Doubling up

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes , we use to do 60 day breeding but our setup / pastures aren't where we can pull the bulls like we use to . First bulls we owned were raised together so they got along when we put them together . Our new bulls tried to kill one another so we just started leaving them in . Good and bad . Not excited about winter babies but it is what it is .

I was checking cows today and the calf was laying in the middle of the opening to the gate . Wasn't expecting any till the first of the year so it was nice surprise. Momma was at the hay ring and was pretty quick to claim her baby .

Worry putting out hay with new borns around . May run over with tractor, cows may knock down and step on , tougher on cow to raise . Those are a few negatives in my book . After they get up a couple of weeks old they learn to stay out of the line of fire .

Worry putting out hay with new borns around . May run over with tractor, cows may knock down and step on , tougher on cow to raise . Those are a few negatives in my book . After they get up a couple of weeks old they learn to stay out of the line of fire .
I was thinking it was something to do with the cold. I always wanted calves on snow so I didn't have to worry about some of the medical problems associated with dry pastures.

And yeah, I've had calves get stepped on around the feed bunk when they were using it as a wind break.

I was thinking it was something to do with the cold. I always wanted calves on snow so I didn't have to worry about some of the medical problems associated with dry pastures.

And yeah, I've had calves get stepped on around the feed bunk when they were using it as a wind break.
That's a plus along with no flies ! And yes I definitely like live ones born any time ! 🤠

I like that cow! What kind of bull is the sire?
Her and the black Brahma cow were 2 bonus cows when my son bought the registered Hereford cows from the lady over at Florence Al . She had lost her lease and made us a deal we couldn't refuse. 😁 So I don't know . She said she was a brangus that she bought at the sale barn . She's a dandy ! I have 2 daughters out of her . One will calve next spring and we kept her this year's calf .

Last edited:
I have a dent in 2 trucks in the same spot. Whats your excuse.
I can't remember that one Kenny ? 😁 That's my old farm truck . Both sides of the back bumper are bent inward . Side of the bed has a big gapping hole where I got squirrely in the ice and snow and got into a gate . Got out thinking I would find a big dent but the bed is plastic? So I had a big hole ! Trying to retire ole Smokey but keep on driving her .

Latest posts