Whats wrong with Simmental cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":mnij65ab said:
Taurus":mnij65ab said:
ALACOWMAN":mnij65ab said:
truth is,, most folks dont know what a angus is suppose to look like
A 1,200lbs black polled cow
some want a simmental to look like that,,

Yeah and if they achieve that it'll be through the incorporation of angus genetics. Just like theyre already doing. And other than the changes in size, the angus breed hasnt changed all THAT much. A little yeah, but not a whole lot.
But what puts a burr in my saddle is how other breeds run to angus to improve their breed, then wanna turn around and bash them! Why are you coming to us to fix your breed if were so terrible?? Answer that question and ill be satisfied.

So the simis dont want the low BW and the high growth curve. The excellent carcass traits. The great milking and mothering ability. The easy fleshing cattle on minimal feed.

Dang, its a shame that with all the good traits the breed has to offer, that all people want is the color. Why not go to the corriente breed? Or the brangus breed?
Hmm.. Idk. But I will rest my case. I guess yall can have our color since that is all you need.

And yes, i do know that the color has a lot to do with it. But i dont think thats all. If these other breeds keep going the way they are, theyll all be pretty much angus anyways. Then who will we gripe about?

So youre saying all the angus breed has to offer is color? That it reduces the quality of these breeds by using angus to get this color?
A simple yes or no will be just fine. Im not even gonna argue with it.
If you like a breed, raise em. If you dont, then dont.

Anguscattle":27xl0s51 said:
So the simis dont want the low BW and the high growth curve. The excellent carcass traits. The great milking and mothering ability. The easy fleshing cattle on minimal feed.

Dang, its a shame that with all the good traits the breed has to offer, that all people want is the color. Why not go to the corriente breed? Or the brangus breed?
Hmm.. Idk. But I will rest my case. I guess yall can have our color since that is all you need.

And yes, i do know that the color has a lot to do with it. But i dont think thats all. If these other breeds keep going the way they are, theyll all be pretty much angus anyways. Then who will we gripe about?

This is why I have seen an icreased demand for high quality black Galloway cattle. Commercial operations that run Angus based cowherds want to maintain the black hide, carcass quality, feed efficiency, and maternal traits. They also want hybrid vigor. With all of the "other" breeds using Angus, and becoming Angus, they are looking for an outcross, that will give them heterosis.

ALACOWMAN":ak70ehif said:
ive got mostly angus and brangus type,,and i really dont give a dam,either way ...just love to argue........ hows that for a simple answer :cowboy:

:lol: :lol2: :lol: Nothing like honesty. :lol2: :lol: :lol2: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Galloway2":2mol2f2w said:
Anguscattle":2mol2f2w said:

This is why I have seen an icreased demand for high quality black Galloway cattle. Commercial operations that run Angus based cowherds want to maintain the black hide, carcass quality, feed efficiency, and maternal traits. They also want hybrid vigor. With all of the "other" breeds using Angus, and becoming Angus, they are looking for an outcross, that will give them heterosis.

What kind of operations to you sell most of your bulls to?

Ive seen that a lot. People cant afford the angus or brangus cattle so they settle for a "lesser" breed and hate the former bc of it. I think its funny.

And Galloway, that makes perfect sense to me!

SSGenetics":18r5tslo said:
Galloway2":18r5tslo said:
Anguscattle":18r5tslo said:

What kind of operations to you sell most of your bulls to?

SS- Typically commercial ranches with rough country, or altitude. Some go to guys producing replacement females. This year I personally have been contacted by Reg. Angus ranches, who run a portion commercially.

The female demand has realy picked up...started a waiting list prior to calving the 2012's

Sounds like you have a good thing going and have a good market for them! :tiphat:

You would think the clubbys would be all over them with all that hair.... :shock: We need a pretty slick haired animal down here in fescue country...

Justin

SSGenetics":1jx764tt said:
Sounds like you have a good thing going and have a good market for them! :tiphat:

You would think the clubbys would be all over them with all that hair.... :shock: We need a pretty slick haired animal down here in fescue country...

Justin

I can't complain. :D

The clubbys are too, for the hair and the bone, without the TH. It is a portion of our sales. It is a struggle with some of our breeders to keep our herdbook closed, so far so good.

Anguscattle":btmz2lro said:

They might get the milk, but the mothering is already there. Had more problems with angus cows caring for their calves then I have ever had with simmys.
and the simmys won't kill ya ethier.
Sorry if I turned on ya...I had to keep the fight going, we were about to give up! :lol2: :kid: :dunce:

sim.-ang.king":1v39d7l2 said:
Anguscattle":1v39d7l2 said:

They might get the milk, but the mothering is already there. Had more problems with angus cows caring for their calves then I have ever had with simmys.
and the simmys won't kill ya ethier.
Sorry if I turned on ya...I had to keep the fight going, we were about to give up! :lol2: :kid: :dunce:
I thought simm's were strong in both areas

Latest posts