What's the scoop on braford attitude?

Help Support CattleToday:

Everything on this place except the bull is part is F1 to 1/4 Brahman. That's what I started with over 50 years ago.
I can call every cow into the pen or into any pasture.
The play cattleman well they just don't play cowboy.
Cattle disposition is often a reflection of their owner's disposition. Idiots raise idiot cattle.

I kinda figured making them would be a good idea. I've heard that if you're working too far down the line from them then you're gonna lose some qualities.

Might even play with a three way cross and keep the good heifers and sling the rest until I'm happy with what I have.
Make what..Brafords or f1 Hereford x Brahmas? They are 2 different animals. No need to "make" a Braford. To do so you gonna have to have registered Brahma and registered Herford, and it wil take 3 generations of breeding back to get the 5/8thsHerford 3/8ths Brahma composite that is Braford. Easier to just buy Brafords. The f1 Herford x Brahma make one oif the best of noit THE best monna cows out there, for adding the 3rd breed to as a terminal cross. Most everyone around here that I know, uses Angus bulls on these f1s, and they get polled black WF calves that will bring the top dollar at the saloe barns. But, to do f1s, you gonna need Brahma cows...kinda expensive... and Hereford bulls. It is not recommended to use Brahma bulls on Hereford cows. You may have monster bull calves from that cross.

In a lot of cases the Brahman bull on Hereford cows is the best and cheapest route to take...around here getting the good Brahman females is a challenge and will cost you alot more than a Hereford ..then you choose the bull wisely..or play the fife lowly

Make what..Brafords or f1 Hereford x Brahmas? They are 2 different animals
Exactly and it's why I asked the question.
You can buy Brafords relatively cheap.
You can buy Braford F1 mommas or you can breed up your own-- but neither of those are going to come cheap.

(one of the biggest arguments I remember here at CT was how to 'correctly' get Braford F1s)

I've seen more than 1 Craigslist ad advertising "Braford F1s" , and showed a picture of the sire and dam and they were both Brafords. :rolleyes:

I guess they are nowadays calling breeding a purebred Braford or Braford f1 to a reg Angus a............. Braford Plus.

Exactly and it's why I asked the question.
You can buy Brafords relatively cheap.
You can buy Braford F1 mommas or you can breed up your own-- but neither of those are going to come cheap.

(one of the biggest arguments I remember here at CT was how to 'correctly' get Braford F1s)

I've seen more than 1 Craigslist ad advertising "Braford F1s" , and showed a picture of the sire and dam and they were both Brafords. :rolleyes:

I guess they are nowadays calling breeding a purebred Braford or Braford f1 to a reg Angus a............. Braford Plus.
Around here they call them Super Black Baldies or Ultra Black Baldies.

In a lot of cases the Brahman bull on Hereford cows is the best and cheapest route to take...around here getting the good Brahman females is a challenge and will cost you alot more than a Hereford ..then you choose the bull wisely..or play the fife lowly
Might be the cheapest, but then you have a bunch of Herefords with all the udder, foot and pink eye problems, on top of possible 100lb+ bull calves to pull. Definitely not the best, as even the ABA itself, advises strongly against Brahma bulls on Hereford and Angus cows. The OP is in NE Texas, though, so can probably find Brahma cows cheaper than we can down here. @Caustic Burno , or maybe it was @Brute 23 , has a chart they post form time to time, from a study done about that subject.

Back in the 60's and early 70's, the 1st Brahmas around here were bulls and people bought them to put on their Angus and Here3ford cows. and this is back when those cows stood about waist high. I recall some having to be pulled, but not no where near as much as when people first brought the cow-killer, pallet-headed Simmental and Charolais bulls around here. God, what a night mare those mf-ers were. To this day, I'd never pay $5 for either one of those 2 breeds. Granted, the Simmentals are now just about all Angus, and not quite the cow killers the original red and white ones were, but I wouldn't have one. And a Charolais bull is good for nothing but breeding Charolais cows, and they do put the atheletic ability.. the high jumps and kicks, in rodeo bulls.

Around here they call them Super Black Baldies or Ultra Black Baldies.
Lots of different definitions to "super baldies' too. At one time it involved using Brangus. In Australia it means something different and Canada and some places in the US use Angus/Simmental to create a 'super baldie.
Texas A&M has a program specifically focused on Super Baldies.

And a Charolais bull is good for nothing but breeding Charolais cows, and they do put the atheletic ability.. the high jumps and kicks, in rodeo bulls

Lots of people around here would disagree with that. The old cow killer Char bulls are pretty much a thing of the past and Char genetics add a lot of weight when bred to something like Beefmasters.

Heifer caldanekcalf.jpgf from a char bull on a beefmaster cow:

Im in the process right now of gathering some Herefords. My plan is to put them on the better country on the north side and see how they do.

If I could AI them and use Brangus or Angus bulls for clean up I would do that.

It's a lot cheaper to buy some good Brahman bulls and good Hereford cows than good Brahman cows. Im not worried about putting a Brahman bull on Hereford cows. Just let both sides know when you are buying. Keep you bw low on the bull. That cross will have plenty of growth on it's own.

Might be the cheapest, but then you have a bunch of Herefords with all the udder, foot and pink eye problems, on top of possible 100lb+ bull calves to pull. Definitely not the best, as even the ABA itself, advises strongly against Brahma bulls on Hereford and Angus cows. The OP is in NE Texas, though, so can probably find Brahma cows cheaper than we can down here. @Caustic Burno , or maybe it was @Brute 23 , has a chart they post form time to time, from a study done about that subject.

Back in the 60's and early 70's, the 1st Brahmas around here were bulls and people bought them to put on their Angus and Here3ford cows. and this is back when those cows stood about waist high. I recall some having to be pulled, but not no where near as much as when people first brought the cow-killer, pallet-headed Simmental and Charolais bulls around here. God, what a night mare those mf-ers were. To this day, I'd never pay $5 for either one of those 2 breeds. Granted, the Simmentals are now just about all Angus, and not quite the cow killers the original red and white ones were, but I wouldn't have one. And a Charolais bull is good for nothing but breeding Charolais cows, and they do put the atheletic ability.. the high jumps and kicks, in rodeo bulls.
few guys been doing it here with no problems..But i was using Brahman cows with Hereford bull..brother in law been using a Hudgins bull on em for a few years. If I had my druthers I'd use Grey Brahman cows..but way too much initial investment ....but then I won't be fooling with either one anymore in my area..

Hey, I have one more question on this topic. I have two dogs, one herding/guarding breed puppy who I hope to make a good livestock dog out of, and one absolute mutt of a shepherd mix who is loyal to the last ounce of his being but has about the grace and forbearance of a drunken disco dancer when it comes to being around livestock. Horses don't much care for him, cattle find him slightly annoying at best, goats abhor him, chickens run from him and there's about a 75% chance he will try to play with calves. Is there anything that I can do to prevent a protective mama cow from a breed like this from mashing his head in? We had a good herd/watch dog or two before but they were much more agreeable to animals.

Hey, I have one more question on this topic. I have two dogs, one herding/guarding breed puppy who I hope to make a good livestock dog out of, and one absolute mutt of a shepherd mix who is loyal to the last ounce of his being but has about the grace and forbearance of a drunken disco dancer when it comes to being around livestock. Horses don't much care for him, cattle find him slightly annoying at best, goats abhor him, chickens run from him and there's about a 75% chance he will try to play with calves. Is there anything that I can do to prevent a protective mama cow from a breed like this from mashing his head in? We had a good herd/watch dog or two before but they were much more agreeable to animals.
No!

Darn, well RIP Duke then.

Maybe he'll adapt. He's not stupid, he just doesn't like to think.
That is a bad combo with these cattle. You will be starting behind the curve every time you go to handle these cattle because the mutts will already have them on the defense.

If you are lucky only the dog will get hurt.

That is a bad combo with these cattle. You will be starting behind the curve every time you go to handle these cattle because the mutts will already have them on the defense.

Darn. Darn darn darn darn darn. Hell. Crap.

I really want to do this breed. The younger dog has potential to actually make a good dog around livestock. I'll just have to my level best to teach Duke to stay the heck away.

That's a fact they hate dogs. had em hem one up under my truck...worst feeling is them chasing one that ran and ducked behind me for cover...I went one way, the dog went the other..

Darn. Darn darn darn darn darn. Hell. Crap.

I really want to do this breed. The younger dog has potential to actually make a good dog around livestock. I'll just have to my level best to teach Duke to stay the heck away.
I assume those are your kids in your avatar. You can't just go buy a Brahmans or F1s off the street and think you will go out there with a herd of kids and pack of dogs and work cows. It will be a train wreck. You will have to make sure the cattle have been exposed to both.

My son couldn't hardly be on foot in a pasture until he was 14 or 15. We were cutting hay strings and he got a little far from me when is was 11 or 12. I looked up and a big brimmer cow had stepped out of the brush with a new born in tow not too far from him. She was not liking what she saw. I hollered for him to freeze and I started calling her to get her attention on me and not him. I was able to ease up to him and I basically put him him in line behind me and we walked together as I talked to her. It was pretty tense for both of us.

A friend of mine has several young boys and I'm always telling him they can't be out with the cows or work cows with us and he always tries to push it or doesn't pay attention. It makes me a nervous wreck. One got off the buggy in the pasture one time and I saw a cow perk up... then I saw the boy. I ran over and grabbed him and spun as I kicked at her head and hollered. Thought for sure she was about to smoke me but luckily she didn't. She was just a cross bred.

Those cows don't need guard dogs or livestock dogs to move them. They need need positive reinforcement, a calm handler, and good facilities.

I have stories and stories about dogs, kids, and cows.

If you go that route I would start with like weaned heifers and pen them up by the dogs and kids and stuff and let them acclimate with a good solid fence between them.

Having some Hereford cows and AI-ing out to Brahman bulls would probably work out also.

Dogs and kids are a risk with all cattle. It's an environmental deal if they have not been around them. With Brahman or Brahman Xs, it's more so.

Latest posts