What would you like to do that you have ever done?

Help Support CattleToday:

Thought about all day yesterday. There's not really anything I'm dying to do.
I love to hunt and fish , but really don't have much desire to travel to do it . I'm quite content with what I've done and what I have. I just want to be able to continue to do it.

I have several places id like to fish .. the Florida Keys. For tarpon snook and Goliath grouper . Halibut in Alaska. Tuna out of Venice Louisiana. South America for bill fish and dolphin . And peacock bass. Maybe the amazon for pacu and barramundi (sp)

This is probably going to sound silly to some of you, but I'm 55 years old and have never seen mountains. I hope to correct that in the next year or two.

Rafter S":1iw1sg4i said:
This is probably going to sound silly to some of you, but I'm 55 years old and have never seen mountains. I hope to correct that in the next year or two.
The Rockies are spectacular.

I am wanting to go see the Sequoia trees in CA, near Fresno. The valley of giants, Sequoia national forest. I really like being around big trees, I am not sure why, and those have got to be truly impressive in person. 2-3000 yrs old, some limbs bigger than any tree east of the MS River. What a sight it must be. Old cavalry stables INSIDE a hollow log.

I guess I'm either jaded or just lazy, but I really can't think of anything I have a strong desire to do or anywhere to go that I haven't already done or visited. Got all that wandering out of my system when I was young I suppose.

I wouldn't mind seeing Montana, but am afraid I would never come back here.

Anytime I see a thread like this, I'm always reminded of Charley Pride's song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQo3JrO1xA

Should be fun to take a river boat cruise up the Mississippi River. Also the river cruises in the European countries.

wacocowboy":2c1ul9cw said:
I've touched a lot of venomous snakes but would love to feel a Gaboon viper. This could happen soon as Iknow a guy who messes with snakes.

I always wanted to ride in the PRCA and PBR was pretty good but injuries got me. Would love to own a bucking bull of the year.

Would love to be at least part owner of a horse in the Kentucky Derby. It would blow my mind to be owner of a triple crown winner.

Bitis gabonica. The debate that always ensues when you get a group of herpetologist together: what is the most deadly serpent on the planet. The King Cobra usually wins but many consider the Gaboon viper more deadly.
Extremely long fangs, large size and more importantly the complexity of the venom (avoid calling it poison, it is not).

I have not handled one but I did see what I think was the world record size for a Gaboon. I was in Harare, Zimbabwe in 1999. A friend who has his own collection of live snakes took me to a serpentarium. An old black gentleman managed all the snakes. There was a Gaboon viper that appeared to me without measurement to be world record in size. It was so large it appeared grotesque to the eye.

PS: The venom of the Gaboon Viper contains a component of almost every category of serpent venom. There are three primary categories of serpent venom:
1. Neurotoxin, ex. King Cobra
2. Haemolytoxic, ex. Rattlesnakes
3. Histolytic, ex. Cottonmouth

In addition, venom can be laced with numerous proteolytic enzymes that wreck havoc on the body:
Phosphomonoesterase
Arginine ester hydrolase
Phosphodiesterase
Thrombin-like enzyme
Acetylcholinesterase
Collagenase
RNase
Hyaluronidase
DNase
Phospholipase A2 (A)
5'-Nucleotidase
Phospholipase B
L-Amino acid oxidase
Phospholipase C
Lactate dehydrogenase
Adenosine triphosphatase

Fly a plane, sail a boat, dance, play the violin, sing (well). Fire a Pennsylvania rifle, hunt quail with a well trained dog and a Purdy shotgun. Own a really good (dress) wrist watch. Own a Nampeo bowl and a Newcomb College Vase. Have a couple of pair of custom made shoes/boots. Donate a lot of money to shelters for battered women and children and animals. See the Grand Canyon. Go to Aubrac, France in May for the cow parade. Go to Borneo for the gathering of the tribes. Visit Mongolia, Tibet and Napal.

CG and GB, you guys are are two ends of the spectrum. CG wants it all and and GB wants for nothing.

I don't mean to sound smug but I am semi retired and even though I work most days I have the perfect life. I closed all of my real estate offices and just moved into my home office. No rent, no hassle, and time to work with the cows just makes it perfect for me. I want only to live forever and enjoy this.

Margonme":1nx3slm4 said:
wacocowboy":1nx3slm4 said:
I've touched a lot of venomous snakes but would love to feel a Gaboon viper. This could happen soon as Iknow a guy who messes with snakes.

I always wanted to ride in the PRCA and PBR was pretty good but injuries got me. Would love to own a bucking bull of the year.

Would love to be at least part owner of a horse in the Kentucky Derby. It would blow my mind to be owner of a triple crown winner.

Bitis gabonica. The debate that always ensues when you get a group of herpetologist together: what is the most deadly serpent on the planet. The King Cobra usually wins but many consider the Gaboon viper more deadly.
Extremely long fangs, large size and more importantly the complexity of the venom (avoid calling it poison, it is not).

I have not handled one but I did see what I think was the world record size for a Gaboon. I was in Harare, Zimbabwe in 1999. A friend who has his own collection of live snakes took me to a serpentarium. An old black gentleman managed all the snakes. There was a Gaboon viper that appeared to me without measurement to be world record in size. It was so large it appeared grotesque to the eye.

PS: The venom of the Gaboon Viper contains a component of almost every category of serpent venom. There are three primary categories of serpent venom:
1. Neurotoxin, ex. King Cobra
2. Haemolytoxic, ex. Rattlesnakes
3. Histolytic, ex. Cottonmouth

In addition, venom can be laced with numerous proteolytic enzymes that wreck havoc on the body:
Phosphomonoesterase
Arginine ester hydrolase
Phosphodiesterase
Thrombin-like enzyme
Acetylcholinesterase
Collagenase
RNase
Hyaluronidase
DNase
Phospholipase A2 (A)
5'-Nucleotidase
Phospholipase B
L-Amino acid oxidase
Phospholipase C
Lactate dehydrogenase
Adenosine triphosphatase

Pretty awesome snake. I really want to see a mature big one I think seeing those fangs would be awesome. It would be neat to see a Coral with the smallest set of injectors next to a Gaboon with the largest set.

Poison
For other uses, see Poison (disambiguation).

The international pictogramme for poisonous substances. The skull and crossbones has long been a standard symbol for poison.
In biology, poisons are substances that cause disturbances in organisms, usually by chemical reaction or other activity on the molecular scale, when an organism absorbs a sufficient quantity.[1][2]

The fields of medicine (particularly veterinary) and zoology often distinguish a poison from a toxin, and from a venom. Toxins are poisons produced by organisms in nature, and venoms are toxins injected by a bite or sting (this is exclusive to animals). The difference between venom and other poisons is the delivery method.

From the way I understand Wikipedia is, the difference between venom and other poisons is in the delivery method?

Bigfoot":1xnr6q2d said:
When I was a kid, I remember seeing two movies that made a big impression on me. One was My Side of the Mountain. A little boy went out in the wilderness, and lived on his own for a while. The other was I believe called Alone in the Wilderness. Most have probably seen it, a guy retires and builds a cabin by hand up in Alaska. He lives there off the land for several years.

I actually have no interest in living like that for any extended period of time. I have actually day dreamed of living like that for a short period though. Some place I could go with a horse, and a pack mule. Maybe stay out a couple of weeks. I'll never do it, but I can dream.
I didn't realize there was a movie. I'll have to see it. Read the book when I was about 10yo. Yes, made a big impression on me too. Alaska is on my bucket list. I want to drive up, sell the truck, buy a plane and spend the summer visiting every remote village I can, then ride the ferry back to WA and hitchhike home in time for opening day.
Edit- I read 'My Side of the Mountain'. Never heard of the other, but will seek it.

Latest posts