One-Stroke' Engine

Help Support CattleToday:

Would it even be possible to make a true 1 stroke engine?

The one in the article is a 2 stroke, but the company calls it a 1 stroke so folks won't associate them with 2 strokes that take a gas/fuel mixture. If that's the case, I'm calling my 97 Ford 7.3 a hybrid.

The one in the article is a 2 stroke, but the company calls it a 1 stroke so folks won't associate them with 2 strokes that take a gas/fuel mixture. If that's the case, I'm calling my 97 Ford 7.3 a hybrid.

I don't think so, not with a piston engine anyway.

I had to look quite a bit just to see how the thing works. 4 pistons on each end that fire together, with swash plates for crankshafts. Kinda like a variable displacement piston hydraulic pump, but opposite.

Be interesting to see if it comes to anything. There's been many of these "revolutionary" new engines that prove to be impossible to feasibly manufacture or have a reasonable lifespan.

I don't think so, not with a piston engine anyway.

I had to look quite a bit just to see how the thing works. 4 pistons on each end that fire together, with swash plates for crankshafts. Kinda like a variable displacement piston hydraulic pump, but opposite.

Be interesting to see if it comes to anything. There's been many of these "revolutionary" new engines that prove to be impossible to feasibly manufacture or have a reasonable lifespan.
I see that in the animation there's no way to pull the piston back.. Also, unless you have a tuned pipe exhaust and run at a fixed RPM and load, there's no way you're getting the fresh air charge in there, unless, like an old Detroit 2 stroke diesel you have a supercharger feeding it

Pie in the sky idea is what I see.. I worked on an engine that used vanes that went up and down ramps to achieve a true 4 stroke, but since it had like 10 vanes on a rotor it was nearly always firing.. Not sure if they ever got that working, but I haven't heard anything about it in like 20 years

Exactly. Conventional designs became conventional for a reason.

I've always thought of the rotary engine as being one-stroke..(it will intake-compress-fire and exhausts in less than 30 degrees of 360.)

A stroke refers to a piston traveling through a cylinder. If it travels up and then down, thats one turn of the crankshaft and is "two" strokes. If it travels up and down twice that's two turns of the crankshaft which is four strokes. Hence 2 cycle and 4 cycle. Don't know how you can get to a one stroke with a piston driven engine.

Latest posts