The fun with heifers calving continues.

Help Support CattleToday:

I mean the semen is produced and stored by the animal, inside the animal. I know how the tech or vet collects it.
I dunno. I watched them do the Char and they never could get him to ejaculate. The vet told me and others standing around: " Hell, if y'all was to grab me and put me in a headlock, and stick an electrode up my butt, with all of these people standing around watching talking, I doubt I could "do it" either!" LOL

I thought you meant it was collected and stored, then brought to the sale that day for the vet to check. I misread!

If those bulls were in real poor shape that would be a a factor in not passing a semen check.
Bull was probably in better shape when he bred the cows that were there.
Not uncommon for some Jersey cows to look poor but if a bull is in comparable condition to what I'm visualizing the Jersey cow as looking like I'd say no wonder her didn't pass a semen check.

I dunno. I watched them do the Char and they never could get him to ejaculate. The vet told me and others standing around: " Hell, if y'all was to grab me and put me in a headlock, and stick an electrode up my butt, with all of these people standing around watching talking, I doubt I could "do it" either!" LOL
Is that a thing? Hang out at the stockyards and watch semen collection? Whatever happened to beer and a bug zapper? I been wondering where my poker buddies have been hanging

If those bulls were in real poor shape that would be a a factor in not passing a semen check.
Bull was probably in better shape when he bred the cows that were there.
Not uncommon for some Jersey cows to look poor but if a bull is in comparable condition to what I'm visualizing the Jersey cow as looking like I'd say no wonder her didn't pass a semen check.
No, the Brahma wasn't. He is in the videos on their FB page. And none of the 2 black ones or the BWF Simm that didn't pass were in bad shape.

1711310570888.png

Last edited:
I am pretty new to this game and have been watching this thread with interest. Never new about a pregnant cow "adopting" another's calf.

My situation. I have 3 cows and 3 heifers due to calve this month. I moved them to a 10 acre pasture close to the house two weeks ago.

I check them twice a day, and yesterday afternoon one of the heifers had moved herself to the opposite end of the field. Went to check her out and she had a calf curled up right beneath her. I don't think the calf was more than an hour old, she was still wet and momma's afterbirth was just about 10 feet away. While I watched the heifer was sniffing and licking the calf and would stand over her and Moo. The calf seemed alert, but was making no effort to stand up or nurse. I finally went over and helped the calf to her feet (mistake?) the heifer started to walk away, went about 40 feet, stopped and started mooing, the calf walked ,wobbly, over to her and started nursing. I went back about three hours later to ear tag the calf. Momma was still guarding her, and would nudge the calf to make her stand. I backed off about thirty feet just to watch until the calf got up and started nursing again.

Went out this morning to check the calf and see if any more had arrived. No new calves, but two of the other pregnant cows seemed very interested in the calf, one started licking her. When that happed the new momma nudged the calf to her feet, led her off a short distance and started nursing her. She has definitely bonded with her calf, hoping the other cows don't interfere.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-04-08-095645.jpeg
    IMG_2024-04-08-095645.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 3
I am pretty new to this game and have been watching this thread with interest. Never new about a pregnant cow "adopting" another's calf.

My situation. I have 3 cows and 3 heifers due to calve this month. I moved them to a 10 acre pasture close to the house two weeks ago.

I check them twice a day, and yesterday afternoon one of the heifers had moved herself to the opposite end of the field. Went to check her out and she had a calf curled up right beneath her. I don't think the calf was more than an hour old, she was still wet and momma's afterbirth was just about 10 feet away. While I watched the heifer was sniffing and licking the calf and would stand over her and Moo. The calf seemed alert, but was making no effort to stand up or nurse. I finally went over and helped the calf to her feet (mistake?) the heifer started to walk away, went about 40 feet, stopped and started mooing, the calf walked ,wobbly, over to her and started nursing. I went back about three hours later to ear tag the calf. Momma was still guarding her, and would nudge the calf to make her stand. I backed off about thirty feet just to watch until the calf got up and started nursing again.

Went out this morning to check the calf and see if any more had arrived. No new calves, but two of the other pregnant cows seemed very interested in the calf, one started licking her. When that happed the new momma nudged the calf to her feet, led her off a short distance and started nursing her. She has definitely bonded with her calf, hoping the other cows don't interfere.
Very nice, I think the biggest thing to worry about is not to be in too much of a hurry to interfere yourself, observe from a distance and most of the time their natural instincts will have the situation well under control.

Ken

Checked them at 8am, and the calf was up nursing.
Really glad I ear tagged her yesterday, when I checked them again this evening she was running around like a little deer. Never would've caught her😀

No new calves from the other five yet.

Latest posts