they had a seafood gumbo going. Complete with shrimp, crawfish, and crabs.

Nothing better than a good gumbo when a cold front comes through. The wife thought it funny that I wasn't hungry when I got home ;-)

Next time My parents complain I do not stop by enough, I will suggest mom starts cooking up some Gumbo and she would see me more. :lol: But then again Gumbo out of a can might not be the same as what you had. :lol:

If you want to add a little hog to the mix, lemme know. What was the dude's name on Forest Gump who had all the shrimp dishes? I'd like to ask him what all I can make with these feral hogs.

That would be Bubba. Shrimp gumbo,shrimp scampi,shrimp stew,boiled shrimp, fried shrimp,bbq shrimp,shrimp cocktail,blackened shrimp,shrimp salad, this could go on and on.

kjones":3190u0sw said:
backhoeboogie":3190u0sw said:
aplusmnt":3190u0sw said:
cypressfarms":3190u0sw said:
Aplus,

You should have been at my mom and dad's house last night! I stopped by to visit after work and they had a seafood gumbo going. Complete with shrimp, crawfish, and crabs.

Nothing better than a good gumbo when a cold front comes through. The wife thought it funny that I wasn't hungry when I got home ;-)

Next time My parents complain I do not stop by enough, I will suggest mom starts cooking up some Gumbo and she would see me more. :lol: But then again Gumbo out of a can might not be the same as what you had. :lol:

If you want to add a little hog to the mix, lemme know. What was the dude's name on Forest Gump who had all the shrimp dishes? I'd like to ask him what all I can make with these feral hogs.

That would be Bubba. Shrimp gumbo,shrimp scampi,shrimp stew,boiled shrimp, fried shrimp,bbq shrimp,shrimp cocktail,blackened shrimp,shrimp salad, this could go on and on.

I think Backhoe is looking for
BBQ Hog,
Hog Kabobs,
Pig on a stick,
Hog Burgers,
Pulled Pork,
Pork Rinds,
Hog Gumbo,
Pig and noodles,
Sweet and Sour Swine,
Pig Broth
Piglet Pie
Spaghetti and Hog Balls
Hog Dogs
Pigs in the Blanket
Hogsburry Steak
Kentucky Fried Pig
Swine Suey
Hog Salad Sandwich

How about Cracklin? I'm sure the folks from Cajun country know about it. I hear its better than pork rinds. What about that sausage, I think its called boudan, or some thing like that.

warpaint":3g4qtvjh said:
Boogie,
I make a mean Pork stew, Cajun style!! ;-)

I'll put my roux up against anybodies!!

Warpaint, is TN known for Cajun food like LA? Or are you a transplant from deeper south?

Also do you cook any Indian (Natiave American) food. I was rased In Oklahoma lived by Peoria, went to school in Quapaw, closest town to us was Seneca MO, If I would have lived on other side of Dirt Road I would have went to Wyandotte OK to school. Lived right in the middle of Pow Wow grounds.

I remember going to the Pow Wows in July and there was an abundance of good eating.

aplusmnt":37klqstr said:
warpaint":37klqstr said:
Boogie,
I make a mean Pork stew, Cajun style!! ;-)

I'll put my roux up against anybodies!!

Warpaint, is TN known for Cajun food like LA? Or are you a transplant from deeper south?

Also do you cook any Indian (Natiave American) food. I was rased In Oklahoma lived by Peoria, went to school in Quapaw, closest town to us was Seneca MO, If I would have lived on other side of Dirt Road I would have went to Wyandotte OK to school. Lived right in the middle of Pow Wow grounds.

I remember going to the Pow Wows in July and there was an abundance of good eating.

Nope, I aint Cajun. Like you though I have a fondness for their stlye of cuisine. So over the years, I've gathered as many recipes as I can.

I'm afraid that my Grandmother was the only one in the family to know the old recipes from our ancestors. She never shared them with me as it was her job to do the cooking.

aplusmnt":jby9aaj9 said:
just two hours ago I was reading a magazine and people wrote in to ask a chef questions. I am going blank he is the most popular TV chef out there, think he is the one that says BAM or something like that.

One question was why the persons gumbo was not any good. He mentioned the same thing as you. That is was all in the Roux, he said you have to get the thickness and something about darker Roux having a stronger taste. I thought it was interesting even though I had no idea what Roux was.
You are talking about Emerill LaGasse. IMO he is one of the sorriest cooks on the Food Network, but he is a showman and it seems that's what the Food Network is after. Don't get me wrong, because there are several real good chefs on the Food Network. But IMO this guy is not one of them.

la4angus":2rx2ez2m said:
aplusmnt":2rx2ez2m said:
just two hours ago I was reading a magazine and people wrote in to ask a chef questions. I am going blank he is the most popular TV chef out there, think he is the one that says BAM or something like that.

One question was why the persons gumbo was not any good. He mentioned the same thing as you. That is was all in the Roux, he said you have to get the thickness and something about darker Roux having a stronger taste. I thought it was interesting even though I had no idea what Roux was.
You are talking about Emerill LaGasse. IMO he is one of the sorriest cooks on the Food Network, but he is a showman and it seems that's what the Food Network is after. Don't get me wrong, because there are several real good chefs on the Food Network. But IMO this guy is not one of them.

Yea that was him, I have never saw him before. We only get the 3 Major Networks with Rabbit ears (poor Janitor). But have saw him on good morning America before.

kjones":ddn94gop said:
How about Cracklin? I'm sure the folks from Cajun country know about it. I hear its better than pork rinds.
Cracklins are made by rendering the pork skin, pork fat and some pork meat down to make lard. After all the lard is rendered out of the fat, the Cracklins are what you have left. Personally I prefer Pork Skins to Cracklins. Cracklins are made by rendering the skin with just a little fat on it into lard. Then you have to let the cracklins cool off for awhile then dump them into hot lard for just about a minute and the cracklins will puff up and you will have Pork Skins or Pork Rinds.

kjones":ddn94gop said:
What about that sausage, I think its called boudan, or some thing like that.
The boudan that you are talking about is actually spelled Boudin. Boudin is the French spelling and pronounciation for Sausage.

This Boudin that you are talking about is a sausage made with cooked rice, pork meat made into a gravy or sauce, along with several different seasonings; It is mixed together and stuffed in a casing into links anywheres from about 6 in. long to about 18 in. long.The reason I corrected your spelling on Boudan is that there are Boudin Recipes in several Sausage Making books, but so far I have never found any for Boudan. There are several French recipes for Boudin which has no rice at all in it.
There is probaly 10,001 or more recipes for the Cajun Boudin. About every Cajun and every CoonAss family has a recipe and some within the families have their recipes.Some delicious and some not so good. Some is inedible as ollie' posted a few weeks ago.

I figured my spelling of Boudin was wrong, but I took a stab at it. Any way it sounds pretty good though. I saw an episode of Dirty jobs where the host went to a place to make both.

warpaint":1yct3zow said:
Ya gotta be careful with that boudin. Some is fairly mild, but some will scald the tastebuds off your tongue!! :D
Just like anything. Depends on the recipe. Some people that make it to sell, has a hot, medium and mild recipe.

mother-portagueese came to US when she was very young,
father-irish,german,who know what else
me 100% amercian hillbilly lol

Part Indian and part Bulldog

What time I am not on the warpath, I am setting on my butt Growling. :lol:

English, Scotch Irish, German, and Indian of some sort. Either that or I was adopted. I can't get the adoption confirmed.

I really got to much body hair to be Indian. I must be adopted.

1/2 Swedish 1/2 German

people are suprised when they find out but its kind of obvious I'm almost 6' and blonde.

born in Texas

Latest posts