Skid Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

I will say this, I have both open and closed cabs and as much as I like A/C and heat and no dust, the open cab is more universal. I use my open cab as a rough terrain forklift. If you put forks on an enclosed cab and you need to lift the load some and want to get out to do something you can't open the door. If you don't use forks the encloses cab is pure luxury. Either way you go, get the quick attach. That's a great luxury In its self
You are right about the door. My wheeled machine was a Case 450 and I hated not being able to get out or talk to someone without lowering the boom all the way. The track skid is a Kubota and being able to open the door to get out or talk with the ground guy while running makes all the difference for ranch or farm type work.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think the majority opinion is tracked machines are more capable but pricier to buy and maintain. Wheeled machines while less capable are still a very handy machine, cheaper to buy and maintain.
So, if I were to go either way I would likely be satisfied, maybe more satisfied with tracks lol
Hi Silver. I have a C175 New Holland that's used in my construction company and around the farm. I love the stability of tracks. I also like the low compaction when getting first cutting of hay off my fields when the ground is still soft. However, several things to consider are the track designs and overall design of controls and preventative maintenance!
I hate the track design of mine. It holds mud in between cab and track and is a son of a bitch to clean out all the time. If you don't, it will freeze and then you have to heat it and chip it out and that's very time consuming. They make better track designs now, but it comes at a cost of emissions ****! Being cold where you are, cab enclosure and heat are definitely needed. Mine doesn't have it and it's cold putting out hay!! Get the hand controls. Foot pedals suck and can be dangerous if not cleaned out in muddy conditions. They tend to be cold running and I have to put mine inside and plug in block heater or it struggles in our cold weather, so with your weather, this will be a necessity! I've ran many and I like the newer Kubotas, John Deere's, and Takeuchi's. Those three are arranged in price order around here. You do have to consider availability of parts and dealers near you if like me, you buy them to keep and use. Mine has 3,000 hours and major problem I had was self inflicted. I never changed hydraulic drive motor gear oil in hubs and they failed at 2,750 hours. $17,000 later I have two new drive motors!! Make sure you keep up with PMs on these things. They will eat up rollers and idlers throughout the years along with tracks. Best thing, no need to worry about flat tires or bouncing with loads when turning with tracks.
I would never have a tire machine again
Just my two cents. Good luck

Hi Silver. I have a C175 New Holland that's used in my construction company and around the farm. I love the stability of tracks. I also like the low compaction when getting first cutting of hay off my fields when the ground is still soft. However, several things to consider are the track designs and overall design of controls and preventative maintenance!
I hate the track design of mine. It holds mud in between cab and track and is a son of a bitch to clean out all the time. If you don't, it will freeze and then you have to heat it and chip it out and that's very time consuming. They make better track designs now, but it comes at a cost of emissions ****! Being cold where you are, cab enclosure and heat are definitely needed. Mine doesn't have it and it's cold putting out hay!! Get the hand controls. Foot pedals suck and can be dangerous if not cleaned out in muddy conditions. They tend to be cold running and I have to put mine inside and plug in block heater or it struggles in our cold weather, so with your weather, this will be a necessity! I've ran many and I like the newer Kubotas, John Deere's, and Takeuchi's. Those three are arranged in price order around here. You do have to consider availability of parts and dealers near you if like me, you buy them to keep and use. Mine has 3,000 hours and major problem I had was self inflicted. I never changed hydraulic drive motor gear oil in hubs and they failed at 2,750 hours. $17,000 later I have two new drive motors!! Make sure you keep up with PMs on these things. They will eat up rollers and idlers throughout the years along with tracks. Best thing, no need to worry about flat tires or bouncing with loads when turning with tracks.
I would never have a tire machine again
Just my two cents. Good luck
Good info, thanks. I think we are going to make a deal on a NH C238. It's got 500 or so hours on it, it's being gone through at the dealer right now. It's a 2 speed, high flow machine with EH joystick controls. Also Pre emissions. This is the same dealer we deal with for almost everything and they are super good to deal with. So unless we back out it should be in our yard next week.

Good info, thanks. I think we are going to make a deal on a NH C238. It's got 500 or so hours on it, it's being gone through at the dealer right now. It's a 2 speed, high flow machine with EH joystick controls. Also Pre emissions. This is the same dealer we deal with for almost everything and they are super good to deal with. So unless we back out it should be in our yard next week.
What year is the machine?

I absolutely hate the new NH/Case machines. Pre 2015 are absolute wiring nightmares. I have personally replace 3 or 4 complete wiring harnesses in L2xx and C2xx series machines. A buddy at the NH dealer put his kid thru college on the OT hours working on those machines.

I am a NH man thru and thru but anything newer than an LS wheeled or C190 i wouldnt own if a guy gave one to me.

I'll say a prayer for you. Hava

I absolutely hate the new NH/Case machines. Pre 2015 are absolute wiring nightmares. I have personally replace 3 or 4 complete wiring harnesses in L2xx and C2xx series machines. A buddy at the NH dealer put his kid thru college on the OT hours working on those machines.

I am a NH man thru and thru but anything newer than an LS wheeled or C190 i wouldnt own if a guy gave one to me.

I'll say a prayer for you. Hava
Complete Chinese harness has been replaced with a German made one I believe.

If your NH is 2015, it was factory with def and particulate filter and regen. The best part is you have the open track design where idlers don't have gusseted metal following angle of tracks. That design with metal following tracks is pure **** in the winter!

I'm completely ignorant when it comes to Tier levels on off road machines, but it surprises me that a 2016 would have no emission control devices on it.
I'll have to press them on the emissions. I haven't been in to look at it in person yet.

2016 would be final tier4 emissions on a US machine that size not sure in Canada what the rules are. NH wouldn't be on my list of machines to own but I understand it if you have a good relationship with the dealer. If you end up with I hope it serves you well.

I will say this, I have both open and closed cabs and as much as I like A/C and heat and no dust, the open cab is more universal. I use my open cab as a rough terrain forklift. If you put forks on an enclosed cab and you need to lift the load some and want to get out to do something you can't open the door. If you don't use forks the encloses cab is pure luxury. Either way you go, get the quick attach. That's a great luxury In its self
I just take the door off of mine for all but the winter. Don't use the A/C, and appreciate the heater in winter!

One advantage of the wheeled skid steer over the tracks is this. Not sure this could be done with tracks.

Then, ya have this:
About midnight, he sheepishly comes walking up to my house "Uh, Don, can ya give me a ride home, I kinda ran my trailer off in the little pond and don't want to chance taking it loose from my truck"
DSC00041.JPG

Next morning showed it a little better....

DSC00045.JPG

Pulled him, truck, skid and trailer out with a 40+ year old Case 480 backhoe/loader..

Latest posts