Part replacement prior to engine swap

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Today, I'm buying a used 04 model v10 to put in my 99.

Engine has 120k miles. And appears to have been taken care of pretty well. Was pulled from a stretch excursion limo to replace with a cummins. The seller seems trustworthy, rund a diesel shop. I'm buying it from the diesel shop I think.

I'm thinking, before it goes in, I should go ahead and do head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, plugs, coils, water pump, oil pump, thermostat, and obviously intake manifold gaskets and throttle body.

The head gasket replacement makes sense, right? Should I do valve stem seals while I'm right there? I do work the dog **** out of this truck. I can get a gasket set with head bolts for $185 shipped.

Anything else that should be replaced before I put the engine in my truck? Anything in planning that's completely unnecessary?

Thanks in advance.

I would do plugs for sure incase any give you troubles. Way easier to extract with the engine on a stand.

If gaskets aren't leaking I probably wouldn't mess with them.

If you do all the tear down and part replacement that you have listed you aren't far off from having the heads checked over and surfaced. Spin new crank and rod bearings in, and a dingle ball hone and re-ring. And then you should have just spent the money to rebuild what you had instead buying a take out motor then dump a bunch of money in it.

Has the engine already been pulled? I'd be inclined to ask for a compression check before buying, and done while I'm waiting... and then if it's good don't tear the engine apart.

You could rebuild what you have with not a lot more than you are suggesting be done with the new engine. Maybe you could do that and have it for a spare.

Last edited:
Go too far then you get into the "while you're in there" situation and end up rebuilding the whole thing.

Manifold hardware and gaskets for sure, even if they look okay. Super common on those. Definitely replace the rear main, oil pan is not a bad idea since you usually can't remove it in a 4x4 truck and it'll allow you to see what kind of condition the engine is in.

I'd leave the head gaskets alone. Water pump isn't a bad idea if it hasn't been replaced before. Thermostat wouldn't hurt either.

I would put a set a plugs in it as mentioned, they are a known problem on those. Coils take 5 minutes to swap out under the hood so I'd run them and keep a couple around.

Got the dead motor out. Found water standing in two cylindOpposite side than I thought the problem was. No clue how she was running.

Gonna have parts Tuesday and should have the engine in by end of the weekend.

I'm going to leave the EGR crap off the new engine. Think it'll run alright? I really don't wanna mess with taking exhaust manifolds off.

Attachments

• 20240216_192420.jpg
    20240216_192420.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240215_144823.jpg
    20240215_144823.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240214_181419.jpg
    20240214_181419.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 20
Go too far then you get into the "while you're in there" situation and end up rebuilding the whole thing.

Manifold hardware and gaskets for sure, even if they look okay. Super common on those. Definitely replace the rear main, oil pan is not a bad idea since you usually can't remove it in a 4x4 truck and it'll allow you to see what kind of condition the engine is in.

I'd leave the head gaskets alone. Water pump isn't a bad idea if it hasn't been replaced before. Thermostat wouldn't hurt either.

I would put a set a plugs in it as mentioned, they are a known problem on those. Coils take 5 minutes to swap out under the hood so I'd run them and keep a couple around.
Appreciate the advice there.

Gonna be cranking her up this afternoon.
That garage almost looks like Hubert Gordons garage just east of you down 131 past the old Flat Gap school/Fire department on the right heading west. My wife grew up on that road and knows everybody well around there. If not them they sure could be some good help as Tony is a heck of a mechanic.

That garage almost looks like Hubert Gordons garage just east of you down 131 past the old Flat Gap school/Fire department on the right heading west. My wife grew up on that road and knows everybody well around there. If not them they sure could be some good help as Tony is a heck of a mechanic.
I live 1 mile down from Gordon's garage. 😃 What's your wife's maiden name? My Mom was a Dalton/Lawson and went to Flat Gap school. Rev. Carl Dalton is my Papaw. Wilma Lawson was my Mamaw. Pamela Dalton is me Madre. We are kin to some Trents also. Everyone over here is family it seems.

The garage we been working in is located in Mohawk. Probably a stone's throw from @sstterry .

I hope this is the old engine.

Ken
Most definitely. Lol. That'd sure be terrible!

The used engine looks and sounds brand new. Short from the head and block everything is brand new. All new gaskets except for head gaskets.

Kept the low mile front engine accessories. Found a good lookin front end gonna swap over. Truck should look much better than before too.

So, drove the truck home last night. It did well. Only issue is it's still not getting up to operating temperature. The faster the truck goes. The cooler the gauge shows.

Determined the fan clutch is stuck and won't disengage. Getting a new one this morning and will have it on this evening. Got 56 rolls sold to haul on Sunday and another 130 to move this coming week. SO hopefully she's good to go by then. I need to recoup the $$$. 😃

Latest posts