what should I pay a friend with a goosneck to haul 10 steers to the sale?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd probably add a case pocket knife to the 100.00. I keep several new ones around it makes it a little more personal.
having a little bunch of knives around is a GREAT idea! I am going to help him with his green swimming pool, may buy him a rather expensive test kit to get him started. I gave him $150, gas is still up though not as bad as a month ago.

I think what you did was fair, and a little extra like the pool tester is a nice extra he will use and appreciate. Gotta figure not only the gas and wear and tear, but that his time is worth something also... We paid the one guy who will come and haul for us when we need more than one trailer, $100, last year... all he had to do is back up to the chute and load... good drive and road for a mile, and then interstate, for about 20 couple miles. This year it will be at least 150 if we need the 2nd trailer. We do favors back and forth with him too... and gas/fuel is ALOT higher this year.

I think what you did was fair, and a little extra like the pool tester is a nice extra he will use and appreciate. Gotta figure not only the gas and wear and tear, but that his time is worth something also... We paid the one guy who will come and haul for us when we need more than one trailer, $100, last year... all he had to do is back up to the chute and load... good drive and road for a mile, and then interstate, for about 20 couple miles. This year it will be at least 150 if we need the 2nd trailer. We do favors back and forth with him too... and gas/fuel is ALOT higher this year.
he's a young guy with a family that has helped out here a lot. another freind of his kind of screwed him over this spring and I am trying to give him a little fast work/cash when I can. I used to pay 100 whenever somebody from the branding crew hauled a load in, but with gas the way it has been and the fact he wasn't already here for other work I wanted to double check.

he's a young guy with a family that has helped out here a lot. another freind of his kind of screwed him over this spring and I am trying to give him a little fast work/cash when I can. I used to pay 100 whenever somebody from the branding crew hauled a load in, but with gas the way it has been and the fact he wasn't already here for other work I wanted to double check.
Good on you.

$4 to the loaded mile with fuel how it is and a sweat equity kicker for taking his rig off pavement farther than just to a corral, $100-150. Or $100 and a steak dinner somewhere with interesting taxidermy.

Nobody ever offers me steak for work 😔
I never get a steak dinner either.

I figure I'm not great company...
Some say I'm a grumpy old so and so.
Others say I can be a bit arrogant.
Most say all I wanna talk about is cows.......
🤣

Eh. It's whatever

Most say all I wanna talk about is cows.......
🤣

Eh. It's whatever
The number of times I've watched my wife's eyes glaze over listening to the nuances of certain breeds, methods, grazing systems, etc. She loves ag, too, I think she just prefers to plug it and play it.

She loves to brag to people that I can jaw on about almost every breed though lmao.

Edit: I may be even worse, I'll do it over goats, sheep, equines, and hogs too.

Last edited:
(My friend with a gooseneck) won't give me a price.
20 miles loaded. all but the 5 is on interstate.
$5 a loaded mile ($100) is more than fair.

But what concerns me is you would mention his long silly looking neck and I hope that you don't treat him any differently than your friends with normal necks. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts