What to run pto on?

Help Support CattleToday:

my disc mower sounds the best at around 2100 rpm.. but i was running it at 2300 rpm yesterday since i was cutting in grass as tall as the tractor.

baler i usually run at 1500 - 1900 depending on thickness of the windrow

bush hog i usually run at 1500 unless its super thick

sickle mower when i used it was run at about 1500 all the time

Sounds like varying opinions and it all works. Our cab tractor JD which we bale with has an Economy PTO setting so we use to bale with, but our open cab JD doesn't have the economy that we rake and cut with so just seeing if necessary to run that full speed for that long during these hot days.

A Tedder rarely if ever needs to run at full 540. You kinda need to watch it and see what kind of spread you're getting, Different crops and different moisture levels are going to spread differently. They usually Ted with the JD 5065M here in PTO-E and the tach around 1200-1300.

Not much 540 stuff here. Swather tractor gets run right at 1000 PTO speed which is 1900 engine RPM on the tractor.

I run my 1000 PTO baler around 700-800 PTO speed and idle down lower than that for tying and ejecting bale. Engine RPM is 2200 at 1000 PTO speed. I run baler around 1500 engine RPM. 105HP baler tractor pulls the baler just fine and it seems a lot easier on things :idea:

Latest posts