What to do with grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Which would you do?

• 50 acres of grass to graze, 30 acres in hay on 50/50 shares.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 80 acres of grass to graze, buy hay.

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters

chaded

Reaction score
I've ran this thought back and forth through my mind for probably over a year now as to what is the better option. I know the answer is "it depends" and there are variables. But here's the situation: I have 50 acres now in pasture and 30 that gets cut for hay on 50/50. I pay 100% of fertilizer. The guy that has cut my hay for a couple years is the type that I wouldn't be surprised one day he doesn't do it for one reason or another so I am always thinking about what I will do if that day comes sooner then later. I also want to best use my grass.

There is no option of having someone else do it (others want 2/3 with me fertilizing). And, I am not buying hay equipment to hay 30 acres.

Hay is usually not hard to get around here, especially if you are hauling it. I will have the upfront cost of fencing and water (I have access to water and electric).

I guess I may have answered my own question but I wanted to get thoughts from others on this.

sim.-ang.king said:
Any of them willing to do not on shares?

I know of one guy around here that bales hay for people and he has so much of it to do he has trouble getting to all of it, especially in any sort of timely fashion.

Pretty much if you can't pay someone to bale and won't buy equipment to do it it yourself, the only option you have is to fence it and graze.

You don't need $100,000 wort of equipment to bale 30 acres... :2cents:

If you are giving half away now, i'ld almost bet you could graze it twice early in the season and stockpile after Sept 1. Then strip graze and you'ld probably need around 1.25 of stockpile to make it through winter if you normally feed for 100-110 days for winter. Doing it this way you wouldn't have more cattle, but your books may look better. Buy some hay for deep snow or ice... Turning cows in on grass after a freezing rain is a waste. Good luck either way.

sstterry said:
kenny thomas said:
Rotational graze, stockpile fescue, and buy a little hay to finish out the winter.

I never question Kenny on how to manage pastures, but my question is, how many cows? I think it makes a big difference.
You are correct to ask how many cows. It makes all the difference.

kenny thomas said:
sstterry said:
kenny thomas said:
Rotational graze, stockpile fescue, and buy a little hay to finish out the winter.

I never question Kenny on how to manage pastures, but my question is, how many cows? I think it makes a big difference.

How improved is the pasture? Makes a difference on stocking rates.
Cheapest feed you can buy is fertilizer.

sstterry said:
kenny thomas said:

Right now I have 14 and rotate them fairly frequently.

chaded said:
sstterry said:
kenny thomas said:

Right now I have 14 and rotate them fairly frequently.
14 with 80 acres managed good should mean only feeding when the snow is deep in your area. But it doesn't happen all at once. Do what you can for the grazing and don't concentrate on the hay. Grazing is cheaper.

Caustic Burno said:
kenny thomas said:
sstterry said:

You should not only focus on fertilizer, but make sure your soil is the correct PH. I would get a soil test now and get lime down if it is needed. You will be amazed at the difference next spring. A few years of adding lime and fertilizer is what I believe Kenny is talking about when he says it won't happen over night.

sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:

You should not only focus on fertilizer, but make sure your soil is the correct PH. I would get a soil test now and get lime down if it is needed. You will be amazed at the difference next spring. A few years of adding lime and fertilizer is what I believe Kenny is talking about when he says it won't happen over night.

That's part of being a grass farmer 101.
Good grass = good teeth = longevity the rest is pretty simple. Grass in front of the cow bull behind.
Rule 2 there is no such thing as too much hay.

14 head is 1 cow to 5.7 acres. i am at around 1 cow to 2 acres. You have lots of room....just learn to manage it.

Banjo said:
14 head is 1 cow to 5.7 acres. i am at around 1 cow to 2 acres. You have lots of room....just learn to manage it.

Last year I ran 14 head at 2.5 acres per cow. I got 6 months of grazing and fed hay the rest of the year. I felt like I could of done a little better with my rotating (fixed that this year) but the curveball was 3 months with no rain.

This year I picked up around 20 acres next to me to lease so I am running at around 4 acres per cow and rotating better then last year. I did not include that acreage in the equation because I don't have a long term deal yet so I can't count on it. But, it should give me a general idea of what I can do hopefully.

One of the hardest things to learn is this.....leaving grass in the pasture is OK. Its actually what you want. If they can just go thru and eat the top off of it .....that is ok. Its going to grow back much faster. Short grass regrows very slowly.
Most of the grass that cattle will leave in fescue country is fescue.....right now its not very palatable but it will be after it freezes a time or two on it.
Just don't make the mistake of clipping it down too short.....only cut the top of the leaves......that will help it stay vegetative.

Fescue can be a terrible thing here for 3-4 months of the year and the greatest thing ever for the next 8 months. I have posted before forage test from December. Much better than any hay I can produce

Latest posts