The fun with heifers calving continues.

Help Support CattleToday:

The red calf looks like he/she is thinking maybe he/she ate to much
The solid red is her own calf, thus far I've left him with her and he's been nursing the front quarters whenever he wants.I've been separating the other two calves away from the cow in between feedings. I'll soon turn the cow out and let her back in to the calves then they'll all nurse at the same time.

@coachg did you get that milk cow you were talking about earlier this week. I am going to a cow and heifer sale in Calhoun tomorrow. Want me to call you if I see one that might work for you?
I never called . Finished fence building and started fertilizing hay ground and pasture. Turned calf out with the twins and their momma but continued to give her the bottle. My wife is still not feeling well . Heart center in Huntsville called and moved her test appointment to this Monday. Was the 8th of April so maybe we can get some answers. If there were 2 of me I'd plant my early garden and bush hog the new pasture we got but that's on the back burner for now . If you see something that you would own call me . Rain has put fertilizer spreading on a halt till next week . Forecast is for 2-3 inches Tuesday.

I never called . Finished fence building and started fertilizing hay ground and pasture. Turned calf out with the twins and their momma but continued to give her the bottle. My wife is still not feeling well . Heart center in Huntsville called and moved her test appointment to this Monday. Was the 8th of April so maybe we can get some answers. If there were 2 of me I'd plant my early garden and bush hog the new pasture we got but that's on the back burner for now . If you see something that you would own call me . Rain has put fertilizer spreading on a halt till next week . Forecast is for 2-3 inches Tuesday.
Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope the tests come out good. I am headed out here in a minute, I will let you know if there is something you can use at a good price. How far are you from Ft Payne? Someone form that sale will most likely be there. Might be a good way to get one over to you if we find something.

Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope the tests come out good. I am headed out here in a minute, I will let you know if there is something you can use at a good price. How far are you from Ft Payne? Someone form that sale will most likely be there. Might be a good way to get one over to you if we find something.
I'm about 18-20 miles

They'll make you grey headed or bald that's for certain ! I'm not going to post about mine , don't want to jinx myself. 🤠
Said I wasn't going to say anything but here is #4 . That's 4-4 on the ones bred to our home raised heifer bull . She's out of the horned Brahma / Hereford cow that I posted as my ideal cow . IMG_5807.jpeg

@coachg did you get that milk cow you were talking about earlier this week. I am going to a cow and heifer sale in Calhoun tomorrow. Want me to call you if I see one that might work for you?
Warren finally had a minute to call , both cows were in Benton Tennessee. Guy said he sold both and didn't know of another one around. One Jersey and one guernsey . Only other one i saw was in Kentucky and they were asking $3000 . 😳

I'm about 18-20 miles
Turned out she was 6 mos bred, not 4. Bred to a Char bull. Weighed a little over 700 lbs.. . Very tall for a Jersey, should have weighed 1000. She was 4 years old, though. Sold for $1050. Her body condition plus being bred to a Char...I let her pass.j2.jpgj3.jpgj4.jpgj5.jpgJers1.jpg

Last edited:
Turned out she was 6 mos bred, not 4. Bred to a Char bull. Weighed a little over 700 lbs.. . Very tall for a Jersey, should have weighed 1000. She was 4 years old, though. Sold for $1050. Her body condition plus being bred to a Char...I let her pass.
She seems to be growing good on the milk replacer . She started nibbling at the green grass as soon as I let her out of the barn . Never got her to eat feed , but the twin bull calf eats with his momma . I have a creep gate at the other farm . Going to bring it and see if I can get her eating with the bull . His sister never has offered to eat feed either .

Too far away for me... I would have bought her for 1050 in a heartbeat... not scared of being bred to a char since it would not be her first calf... put a little condition on her but not too much so the calf would not be a monster... shame she wasn't closer...
I was thinking the same thing, just not out loud which is rare. But If I had bid she would have went for $10 a lb.

Too far away for me... I would have bought her for 1050 in a heartbeat... not scared of being bred to a char since it would not be her first calf... put a little condition on her but not too much so the calf would not be a monster... shame she wasn't closer...
I thought about it, but in person she is a lot skinnier than she looks in those pics. Plus, they had the Char bull she was bred to there as well. He had horns to rival a Corr. He was 2100 lbs, and even at that, he was near as thin as she was. So no telling how big the calf would be. I went there specifically to look at the Brama cows they had. Just knew there bred to the prettiest red Brahma bull I have seen in a while. Turns out they were bred to that Char bull as well. The red Brama was bred to to 2 rwf and one bwf cow, that had calves on them by that Brahma!

That Brahma bull sold for just $1800, and the Char sold for $1500. The had both flunked their semen test, but heck, they had calves in the ring! Barn vet told me out of the 8 bulls tested today, only 3 passed. He said " But I wouldn't read that much into it. New environment, hauled a long way, all the racket etc, may have caused it." Well, the bidders sure did read a lot into it! LOL

I thought about it, but in person she is a lot skinnier than she looks in those pics. Plus, they had the Char bull she was bred to there as well. He had horns to rival a Corr. He was 2100 lbs, and even at that, he was near as thin as she was. So no telling how big the calf would be. I went there specifically to look at the Brama cows they had. Just knew there bred to the prettiest red Brahma bull I have seen in a while. Turns out they were bred to that Char bull as well. The red Brama was bred to to 2 rwf and one bwf cow, that had calves on them by that Brahma!

That Brahma bull sold for just $1800, and the Char sold for $1500. The had both flunked their semen test, but heck, they had calves in the ring! Barn vet told me out of the 8 bulls tested today, only 3 passed. He said " But I wouldn't read that much into it. New environment, hauled a long way, all the racket etc, may have caused it." Well, the bidders sure did read a lot into it! LOL
Ahh the old bad picture phenomenon, it always makes girls look bigger. I said something to a cameraman once who was just showing me a photo that he had just took of me. His response was along the lines of: "the camera only takes a picture of what it sees."

I agree, she would have looked a lot different before she had a calf.

Am i mistaken that the semen was produced and stored long before they got to the stockyard so anything there should not have effected it?
If the Charolais bull was 2100 they stole him at $1500. This week thin, crippled, or just sorry bulls were worth 2.50 on the rail here. So if he just cut 40% he would be worth $2100.

Am i mistaken that the semen was produced and stored long before they got to the stockyard so anything there should not have effected it?
If the Charolais bull was 2100 they stole him at $1500. This week thin, crippled, or just sorry bulls were worth 2.50 on the rail here. So if he just cut 40% he would be worth $2100.
Yep, sold 2 bulls the last couple weeks and both pushed up around $2500. The biggest was only #1800. Brahman cows brought $1500, packer prices.

That's a steal.

No, they stuck the electric prod up their butts and collected there while they had them in the chute. I watched them test the Char and the Brahma. The vet and his techs just kinda shrugged it off. They said it was just the environment...that both had a pen full of calves there. 5 of the 8 they tested failed.

One boy unloaded a nice looking 5 yr old SimmAngus. Gentle as a Jersey milk cow. He said he was just getting to big for his cows, and wanted to just weigh him and sell him for slaughter. The barn people came up to him when we were talking, and said they weren't selling anything by the pound that day, and that if we wanted the bull to bring anything he better get him tested, Or leave him there til Tuesday and sell him with the weigh cattle. Vet said his bull tested higher than any one there except for this young Ang bull. It sold for $3100. The boy hadn't even brought the papers with him, because he thought he was gonna be sold with the weigh pen cattle for slaughter. He bought that 14 month old reg Ang bull, that had the highest BSE score that day, for $3300 to replace him, so he was pleased with it all.

On the way home, I thought of something I should have done at the sale. A man brought about 15 Char cows. Best conditioned cows I saw all day. Not one bad foot and every udder as perfect as you could ask for, Beautiful cows. Youngest ones were 4, most 5 or 6, and two were 8 year olds. Anywhere from 3 mos to 6 mos bred. Smallest was 1100 something pounds, and the biggest were 1350-1400. They sold from $1150 to $1500. I should have bought them and left them there til Tues, and sold them as weigh cows. And I think that guy that bought them is going to do that. He works at that sale barn. A 4 yr old Char, 1300 lbs, with a 4 month old heifer calf brought $1650 for the pair.

I did get to see my first red Char cow, or the first I knew as a red Char. She was 3 yr old, calved 2/21/21, weighed 1350. She was homozygous polled, homozygous red, guaranteed dilute free. 8 mos bred to a red Char bull. They read his name and EPDs etc., but those didn't mean anything to me. I know nothing about Char genetics. I remember thinking that we are about to see a cow break $4k. She brought $1800!! We all figured, auctioneer as well, that they would NO SALE her, but the woman said let her go! Couple of people THEN tried to raise bids, but the auctioneer told them she was sold, and to go talk to the buyer. I know the boy that bought her. He has commercial black and bwf Simms and SimmAngus, and uses Brangus bulls. I am going to ask him if he sold her if I see him there Tuesday. Dunno what he would have wanted with a red or any other color Charolais, other to re-sell her. $1800 for a 1350lb, 4 yr old cow, 8 mos bred to a Char bull would bring $1800 at any sale barn, even if it was a dang Corriente x Holstein cow!

Latest posts