What to run pto on?

Help Support CattleToday:

machslammer

Reaction score
For mowing machine, baler, tether? Heard diff opinions. Our mower threw a seal and burnt up the gear box before we caught it and the guy at the shop said only run it about 1800 2000 and upshift if you wanna go faster but the baler guys said keep around the 2400 (540) mark. .confused

especially mowers, I run at full throttle.. out diskbine actually sees most of it's life at a little over rated speed since the tractor has much too wide a gear spacing.

Just run at your tractors PTO rated speed, the little mark on the tac that says pto. JD 4 cylinders are around 2100-2200, 6 cylinder tractors are around 2300-2400.

we run our disc cutter at 1800 to 2000rpms.and no higher.baling we run the same speed.

Our mark is 2400 on the 2 jd we have. .but the guys who sells the kuhn mowers says that is way to high and burns out seals just like ours did. Said 1800 to 2000 is plenty. . Any higher and it burns stuff up as hot as it gets in there. .

sim.-ang.king":33fwreo4 said:
Just run at your tractors PTO rated speed, the little mark on the tac that says pto. JD 4 cylinders are around 2100-2200, 6 cylinder tractors are around 2300-2400.

That's interesting. .didn't realize the pto settings are in diff spots. .that should say right there that the machines can be ran at a slower setting i guess

machslammer":2lsx36yl said:
sim.-ang.king":2lsx36yl said:

That's interesting. .didn't realize the pto settings are in diff spots. .that should say right there that the machines can be ran at a slower setting i guess

This is the different engine rpms to achieve 540 pto rpms, not different pto rpms.

slick4591":19m1qsoo said:
If I should run the PTO at the 2400 mark, then what does the mark at 1700 mean?

If you tractor is equipped with a shifter that says 540/540E you can use the economy mode to obtain 540 pto rpms at 1700 engine rpms. This is great and saves fuel as long as the implement doesn't bog the engine down. It could damage the engine.

bigbull338":2hx79vt9 said:
we run our disc cutter at 1800 to 2000rpms.and no higher.baling we run the same speed.

Same here except I sometimes will slow the pto down and increase ground speed in small windrows with the baler. Running implements at 540 pto rpms when its not needed waste fuel and increases wear to me.

That's for an economy pto, if your tractor has it. You can run the engine slower but still maintain 540 pto, good for light work. You should have a gear shifter for it if it does, or they just used the same console for all of them.

We run discbines and round balers at PTO mark. Rakes go off feel which is usually way lower. Our JD 336 small square balers like 1600-1800. Easier on knotters and they just run smoother.

My baler is rated at 80 strokes per minute, I usually go around 60-70.. it's got it's own engine with no tach, so it's by feel.. in light crops I might slow it down a little, but in heavy crops it's easier on it if it takes smaller bites a little faster.

most things that cut rely on speed, so discbines need to be run at least close to rated speed, they also make a better windrow if they throw the hay fast.. combines are CRITICAL to run at the right speed, things like rakes, etc I can perfectly see running them slow.

I really wish I had an 'economy' pto on both of my tractors, especially since they have too wide a gear spacing. the IH684 now has bale wagon duty, and I increased the chain drive sprocket to get some better speed out of it.. before it just felt like it was WAY too slow, and I'd have to rev the pizz out of it to get anything happening.

I had a goal this year to cut my entire first cut on 1 tank of fuel.. I did it, but I wouldn't have done another acre.. it was running on fumes... it was about 25ish acres and it was the MF165.. I'll be able to tell you how many total bales in a couple days.. 600 so far and I'm not half way baled. The baler has been doing much better with the rebuilt engine.. 5 gallons pretty much did 650 bales. New carb that I can fine tune goes a long way for that!

Latest posts