What to do with grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Which would you do?

• 50 acres of grass to graze, 30 acres in hay on 50/50 shares.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 80 acres of grass to graze, buy hay.

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters
chaded said:
kenny thomas said:
What size rolls weighing how much.

Your guess is as good as mine. Lol. They are 5x4's. The guy I do shares with says they're around 1000lbs. I tend to think they are likely around 800. But I couldn't tell you for sure.

That's a good price if they actually weigh 1000.
I weighed 3 rolls from 3 different rollers and they weighed 700-1000. They looked very much the same

kenny thomas said:
chaded said:
kenny thomas said:

Your guess is as good as mine. Lol. They are 5x4's. The guy I do shares with says they're around 1000lbs. I tend to think they are likely around 800. But I couldn't tell you for sure.

That's a good price if they actually weigh 1000.
I weighed 3 rolls from 3 different rollers and they weighed 700-1000. They looked very much the same

Where I am getting my price is I take the total fertilizer bill and divide it by the number of bales I get for my half, since I am giving the other half to the guy that bales it. If I buy it somewhere else it might be a little more (unless we have a drought) and especially if it was delivered. But, if I went that route my goal would to be to minimize the amount of hay fed as much as possible.

Hay they never eat is the cheapest.
I am still out on where the perfect combination of stockpile and feeding hay actually is. I'm a lazy grass farmer so I like having lots of grass to turn into.

chaded said:
kenny thomas said:

Since I have got a set of scales and started weighing bales I have found out that very few 4x5s weigh 1000 lb. I have seen them weigh as little as 550 lbs.

I agree with what Kenny and some others told you, keep same number of head, rotational graze, stockpile, buy hay. Even if you pay a little more for bought hay you're money ahead because your putting the nutrients from their hay on your pasture when you feed it.Id cut down the number of days you're feeding hay as much as possible.

hillbilly beef man said:
chaded said:
kenny thomas said:

Since I have got a set of scales and started weighing bales I have found out that very few 4x5s weigh 1000 lb. I have seen them weigh as little as 550 lbs.

Depends on the grass here on average a 4x5 weighs 800 lbs. Paraguay Bahia makes a much heavier bale.

Well, the day i have to decide what to do has come a lot sooner then i thought it would. The guy that was doing my hay stopped by the other day and said he wasn't doing it anymore. Him and his business partner (ex father in law) had a falling out.

They only cut 1/3 of my field and their half of the bales are still sitting in the field along with their tractor and baler.…

On one hand it doesn't make financial sense for me to make my own hay but its this kind of stuff that makes you realize why people do it.

Latest posts