Calving at Simme Valley with Java

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Java, the dam of our "little bull" calved 5 days early last year, calving on Jan 1st. This year she was due Jan 8th.
On Thursday, she was a little lame. As I've mentioned, we have been MUD non-stop. Several cows have come up lame. So, we brought her into the barn. On Friday, Phil picked up her foot, cleaned it - it stunk - assuming foot rot . Put Coppertox on it, didn't wrap because we had all our pens free, so we kept her in. Gave her Exceed as directed (text) by my new young vet.
Next day, she really did not act right. She normally devours half a bale of hay in one feeding. She just laid around. Finally, I noticed she was leaking urine (or embryonic fluid?). I text my old retired vet. Told him what she was like. He said uterine torsion is not very common with beef, but - being lame, she may lunge getting up and could have flipped the calf. Said for Phil to palpate vaginally to check. Phil did - everything felt normal. Cervex was closed.
Next morning, Phil was first in the barn and called me saying Java had blood in her discharge/slime.
I text the retired vet and asked if he would come out.
He came right out - palpated her rectally, said she had a full breech calf coming and there was no movement. He had to work really hard to reach the legs to get them up. Got the chains on both legs, had Phil hold them while he went to his truck for something - still no movement, vet said dead. Phil put pressure on them, and calf slid right out falling hard on the floor of the chute. Calf shook it's head!! Live bull calf. Obviously, checked for twin, yup. That one almost slid out by herself - yes freemartin.
So, Java was hauled all over all summer being shown, nursed her monster bull calf for 9 months, and was carrying TWINS, and kept her condition with her 3# corn a day while being shown. Nothing since September. And - she calved same day as last year, 7 days early.
Both calves were up and nursing in about 30 minutes. Amazing!!!
The retired vet has been my vet for about 30 years (or more) and lives about 2 miles away. Lucky he likes me!!!
The topper is that she NEVER showed any sign of being in labor. Just mopey and not eating or drinking and the blood in the discharge. Vet said calves easily would have been dead if we hadn't caught her when we did.
HAPPY NEW YEAR - good way to start the season!

Attachments

• SV - 2024 Java and twins.jpg
    SV - 2024 Java and twins.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 28
Java, the dam of our "little bull" calved 5 days early last year, calving on Jan 1st. This year she was due Jan 8th.
On Thursday, she was a little lame. As I've mentioned, we have been MUD non-stop. Several cows have come up lame. So, we brought her into the barn. On Friday, Phil picked up her foot, cleaned it - it stunk - assuming foot rot . Put Coppertox on it, didn't wrap because we had all our pens free, so we kept her in. Gave her Exceed as directed (text) by my new young vet.
Next day, she really did not act right. She normally devours half a bale of hay in one feeding. She just laid around. Finally, I noticed she was leaking urine (or embryonic fluid?). I text my old retired vet. Told him what she was like. He said uterine torsion is not very common with beef, but - being lame, she may lunge getting up and could have flipped the calf. Said for Phil to palpate vaginally to check. Phil did - everything felt normal. Cervex was closed.
Next morning, Phil was first in the barn and called me saying Java had blood in her discharge/slime.
He came right out - palpated her rectally, said she had a full breech calf coming and there was no movement. He had to work really hard to reach the legs to get them up. Got the chains on both legs, had Phil hold them while he went to his truck for something - still no movement, vet said dead. Phil put pressure on them, and calf slid right out falling hard on the floor of the chute. Calf shook it's head!! Live bull calf. Obviously, checked for twin, yup. That one almost slid out by herself - yes freemartin.
So, Java was hauled all over all summer being shown, nursed her monster bull calf for 9 months, and was carrying TWINS, and kept her condition with her 3# corn a day while being shown. Nothing since September. And - she calved same day as last year, 7 days early.
The retired vet has been my vet for about 30 years (or more) and lives about 2 miles away. Lucky he likes me!!!
The topper is that she NEVER showed any sign of being in labor. Just mopey and not eating or drinking and the blood in the discharge. Vet said calves easily would have been dead if we hadn't caught her when we did.
I love the attention you pay to your cattle. Absolutely beyond compare! Got a question. What are your plans for Java now that she has thrown twins?

Yes - and that breaks her DIVA heart. Spoiled rotten. She immediately took to both of them. She has enough milk for them, that's for sure. The bull calf is solid black, the darn freemartin is white face. Bummer. We really were hoping for a heifer out of her - not this kind!!
Well, as you have indicated, the free martin will generate cash flow.

WOW and just WOW....
Congrats for being so in tune to the cow... and thankful that your old retired vet really likes you... and congrats on the twins although I know you don't like twins... 2 live is better than 2 dead... and since she raised a whopper of the bull last year,,, ought to be able to feed these for a while at least.
Plus the bull calf will be good... and make sure you check for the heifer as she gets older... she could be one of the 10% that is good too....
But all in all, turned out to be a great start to the new year... now hoping for some cold and hard ground for you.

I love the attention you pay to your cattle. Absolutely beyond compare! Got a question. What are your plans for Java now that she has thrown twins?
I'm afraid she will have to be just a cow this year. Phil does NOT want to show a cow with twins! LOL This will be a new experience for her. Was shown as a calf, bred yearling, and this past summer as 2-yr old c/c. I'm afraid Elsie (her human show partner) is going to be very disappointed. The sponsor family missed the actual birth, but were here to help drag the calves to their pen.
And we will breed her again for a January calf.

Remember that there is that small but possible chance that the heifer is not a freemartin. We had one years ago that had normal looking parts, tested her and she was fertile. Who is the sire?

I love stories with good endings. Glad you caught it and paid attention to what was happening with her. Happy New Year.

Sire is OMF Epic.
Vet immediately checked her and vulva was definitely large/ not right.
But, if she was good, yes, I would breed her. I have lots of twin heifers that go right into my breeding herd.
I have a lot of twins. Simmental are fertile myrtles. They have a higher percentage of twins than other breeds. But, I have not seen increased twins out of twins.
I do not LIKE twins, but over the years, I have a good record of live twins (dang, hate to say that out loud - jinx).
Phil has never had a full breech. So, vet explained everything he was doing. I'm sure if Phil had palpated her, he could have gotten them out. He is amazing with dystocia for a city boy!! We rarely have a problem - except twins. They sure like to come in weird positions.
We had 1 cow he went in and I could see on his face he was trying to figure out what he had. Turned out to be twins - but - 1 calf was coming right position, but 2 front legs were under and head was over the other twin that was laying sideways. So, they were making a "T" shape. He shoved them both back in and managed to get just the one, then the other. But, you should have seen his face when he was trying to figure out the puzzle.
Vet is AWESOME!!!

That is pretty normal weight for twins FOR ME. Some larger, on older cows. In the real cow world, she's still a baby! If we have a dystocia 75# calf, Phil goes in looking for a twin.
Yes, 164# of baby is a LOT. You would have expected her to have been a hard doer nursing that monster of a bull. We quit feeding her anything other than grass and hay from September on - during the most growing trimester. Easy keeper!

Yes - and that breaks her DIVA heart. Spoiled rotten. She immediately took to both of them. She has enough milk for them, that's for sure. The bull calf is solid black, the darn freemartin is white face. Bummer. We really were hoping for a heifer out of her - not this kind!!
Maybe as lucky as you are she will be in that very small percentage of freemartin that is fertile. Uncommon but not impossible. Beautiful calves and cow😊

Latest posts