What's the scoop on braford attitude?

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought true f1 brafords heifers a couple years ago. Theres several ranches in ne Texas running registered Hudgins bulls over fantastic brahma cows. They'll make a fantastic cattle herd but they don't come cheap. They're definitely a different animal to deal with. NO kids, NO dogs, NO hotshots, and none of that crazy western cowboy bs unless you want everything tore up or get hurt. They will get in your pants over a calf or in confined spaces. Mine haven't ever got outa sorts in open pasture over a calf but I've spent a lot of time with em. I run a register black angus bull over my herd.

Attachments

• 20220301_124214.jpg
    20220301_124214.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
I bought true f1 brafords heifers a couple years ago. Theres several ranches in ne Texas running registered Hudgins bulls over fantastic brahma cows. They'll make a fantastic cattle herd but they don't come cheap. They're definitely a different animal to deal with. NO kids, NO dogs, NO hotshots, and none of that crazy western cowboy bs unless you want everything tore up or get hurt. They will get in your pants over a calf or in confined spaces. Mine haven't ever got outa sorts in open pasture over a calf but I've spent a lot of time with em. I run a register black angus bull over my herd.

Hudgins bulls on Hereford cows, right?

The F1 heifer in my profile pic and that Aussie have had lots of run-ins. My half Brahmas do not like dog but tolerate him as long as he is in back of side by side. When he runs in pasture and gets close to calves, all mamas (red angus, black angus, brangus and halves) all give him protective mini-charges. Dog cannot be loose when I am feeding or moving them.
They all are good w my grandkids in side-by-side. I don't think it would be good to be in the field as a stranger though. A coyote and Brangus bull were eyeball to eyeball this last week. Someone shot coyote before he left the field.

I want to thank everyone who has replied. I may be able to scoop an F1 bull off of a herford sire and brahma dam from a fella whose stock have good disposition. Thinking of using one on some other cows as a terminal cross.

Not sure what I'll use for cows, I am taking suggestions. I know it sounds stupid, but I really don't want to use black angus cows because I'm not really into the black hide hype and I'm probably gonna have minimal sale barn traffic for my stuff.

I DO NOT want a damned dog anywhere near me, my horses, or the cattle! If someone calls me about catching cattle for them, the first thing I ask is if they have been trying to get them with 4wheelers/ATVs and/or dogs. If they have, I tell them I won't be able to get around to them, and refer them to someone else who uses tranq guns, etc.
Just came across an old vid of those Satus stockdogs.. it's amazing how well trained they are

Latest posts