What's your Breed ?

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH":38azxxrj said:
Horned Herefords because I need the extra work of dehorning :lol: JHH

poll herefords because I really don't need the extra work of dehorning. :lol:

Brangus here. Just like that stately confident look those mama's have, easy calving, calves grow fast and it's what brings the most money in my area.

I'm just getting in Texas Longhorns again. Had a heart attack 3 years ago, sold out. Now I just bought a reg. bull and will pick up 10-15 heifers this week.

looking foward to some "FUN".

I started with Tuli cattle in 1970, as they were one of the few breeds able to cope with the harsh environment in the bushveld area I ranched in Africa. I like their docility, fertility and easy keeping, selling F1 heifers and pure, adapted stock for crossing in commercial herds was a profitable market as they impart a high degree of heterosis in crosses with all the popular commercial breeds due to their unique genetics, and long period of isolation from European and Asian genotypes. I started a herd again when I lived in NC (Raeford) and had many enquieries from people who saw the herd on a daily basis and were impressed by the way they maintained condition on native grasses and mineral suppliment only. Presently in the UK, so considering starting Sussex as an easy keeping option on grass, the herd on the estate where I manage, consists of native Angus and Hereford on a grass only system.
http://www.tuli.co.za/
http://www.laverstokepark.co.uk/home

talldog":210yme0k said:
What's your breed of cattle and what attracts you to them ???? :wave:

Angus. We bought an Angus bull to put on our first commercial heifers. He gave us a set of uniform colored calves that were polled. We advertised one of our first Angus bulls with the headline "Free Dehorning." Another thing that attracted us was EPDs. At that time, Angus was about the only breed using EPDs. Ours are easy to deal with, fertile, good mothers, and the market likes them.

Frankie":g24fonih said:
talldog":g24fonih said:

Angus. We bought an Angus bull to put on our first commercial heifers. He gave us a set of uniform colored calves that were polled. We advertised one of our first Angus bulls with the headline "Free Dehorning." Another thing that attracted us was EPDs. At that time, Angus was about the only breed using EPDs. Ours are easy to deal with, fertile, good mothers, and the market likes them.

You gave away one of your first Angus bulls?

Scottish Highlands. We bought an old apple orchard neglected for nearly 20 years that was infested with multi-flora roses as a hobby farm. We got into cattle (along with Boer goats) to help clear the place up a little. A year later and you wouldn't recognize the place. I also moved my business to the large building on site and had to store some aluminum outside while waiting for the prior owner to move out. Some was stolen, but since the Highlands have been hanging around there hasn't been a problem since. I think it also deters solicitors, bill collectors (if I didn't pay my bills), and fire marshalls/building inspectors :D

But we sure couldn't make a living with them...

JHH":26km1jxn said:

I agree. Nothing like finishing up a good day's work, or releasing some pent-up frustration, by lopping horns off a 6 month old calf. :cowboy:

Brahmans. Good temperament,intelligence, ability to cross with any breed
South Devons. Big ,soft gentle giants that cross well and add weight to the cross.
Herefords.Good old reliable breed,good milkers and easy to sell,good base breed to cross from.
South Brahvon. Love them all for their hardiness,temperament and to combine the great attributes of both their parent breeds.
:banana:

Aaron":2vmvgrli said:
JHH":2vmvgrli said:

I agree. Nothing like finishing up a good day's work, or releasing some pent-up frustration, by lopping horns off a 6 month old calf. :cowboy:

Now THAT'S the reason I frequent chat boards, cattle related ones and others! :lol:

My breed preference is obvious! I have both polled and horned, but I would prefer to NOT have to use the dehorners.

George

Mostly Simmental, 4 herefords, and 1 Angus. Simmentals are docile,easy to handle, very few calving problems. Herefords the same. Bought because we weren't going buy black Simmentals, but did anyway. Angus, nice little cow. Doesn't act like a crazy Angus.

Wow, lots of breeds mentioned, far too many to create a poll. I noticed no one has mentioned Charolais. They seem to be a popular cross with black angus here. Not my thing, but that's what the university programs seem focused on here. My favorite is red angus and I also like herefords and shorthorns. We have some F1 and 3 way crosses in the works. I like red or red/white moderate framed cattle that milk well, grow fast on grass, and live long healthy lives. Maybe by the time I'm ready to die I'll have achieved my goals...is that how it works with cattle?

2/B or not 2/B":3tq64914 said:
Wow, lots of breeds mentioned, far too many to create a poll. I noticed no one has mentioned Charolais. They seem to be a popular cross with black angus here. Not my thing, but that's what the university programs seem focused on here. My favorite is red angus and I also like herefords and shorthorns. We have some F1 and 3 way crosses in the works. I like red or red/white moderate framed cattle that milk well, grow fast on grass, and live long healthy lives. Maybe by the time I'm ready to die I'll have achieved my goals...is that how it works with cattle?

Quite a few charolais around this area. A lot of folks run charolais bulls with angus cattle as well.

My breed is Charolais. About 100 breeding age females, 15-20 that get flushed, and about 75 crossbred recipients.

talldog":375brjjm said:

Angus/Mashona cross...
Angus for the beef and Mashona for the ability to forage on a wider variety of grasses that english cattle won't utilize and excellent breeding ability in adverse conditions such as our prolonged drought. The maternal traits are excellent and the calves are little tiny at birth.

Herefords.US":2tjyc7im said:
Aaron":2tjyc7im said:
JHH":2tjyc7im said:

Now THAT'S the reason I frequent chat boards, cattle related ones and others! :lol:

My breed preference is obvious! I have both polled and horned, but I would prefer to NOT have to use the dehorners.

George

But then you wouldn't have the best! Honestly, if I had known I could have all of the qualities I wanted in the Polled Herefords, by just using a Horned Hereford, I would have never gotten involved with the Polled Herefords. Spent many years breeding, both A.I. and natural, trying to fight the showring trend and create a herd of functional, no-hassle, ranch-hardy cows. I did it...but it would have been much simpler to have went with Horned Herf's in the beginning. :cowboy:

talldog":eo51jb4w said:

Horned Hereford. They're the best in the west and at high altitude. ;-) :D

Latest posts