Doubling up

Help Support CattleToday:

So here are my cheap cows. Or at least some of them. They were pretty much done with their hay and had started to scatter. They don't mind me driving by when they are in the feed row. They don't stand and pose once they are spread out picking.

The Char cow was the only one who wanted multiple pictures. She was in a group of 4 that averaged weighing 1,013. She has put on a couple hundred pounds since she has been here. Cost me $1.00 a pound
The next black cow and the Hereford were part of a group of 7 (5 blacks, 1 baldy, and the Hereford). They weighed 1,328 and cost me $1,275 a head.
Not certain on the two baldy cows. Just good deep thick cows I bought in late October or early November based on their ear tag numbers.
The last one is probably the smallest thinnest cow I bought. Just bought her on Nov 27 She weighed 1,140 and cost me $1,140.
PC083160.JPGPC083159.JPGPC083158.JPGPC083157.JPGPC083155.JPGPC083154.JPGPC083152.JPGAll of these cows were called spread mouth or 9-10 year olds depending on which sale the were purchased at.

So here are my cheap cows. Or at least some of them. They were pretty much done with their hay and had started to scatter. They don't mind me driving by when they are in the feed row. They don't stand and pose once they are spread out picking.

The Char cow was the only one who wanted multiple pictures. She was in a group of 4 that averaged weighing 1,013. She has put on a couple hundred pounds since she has been here. Cost me $1.00 a pound
The next black cow and the Hereford were part of a group of 7 (5 blacks, 1 baldy, and the Hereford). They weighed 1,328 and cost me $1,275 a head.
Not certain on the two baldy cows. Just good deep thick cows I bought in late October or early November based on their ear tag numbers.
The last one is probably the smallest thinnest cow I bought. Just bought her on Nov 27 She weighed 1,140 and cost me $1,140.
View attachment 37996View attachment 37997View attachment 37998View attachment 37999View attachment 38000View attachment 38001View attachment 38002All of these cows were called spread mouth or 9-10 year olds depending on which sale the were purchased at.
And again... I don't have a problem with your cheap cows... for what you are doing. My business model was different and they wouldn't work for what I was doing. The first one is pretty decent, but I'd probably not buy the last one. But that's only personal preference.

Since I was trying to get consistency in calves they wouldn't work... for me. Consistency being more than color.

But for your business model I'm sure they work just fine.

How long do you take to study and compare the good and bad traits? You had better think quick when they walk into the ring! ;)

How long do you take to study and compare the good and bad traits? You had better think quick when they walk into the ring! ;)
A lot of times I know when someone with good cattle is bringing their cows in. And at times after buying their cows at the sale barn, I approach them about buying privately the next year. I always try to keep the auction house happy though because they are the best source of information, and good information is money.

A lot of times I know when someone with good cattle is bringing their cows in. And at times after buying their cows at the sale barn, I approach them about buying privately the next year. I always try to keep the auction house happy though because they are the best source of information, and good information is money.

Why the reply but no answer?:whistle:

Why the reply but no answer?:whistle:
Well first off, I wasn't really sure you were asking me because the reply feature hadn't been used. So were you asking me, specifically, or someone else?

And "why"? Knowing what kind of cattle and where they are from presupposes they will be consistent with the seller's standards. But really, I have developed a pretty good eye for cattle and can see good cattle in a bunch without even thinking about it. Just like weight, it's a practiced ability. I have a mental template in my mind and if a cow fits well it's a possible buy. If it has something that makes it not fit the template then I can see that anomaly right away and discount the cow as appropriate right away.

The question was for the group. Cattle at auction in my area do not stay in the ring very long.

My point is picking out the fine details in cattle thru the ring is not likely to happen.If you need to buy cattle, the average will usually work. There is only one ''buy of the day'' so most of us are out of luck.

It is the way you "say it" in print that is off putting....
I don't know how to "say it" any other way. I said many times that I admire his business model and what he does, and that I'm doing something different for different end results. What more do you want? Please instruct me in offering my own experiences and opinion in a way that suits you.

If you are reading it differently than the way I'm writing it... that's on you. Maybe reading for comprehension would benefit all of us.

Latest posts