What's the scoop on braford attitude?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not familiar with Bradford. But as with any breed, docility (or lack thereof) has a lot to do with their environment. Are you around them a lot? Yelling & screaming? How are they worked and how often? Is a hot shot your preferred method of moving cattle?

Moving slow and staying calm is best when working any kind of cattle, not just the ones with Brahman influence.

I have a hotshot, but the only time it ever gets used is if a cow or bull is just standing in the loading chute and won't move. A little bump with it on the hindquarter usually persuades them to get in the trailer.

You gonna buy them or make them?
I kinda figured making them would be a good idea. I've heard that if you're working too far down the line from them then you're gonna lose some qualities.

Might even play with a three way cross and keep the good heifers and sling the rest until I'm happy with what I have.

A lifelong rancher that I know that usually runs Brangus cows on a 27,000 acre ranch in central TX told me after they switched to some F-1 Tigerstripe cows. "They've got a short fuse that's easy to light"

Based on that I wouldn't recommend them for anyone but a full-time professional cowboy, they're not for part-timers, hobbyist or the elderly.

And that's not to say I don't like horses, btw, I've stayed fooling with horses during the time I've been out of cattle... I just prefer not to have to juke around on one after cattle if they can be handled another way.
I don't own horses. But when my crew shows up to help work cattle, they are all on horseback to bring them in. They're practically silent and there is no running or whooping. They round 'em up and stop to let the cattle get used to them. Then they apply pressure and slowly bring 'em in. It's truly amazing to watch. The other 99% of the time? It's just me and my Polaris - and a bucket. My girls are dog gentle, all hand feeders and will generally follow me if I need to work just one. Plus, I'm out there with them every day. They know & trust me. That's not to say some of the mamas don't get downright testy at calving! But I know which ones I need to give a little extra time and which ones I can tag/work their calves while they're still wet.
1647988856676.jpeg

I don't own horses. But when my crew shows up to help work cattle, they are all on horseback to bring them in. They're practically silent and there is no running or whooping. They round 'em up and stop to let the cattle get used to them. Then they apply pressure and slowly bring 'em in. It's truly amazing to watch. The other 99% of the time? It's just me and my Polaris - and a bucket. My girls are dog gentle, all hand feeders and will generally follow me if I need to work just one. Plus, I'm out there with them every day. They know & trust me. That's not to say some of the mamas don't get downright testy at calving! But I know which ones I need to give a little extra time and which ones I can tag/work their calves while they're still wet.
View attachment 14698
Not denying the usefulness of them, I like horses as stated and have owned some good ones, a few bad ones too. I'm just spoiled growing up being able to mostly work our stuff without them. I've needed horses more to get other horses someplace than cattle. My uncle used to buy horses by the trailer load and uh... some of the folks weren't so honest about the temperaments of their animals. Nothing like a fresh load of a dozen crazies holing up in the thick stuff.

View attachment 14698
Nice cattle, what is that tall white structure at the back?

I've raised F1 Braford and Simbrah in the past ...the Simbrah got the Braford beat on acting a fool..both parents could be dog gentle but those F1s are little balls of fire..Brafords are good for raising some fine babies.they are working cattle. ..im older now ,and prefer to knock em out of the way ..as opposed to being knocked outa the way

My little helpers are twins that have been raised on horses & cattle and they're as good (or better!) than many "cowboys". They don't have cell phones or get an allowance, but their dad (also pictured) rewards them by adding to their own growing herd. Whatever they raise & sell goes into their college fund or savings. Love those boys!

We have the water towers here, nothing like that.
the ones like TC pictured are becoming more common especially if built on a bit of high ground and they aren't supplying water for thousands of homes over a broad area.

On flatland (like where I live) the tall 4 legged towers are still the norm but get up into North Texas and Oklahoma you see a lot of the cylinder shaped tanks. The first time I saw them while working in Oklahoma, I thought they were some kind of silo.
This one is near my mother-in-law's house in North East Texas (Lamar County) near Tigertown.
tigertowntower.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts