Santa Gertrudis x Braford.

Help Support CattleToday:

As a fellow salesman I would have thought you would recognize a salesman blowing smoke up your butt? 😄

Aside from the fact of Beefmaster having a long, successful, breeding program... saying that you can cross two composites and get more consistency than one composite is not even logical. That's probably the reason for most people using Hereford and not Braford. The Hereford will bring some uniformity to the gerts.

That cross is no more capable or less capable, from a breed stand point, than any other cross. They are good cattle with a lot of eye appeal. Red motts with ear with always sell.

Any time I hear some one put that much emphasis on breed its a red flag that you are getting a sales pitch.
The

As a fellow salesman I would have thought you would recognize a salesman blowing smoke up your butt? 😄

Aside from the fact of Beefmaster having a long, successful, breeding program... saying that you can cross two composites and get more consistency than one composite is not even logical. That's probably the reason for most people using Hereford and not Braford. The Hereford will bring some uniformity to the gerts.

That cross is no more capable or less capable, from a breed stand point, than any other cross. They are good cattle with a lot of eye appeal. Red motts with ear with always sell.

Any time I hear some one put that much emphasis on breed its a red flag that you are getting a sales pitch.
At some point, there is a transition from a composite which has a high level of heterozygosity, retained hybrid vigor and inconsistency; too a new breed that is more homozygous, lacks hybrid vigor and breeds consistent.
The original thought behind composite cattle was to constantly breed up composite bulls from the original breeds.

I hope they don't all have bags like the ol' darlin in the third photo down.
No not all the herd is always a work in progress. She has had a good run but I think 16 years old will be her last year. But I keep saying it is her last year but she keeps bringing in a big calf every year.

There's a big difference between 'mean' and what I call 'independently minded' or stubborn cattle.
(with some, they're kinda like a couple of ex girlfriends I had.)

I never had any Gerts but have been around a bunch of them in the 60s when they were pretty popular back in E Texas. Way too many people back then, were afraid of them simply because of their size and too many small cattlemen equated size to meanness, just as many did with the old Bramer cattle of decades gone by.

But congrats, on a thread started by Warren and very surprisingly, not once, has the 'C' word come up!!! (yet anyway)

He has 2 of those heifers he is weaning in January. One of each: a Gert X Braf and a Braf x Gert. I bought them for the guy who is building a herd of Red Angus and Red Brangus to breed to his Black Hereford and BWF Simm bulls. We decided to try a couple and see how they do, though this will be outside of his planned program. And, it will be summer/fall of 2025 before a calf gets here.

Yesterday I took some pics of the 2 replacements I saved to replace the oldest 2 cow's who may be on their last year this year. Even though they have mainly Hereford markings they are half Gert and half Hereford. Sometimes they come out this way.

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpeg
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    615.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    648.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 30
Gert/Hereford cross is a good cow .
Saying there is no consistency in BM is BS .
They haven't seen a good BM herd.
Where they lack consistency is in color, lots of chrome pops up on true BM from time to time.
Some of the most beautiful cattle I've ever seen were Hereford/gert cross.

This is exactly what the Gert and Braford crosses look like, but with about the same ear and leather as Gerts and Brafords have. If I had some of them, I would use Black Angus or Black Simm on them. If I had some of the Herf/Gert crosses like yours, I would use a Brangus.
Those calves in the picture were off this guy. He was a very good Brangus bull hated to let him go.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.jpeg
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0199.jpeg
    IMG_0199.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0198.jpeg
    IMG_0198.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0704.jpeg
    IMG_0704.jpeg