What would you do if an intruder broke into your home (Poll)

Help Support CattleToday:

What would you do if an intruder broke into your home?

• Call 911?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hide or Flee the Home?

• Shoot the Intruder?

• Total voters
The nephew of a lady that works with me did the same thing - came home drunk and went into the wrong apartment. The people that lived there shot him dead and were not charged with anything. Can't say I blame them - I would have done the same thing and when I voiced my opinion I sure made a lot of people here at the office mad.

VanC":1wxj02jb said:
Had a friend years ago who came home drunk one night, walked into the wrong apartment and passed out on the couch. People who lived there were sleeping in the bedroom and for some reason left their door unlocked. When they found him they called the police, he was arrested, and ended up in an alcohol treatment program. He didn't deserve to be shot.

Kind of like an uban version of Goldie Lox's and the 3 bears. :lol:

That would have been sad if he was shot, but I imagine that kind of incident is 1 in a Million. Most times if someone is in your house uninvited they are there to cause harm to your family either financially or physically.

VanC":1wxj02jb said:
I guess my point is that every situation is different and you really don't know how you'll react until it happens. My opinion is if you feel threatened, and you're armed, shoot and sort the rest out later. The laws in my state definitely favor the intruder, but I'd rather deal with that than see my family harmed.

I agree, in reality if I came face to face with an intruder how I react would totally depend on how comftorable my reaction time was and how, when and where I caught them.

If I saw him from afar and he had a TV in his hands and I knew I safely could detain him I would not shoot. But if I meet him in dark and do not feel 100% secure in detaining him I would shoot to kill.

If I felt they would harm me or family I would shoot to kill. Would hate to have to kill someone but I am going to protect my family and myself. Better them than us.

With these dogs I think that an intruder would go on down the road to an easier target.

If someone is knocking on your door for a long time get ready. Had that happen to me when I was about 12. Someone came up after my parents and siblings left. Must have been watching the house. He rang the doorbell for about 5 minutes. I looked out (he didn't see me)and I didn't know him so I didn't answer the door. I was in the back part of the house but I thought I heard the door slam. Parents came back and that evening my mom went to get her purse and found it and mine missing(we set them on the counter by the door back then). So we figured the guy came in and saw stuff cooking on the stove and must have figured they would be right back so just grabbed the purses and left. He got all of $6. After that we started locking the doors, got a guard dog and if someone came up I didn't know I got the gun.

Bez>":e4exuo6f said:
millstreaminn":e4exuo6f said:
I can't say I would or wouldn't shoot to kill, depends on the circumstances, but I know I would shoot to wound. A shot in the leg-shoulder should slow someone down...

Be careful!

Survivors can and have successfully sued for compensation.

I know it does not make sense - but better for the intruder to die or be completely unharmed. Otherwise you stand a good chance of paying.

Bez>
Bez is exactly correct on this.

As far as this wounding business, I know of a case where a woman shot an intruder several times with a .38 and he was still trying to fight her when he finally bled down and died. She was not trying to wound him. She was just trying to shoot him.

Another case a cop had shot a man in the stomach with a .40 and the man was on the cop beating him bad. Another man came to the cops aid and shot the man 5 times with a .45 (this is not a typographical error) before he was stopped. The shot that finally stopped him was a head shot. The man was NOT on drugs.

I know this is hard to believe but it happened.

well...I wouldn't shoot to kill...i'm too old to go to prison, and with all the liberals nowadays...that's where i'd end up in that situation...but I do have a taser, and he'd be getting shot right in his chest upon walkin in the door...and i'm holding the trigger until the wife calls 911 and the police show up to my house...and no...there's not a police station anywhere close to my house :lol:

Ryder":3vke0v3w said:
Bez>":3vke0v3w said:
millstreaminn":3vke0v3w said:
I can't say I would or wouldn't shoot to kill, depends on the circumstances, but I know I would shoot to wound. A shot in the leg-shoulder should slow someone down...

Be careful!

I know it does not make sense - but better for the intruder to die or be completely unharmed. Otherwise you stand a good chance of paying.

Bez>

As far as this wounding business, I know of a case where a woman shot an intruder several times with a .38 and he was still trying to fight her when he finally bled down and died. She was not trying to wound him. She was just trying to shoot him.

Another case a cop had shot a man in the stomach with a .40 and the man was on the cop beating him bad. Another man came to the cops aid and shot the man 5 times with a .45 (this is not a typographical error) before he was stopped. The shot that finally stopped him was a head shot. The man was NOT on drugs.

Reminds me of Legion.

millstreaminn":76toueqa said:

And leave you wide open to a lawsuit that the intruder would win.

If you enter my house uninvited, you're fair game - I don't care what the circumstances are!

I never new that a pistol , gun or rifle was good for wounding the intended target.

I may need to get out or read more.

Ryder":3knmvx3r said:
Bez>":3knmvx3r said:
millstreaminn":3knmvx3r said:

Be careful!

Bez>

Adrenalin is a powerful thing.

GMN

Victoria":3c1100rm said:
Ryder":3c1100rm said:

Reminds me of Legion.
Do you mean Legion like in Mark 5:10?

Bez>":147tko0k said:
millstreaminn":147tko0k said:

Be careful!

Bez>

Well I didn't know it was better for an intruder to die than get wounded but I still stand by my first statement that my actions would depend on the situation. If I caught someone exiting my property and shot them in the back and killed them I think I would be equally liable for their death.

millstreaminn":2n5gg8o9 said:
Bez>":2n5gg8o9 said:
millstreaminn":2n5gg8o9 said:

Be careful!

Bez>

Well I didn't know it was better for an intruder to die than get wounded but I still stand by my first statement that my actions would depend on the situation. If I caught someone exiting my property and shot them in the back and killed them I think I would be equally liable for their death.
Backshooting would definently be a no, no. Can't justify it as self defense if they are going away from you.
They may need shooting, but in today's legal world ...

Ryder":2kuzk12q said:
millstreaminn":2kuzk12q said:
Bez>":2kuzk12q said:
millstreaminn":2kuzk12q said:

Be careful!

Bez>

Backshooting would definently be a no, no. Can't justify it as self defense if they are going away from you.

You'll have to catch them the next day when they are coming back for things they spotted but couldn't carry out on the last trip.

backhoeboogie":3rjsofol said:
Ryder":3rjsofol said:
millstreaminn":3rjsofol said:
Bez>":3rjsofol said:
millstreaminn":3rjsofol said:

Be careful!

Bez>

You'll have to catch them the next day when they are coming back for things they spotted but couldn't carry out on the last trip.

I have never, (to my knowledge) had anything stolen from my farm. Keys are always in the tractors, 4 wheelers, cars, trucks, garages open and unlocked as well as the house all the time. Where I live, it's unusual for folks to lock their homes when they are away or remove the keys from a vehicle. I guess I'm lucky to still live in a small town where "everyone knows everyone else" and most people are trustworthy.

millstreaminn":2of58uvc said:
backhoeboogie":2of58uvc said:
Ryder":2of58uvc said:
Bez>":2of58uvc said:

Be careful!

Bez>

I have never, (to my knowledge) had anything stolen from my farm. Keys are always in the tractors, 4 wheelers, cars, trucks, garages open and unlocked as well as the house all the time. Where I live, it's unusual for folks to lock their homes when they are away or remove the keys from a vehicle. I guess I'm lucky to still live in a small town where "everyone knows everyone else" and most people are trustworthy.

I remember those days. I miss them.

Calling the Police just aint going to work where we live. Even if I gave them directions and even if they did not get lost it would still take them 45 minutes to get here.
Our back door is pretty close to our front door so gathering everybody up and hiding or escaping is not an option.
S.S.S.

backhoeboogie":3grxaior said:
millstreaminn":3grxaior said:
backhoeboogie":3grxaior said:
Ryder":3grxaior said:
Bez>":3grxaior said:

Be careful!

Bez>

I remember those days. I miss them.

Me to. Problem is with meth heads from town. Two of the neibhouring outfits got broke into in the last couple of years.
The one guy was away from home. They took everything. The other guy was home and they stole his truck. Friggen dogs didnt bark.

Oklahoma has the "Make my day law." You can use deadly force to protect life or property. When you see one of those signs in Oklahoma that says trespassers will be shot; probably a good idea to believe it.

3MR":1yfvcxle said:
Oklahoma has the "Make my day law." You can use deadly force to protect life or property. When you see one of those signs in Oklahoma that says trespassers will be shot; probably a good idea to believe it.
So does Texas.My sign says" I Don't Dial 911-I Dial .357. :D

Latest posts