Doubling up

Help Support CattleToday:

Her and the black Brahma cow were 2 bonus cows when my son bought the registered Hereford cows from the lady over at Florence Al . She had lost her lease and made us a deal we couldn't refuse. 😁 So I don't know . She said she was a brangus that she bought at the sale barn . She's a dandy ! I have 2 daughters out of her . One will calve next spring and we kept her this year's calf .
I meant what was the sire of the calf?

Sorry, it's out of our Quaker Hill Rampage son . We really got some nice heifers out of him . His first daughters will calve spring of 2024 Twins I posted are out of my Gizmo Raindance son . Fixing to have 2 black baldie cows calve to him .

Last edited:
You LIKE that cow??? From a photo where the only thing you can see behind her head is her backbone and ribs? LOL... I just think you like anything that will get a premium at the sale barn.
Man has a good eye . Years of buying good cows . If you buy at the sale barn you may only get a quick view .

View attachment 37942Bull and a heifer , might weigh 70 lbs together.
The heifer...sadly a freemartin...anyway both being underweight will go to the sale barn after weaning. But double your money!! Congrats! That's what i dislike about sale barns for personal cattle purchases...there's freemartin heifers in there!!!...buyer beware.

Pot calling the kettle black ?
Yeah... probably. But really, from that picture you can't see anything about that cow that makes it worth saying, "I like it." It may be a great cow... but the pic doesn't show that.

If you disagree, fine. If you want to show us how great the cow is, give us a side shot that shows how nice she is. I'm always up for looking at good cows.

Probably a lot of opinions, but what traits make a "good cow"?
I think a cow needs to have a calf every 12 months on average - hopefully without assistance. Needs to have good feet - good enough to get around to the grass and water. Needs to have a good udder and teats - enough milk to feed the calf and teats that the calf can find and latch on to.
I have plenty more requirements for my cows, but please add to the list.

Last edited:
Yeah... probably. But really, from that picture you can't see anything about that cow that makes it worth saying, "I like it." It may be a great cow... but the pic doesn't show that.

If you disagree, fine. If you want to show us how great the cow is, give us a side shot that shows how nice she is. I'm always up for looking at good cows.
Well, I myself could see more than her head and spine, from this 3/4 head on shot. But how do you know I haven't seen this cow? @coachg and I don't live that far apart. Did you notice her calf in the pic?

Well, I myself could see more than her head and spine, from this 3/4 head on shot. But how do you know I haven't seen this cow? @coachg and I don't live that far apart. Did you notice her calf in the pic?
Okay... my bad. I thought you were commenting on the picture of the cow with twins immediately above your post.

For a guy that rails against not using the reply feature, I'm guilty of not noticing which post you were replying to.

Another doubleheader today ; the old fashioned way ! View attachment 37940

I like that cow! What kind of bull is the sire?

And Warren... you still stack it pretty deep. That's just a given...

And Warren... you still stack it pretty deep. That's just a given...
You had done pretty good on this thread until now...reverting to your old habit of trying to insult people into a fight. If the past is any indication of probable future behaviour, this is about when you start one of your maniacal diatribes about The Great CAB Conspiracy .

From 36 cows calving this year I had 3 sets of twins, a record for me, all by different bulls. Two sets of heifers and the last lot were a pair of bull calves. The first set the cow got seperated from one amongst the herd and I had to start it on a bottle but a few days later a cow had a breech birth with a dead calf so was able to get it onto her and this calf was my heaviest overall at the last weigh in. The other twins are on their mothers and are doing well. The bull calves are from a heifer and while they are smaller than the rest of the calves they were also the last born in the herd.

Ken

You had done pretty good on this thread until now...reverting to your old habit of trying to insult people into a fight. If the past is any indication of probable future behaviour, this is about when you start one of your maniacal diatribes about The Great CAB Conspiracy .
Well a lot depends on whether the reader has skin so thin that they take it as serious... or humor. It doesn't matter to me which way you take it. That's all on you.

Probably a lot of opinions, but what traits make a "good cow"?
I think a cow needs to have a calf every 12 months on average - hopefully without assistance. Needs to have good feet - good enough to get around to the grass and water. Needs to have a good udder and teats - enough milk to feed the calf and teats that the calf can find and latch on to.
I have plenty more requirements for my cows, but please add to the list.
Good, straight topline, depth, breadth, and length, adequate bone, femininity, some appropriate amount of muscle and it needs to go deep into the hock, a minimum of waste in the brisket. A little harder to see is hips capable of reliably delivering calves, and milk production. The size of the udder isn't as important as how much milk she can let down. But the udder has to have good attachment and a solid, level floor with thumb sized teats on each corner. In western states where she will have to cover ground to find enough to eat she needs to have more leg, and if on lush pasture she can do with less.

One of the reasons I always bought old cows to raise replacement heifers was that it was easier to see the physical weaknesses in feet, teeth, and udders. And they never made it to being aged if they hadn't bred and dropped a healthy calf every year. I always tried to buy my cows from serious producers that culled for not producing.

From 36 cows calving this year I had 3 sets of twins, a record for me, all by different bulls. Two sets of heifers and the last lot were a pair of bull calves. The first set the cow got seperated from one amongst the herd and I had to start it on a bottle but a few days later a cow had a breech birth with a dead calf so was able to get it onto her and this calf was my heaviest overall at the last weigh in. The other twins are on their mothers and are doing well. The bull calves are from a heifer and while they are smaller than the rest of the calves they were also the last born in the herd.

Ken
Live twins will almost always make more money than a single calf.

Good, straight topline, depth, breadth, and length, adequate bone, femininity, some appropriate amount of muscle and it needs to go deep into the hock, a minimum of waste in the brisket. A little harder to see is hips capable of reliably delivering calves, and milk production. The size of the udder isn't as important as how much milk she can let down. But the udder has to have good attachment and a solid, level floor with thumb sized teats on each corner. In western states where she will have to cover ground to find enough to eat she needs to have more leg, and if on lush pasture she can do with less.

One of the reasons I always bought old cows to raise replacement heifers was that it was easier to see the physical weaknesses in feet, teeth, and udders. And they never made it to being aged if they hadn't bred and dropped a healthy calf every year. I always tried to buy my cows from serious producers that culled for not producing.
A lot of good traits there. Are the traits that make a "good cow" all visible to the eye? Can a person tell that a cow is "good" just by looking? Will the results of a livestock judging contest or cattle show select the "good" cows? My opinion - there are sometimes very "good" looking cows that don't raise good calves. Cow with good phenotype, stay in good condition, but raise small calves. The point of my post above is to point out that a visual "good cow" does not automatically select a true "good" cow. Production records come into play. Weaning weight ratios, mothering ability, docility, easy keeping, milk quality - all come into play in making a "good" cow. Sometimes the ugly cow may be a "good" cow. In the end, profit might need to be more important over looks for the cow/calf person. But we tend to like the pretty cattle.