Whats wrong with Simmental cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know ala, I may have to consult JS to tell me what the numbers say...opps...wrong thread, that's on the other simmy bashing thread. :yuck: :???: :dunce:

Sim-ang,
Youre wearing me out. Nuff said! Im here typin this post so my angus havent killed me yet! Theyre just as gentle as any cattle ive been around!

And fitz, thats just great! Take advantage of that hybrid vigor that some yahoos claim to be non existent. Nothing wrong with crossing them! Just dont call the progeny purebreds and we'll get along just great! Lol

sim.-ang.king":f1wwoksk said:
Anguscattle":f1wwoksk said:
So the simis dont want the low BW and the high growth curve. The excellent carcass traits. The great milking and mothering ability. The easy fleshing cattle on minimal feed.

Dang, its a shame that with all the good traits the breed has to offer, that all people want is the color. Why not go to the corriente breed? Or the brangus breed?
Hmm.. Idk. But I will rest my case. I guess yall can have our color since that is all you need.

And yes, i do know that the color has a lot to do with it. But i dont think thats all. If these other breeds keep going the way they are, theyll all be pretty much angus anyways. Then who will we gripe about?
They might get the milk, but the mothering is already there. Had more problems with angus cows caring for their calves then I have ever had with simmys.
and the simmys won't kill ya ethier.
Sorry if I turned on ya...I had to keep the fight going, we were about to give up! :lol2: :kid: :dunce:
Had few simmentals tried to kill me when they have problems with caring for their calves. One simmental cow won't produce milk for her calf. That calf was runt so I culled both calf and cow.

Anguscattle":z8a3nn1h said:
Sim-ang,
Youre wearing me out. Nuff said! Im here typin this post so my angus havent killed me yet! Theyre just as gentle as any cattle ive been around!

And fitz, thats just great! Take advantage of that hybrid vigor that some yahoos claim to be non existent. Nothing wrong with crossing them! Just dont call the progeny purebreds and we'll get along just great! Lol

No sir. Just call them what they are. Crossbreeds.

fitz

Blacks a dominant gene anyway. Eventually, without standards strictly held to, all cattle will most likely be black

hooknline":3lvk5bc7 said:
Blacks a dominant gene anyway. Eventually, without standards strictly held to, all cattle will most likely be black

Perhaps all american cattle will one day be black, because of CAB, not because black is dominant. :2cents:

this whole black thing has more to do than just with hide color, if they had not bred up to american quality standards, they would all have been out off business soon. they simmi's needed a carcass boost, did you ever look at a fleck finished hanging in a packing house, i have seen lots of them. there are stiens that have finished with better carcasses. the same for the other continentals, angus improved carcass, feed effenciey. amd frame size. a 1600 pound steer makes a heck of a big t bone steak now cut it for a restaurant at 12 oz. and what do u have a steak that is paper thin, comercial cattlemen as well as breeders, need to remember who the real customer is. the consumer. forget about all this breed bashing and look at your cows with an honest eye, are we growing the best end product we can produce, or raising what we think is pretty, back to the continentals i have a friend that is a very sharp cattleman, he is at the top of the industry, and has been for the last 30 plus years, he says the problems with the continentals is, when we went to europe to pick them out. we picked what we thought would win at denver, not win in the feedlot, i dont want to step on any showmans toes, but thats where the money is made in cattle. what hangs on a rail, not a lead rope.

Anguscattle":s0czpi2a said:
Ive seen that a lot. People cant afford the angus or brangus cattle so they settle for a "lesser" breed and hate the former bc of it. I think its funny.

And Galloway, that makes perfect sense to me!
. Have to weigh in on this thread, what a load of bs.Angus cattle in North America are not 100 percent pure. You are bashing other breeds for using Angus to turn their breed black. Your 100 percent Angus were crossed with continental breeds to achieve their sudden frame increase in one year. If you choose to drink the AAA cool aid and put your head and say that this is not so, so be it. But let me ask you a question. Why hasn't the AAA not done DNA tests of these frame curve bending to once and for all settle this rumor? U will not have to think long about that one. As for people having to own cheaper cattle. I bought papered Angus3in1's in the 90's for 400 dollars. They were the cheap cattle then. U live long enough you will learn all dogs have their day in the sun. So remember, Angus was one of the first breeds to incorporate outside breeds to improve their breed. Personally I think it was a mistake. Those short legged cattle were easy doing cattle

Feed effenciey has been brought up a few times in this thread. Like a few of the people who have mentioned it to define it. Is the breed that converts a lb of feed to a lb of beef or the breed that eats the most to put on a few extra lbs.

Houston,

If you took the time to read ALL of my posts, you wouldve read that I acknowledge the fact that other influences have been snuck into the angus breed. I never claimed that the angus breed has stayed 100% pure all the way through. What I did say was that angus at least requires that the cattle be 100% on paper. Unlike a lot of other breeds. Im not bashing other breeds for incorporating other genetics into their breed, im just saying that if you have a simi cow (100%) and breed her to a 100% angus, then you cant convince me that its a 100% simi! Thats what is happening! Its nothing more than a commercial cow at that point in my opinion. And also, if you pay much attention to the angus breed, you will find that as a whole we are trying to get away from that "added frame". Angus cattle did suddenly increase in size, and that was the standard for a pretty good while. But in the past ohhh 5-8 years the focus has been on getting back to the more moderate framed cattle.
But I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. Let me make this clear, AGAIN, I dont think angus are perfect, and i do believe there are a lot of other quality breeds out there. My issue is, when your papers say 50% angus, dont call it a simi. If you can sneak angus into your simis unnoticed, call it a simi! At least that way it isnt obvious that you arent simi for the whole world to see!
But honestly, i really dont give a crap what other breeds are doing. As long as angus are at the top, ill stick with them. If another breed takes that position, ill consider converting. To each his own.

And angusdave, that couldnt have been better said. At the end of the day all that matters is what we deliver to consumers. No matter what breed it is etc.

Anguscattle":cy6a2u73 said:
Ive seen that a lot. People cant afford the angus or brangus cattle so they settle for a "lesser" breed and hate the former bc of it. I think its funny.

People can't afford the angus or brangus, so they settle for a LESSER breed? Ummmm....head injury, correct?

Anguscattle":2yb59q8h said:
Houston,

If you took the time to read ALL of my posts, you wouldve read that I acknowledge the fact that other influences have been snuck into the angus breed. I never claimed that the angus breed has stayed 100% pure all the way through. What I did say was that angus at least requires that the cattle be 100% on paper. Unlike a lot of other breeds. Im not bashing other breeds for incorporating other genetics into their breed, im just saying that if you have a simi cow (100%) and breed her to a 100% angus, then you cant convince me that its a 100% simi! Thats what is happening! .

I think you need to go back and read all 46 of your posts too....OR simply read the one I'm quoting from, and you will find you are playing hypocrit roles... :bs:

You admit that Angus have other blood in them, but yet you believe they can be called purebred even though they aren't 100% pure.....BUT, we can't call a 15/16th Simmental a purebred? Double standard...AND, I think you need to learn a little more about the Continentals. No one calls a 50/50 Simmental/Angus just a Simmental. it's called a Sim/Angus. At least we give some credit to the Angus breed, unlike those here who are taking the opportunity to bash Simmentals.

Gators Rule":1y0z0vf9 said:
Anguscattle":1y0z0vf9 said:
Houston,

If you took the time to read ALL of my posts, you wouldve read that I acknowledge the fact that other influences have been snuck into the angus breed. I never claimed that the angus breed has stayed 100% pure all the way through. What I did say was that angus at least requires that the cattle be 100% on paper. Unlike a lot of other breeds. Im not bashing other breeds for incorporating other genetics into their breed, im just saying that if you have a simi cow (100%) and breed her to a 100% angus, then you cant convince me that its a 100% simi! Thats what is happening! .

I think you need to go back and read all 46 of your posts too....OR simply read the one I'm quoting from, and you will find you are playing hypocrit roles... :bs:

You admit that Angus have other blood in them, but yet you believe they can be called purebred even though they aren't 100% pure.....BUT, we can't call a 15/16th Simmental a purebred? Double standard...AND, I think you need to learn a little more about the Continentals. No one calls a 50/50 Simmental/Angus just a Simmental. it's called a Sim/Angus. At least we give some credit to the Angus breed, unlike those here who are taking the opportunity to bash Simmentals.

Keywords in my post that you quoted, "ON PAPER". They are required to be 100% ON PAPER to be registered. Yeah folks have crossed them and put on paper that they were 100%. Which is done quite easily by raising a "cross", that meets the color requirements, and registering it using an angus cows/bulls registration #.
Look, im not trying to bash simis, or any other breed. All i was hoping for was someone to give credit where credit is due. If you have angus in your breed, then why are you bashing angus. Thats what I dont understand that. I have that view for any breed. Like brangus, I think it would be stupid for someone to raise brangus, yet bash brahmans. How does that make sense?? Explain that one thing and ill gladly be willing to agree to disagree.

ALACOWMAN":x065630w said:
i know you folks and i have to stop every now and then and think,,, why the he&@ do i feel like i need to defend my cattle on web sight :lol:
Come on Bammy...if you don't you'll stick out like a sore thumb....the only "non expert". :lol2: :lol:

i know it aint worth running your blood pressure up over,, biggest wake up call i had was with a field man.. looking for another cattleman in the area... do you no where so and so farms is??? were trying to get more of his business... he's got the type we're looking for... now that one hurt ..

I believe AngusCattle saying that Simmental x whatever is registered on the paper as a purebred Simmental which he have a problem with that. I've seen funky colored "holsteins", yet they are registered Holstein. Even the Dutch Belted x Holstein are allowed to be registered as a purebred Dutch Belted and some of these Dutch Belted cows are getting bigger and polled.

Black verison of popular breeds is just well a crossbred to me and they don't looks like the same breed that I used to be familiar with. For example: A black simmental is not a simmental to me. It's almost like two totally different animals with same name.

Anguscattle":16wpdbbv said:
Houston,

If you took the time to read ALL of my posts, you wouldve read that I acknowledge the fact that other influences have been snuck into the angus breed. I never claimed that the angus breed has stayed 100% pure all the way through. What I did say was that angus at least requires that the cattle be 100% on paper. Unlike a lot of other breeds. Im not bashing other breeds for incorporating other genetics into their breed, im just saying that if you have a simi cow (100%) and breed her to a 100% angus, then you cant convince me that its a 100% simi! Thats what is happening! Its nothing more than a commercial cow at that point in my opinion. And also, if you pay much attention to the angus breed, you will find that as a whole we are trying to get away from that "added frame". Angus cattle did suddenly increase in size, and that was the standard for a pretty good while. But in the past ohhh 5-8 years the focus has been on getting back to the more moderate framed cattle.
But I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. Let me make this clear, AGAIN, I dont think angus are perfect, and i do believe there are a lot of other quality breeds out there. My issue is, when your papers say 50% angus, dont call it a simi. If you can sneak angus into your simis unnoticed, call it a simi! At least that way it isnt obvious that you arent simi for the whole world to see!
But honestly, i really dont give a crap what other breeds are doing. As long as angus are at the top, ill stick with them. If another breed takes that position, ill consider converting. To each his own.

And angusdave, that couldnt have been better said. At the end of the day all that matters is what we deliver to consumers. No matter what breed it is etc.

:secret: You did say you were a commercial cattleman didnt you? Because a seedstock producer wont get far with that kind of thinking.....