What's up with his tail?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Bull calf born 3 day ago. Couldn't get near him until yesterday (fairly certain mama was going to eat me for lunch!) and got a good look at his tail. What the what? Birth defect? Broken? Maybe similar to contracted tendons that eventually straighten out? Other than being extra diligent about fly control & getting docked at the sale barn, anything I should be concerned about? She's keeping him on the fringe of the herd.

https://i.postimg.cc/YCJgV5Kh/IMG-20190308-153356161.jpg

Looks like he was a little cramped inside Mom and his tail was affected? I'd bet, in time, it'll straighten out. This calving season appears to be one that's bringing out everything unexpected.

Hook2.0 said:
Had one like that last year. Tail wasn't right when we loaded him at weaning and off to the barn. The dock was almost .25/lb
Ouch! And I suspect we'll have quite a few frozen ears this year & take a hit. Time will tell but he may be a good candidate for the freezer.

bird dog said:
The photo looks like his back legs are a little irregular also.
I was wondering about that. He can definitely run, which he did after I tagged him, but I've had that with calves that had contracted tendons. She's a huge cow, this is her 7th calf & he's probably no more than 85 lbs so there should have been enough room unless he wasn't positioned right.

Does he even have a tail? I can not tell by the picture. Or is the tail just cranked to the left of his rump?

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
Does he even have a tail? I can not tell by the picture. Or is the tail just cranked to the left of his rump?
He does have a tail. Almost looks like it's fused to his left hip. But he can wiggle the tip, which is weird.

Latest posts