Skid Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Cool, Canada must of had different timeline than American machines. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the number of tasks you find for it. Your loader tractors are about to become part time help.😃 I hope it serves you well.

Cool, Canada must of had different timeline than American machines. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the number of tasks you find for it. Your loader tractors are about to become part time help.😃 I hope it serves you well.
Thanks. And yes, they tell me that skid steers fell into a category that allowed them to be emissions free for longer than other classes of equipment in Canada.
I guess now I will get to start dreaming of which attachments to get to make my life complete.

I take the loaders off my tractors from May thru November after owning 2 skid steers. Only loader work a tractor sees anymore is winter feeding.

Really helps cut down on the front axle maintaince on the tractors.

I take the loaders off my tractors from May thru November after owning 2 skid steers. Only loader work a tractor sees anymore is winter feeding.

Really helps cut down on the front axle maintaince on the tractors.
What do you push snow with? Skidsteer or have a snowblower for it?

I have a 9.5' western plow on my truck. And the skid steer pushes a 12' angle plow for lighter snows, or an 8.5' snow bucket for deep snow.

My loader tractors also have skid steer quick attach plates so anything I can run with the SS will fit on the tractor if need be.

I have an 8.5' pto snowblower but rarely use it and can't justify a hydraulic unit for the SS. A blower is just painfully slow haha.

Thanks. And yes, they tell me that skid steers fell into a category that allowed them to be emissions free for longer than other classes of equipment in Canada.
I guess now I will get to start dreaming of which attachments to get to make my life complete.
Grapple! And pallet forks. Bale spear as a backup to the one(s) on your tractor.

Grapple! And pallet forks. Bale spear as a backup to the one(s) on your tractor.
I haven't unloaded a trailer of rolls with a tractor since we got a skid steer.

Will add one thing to TC's list, an inverted log splitter if you burn wood. I made one from an old 3pt log splitter, can split 4' diameter rounds and never touch them. Got a little carried away with it today and bent a few things on some knotty oak, apparently the new Cat has a lot more hydraulics than the old NH...

I do have pallet forks, a bucket, and bale spears (but not backup so I better consider that). I'd really like a tree shear, a brush cutter of some kind, a post driver, an auger, a trencher…. Oh boy….

I do have pallet forks, a bucket, and bale spears (but not backup so I better consider that). I'd really like a tree shear, a brush cutter of some kind, a post driver, an auger, a trencher…. Oh boy….
Yep pretty easy to make a wish list for them and they make most everything for it. I will share a thought or two based on 20 years of messing with them but opinions are like buttholes………

Brush cutter- Highly recommend, great especially if you have steep or soft areas you want to mow. Also great in tight areas because you are looking right at it with fingertip speed control and steering

Bale spear- get the style that doubles as pallet forks. Not sure on your monster bales but on mine I unload and stack 2 at a time plus it is really fast to flip them and stack on end in a barn. Works good on large sqs. too.

Grapple- if you don't have one that fits your tractor you can convert. Just handy as a shirt pocket for cleaning stuff up.

Post driver- get the vibratory style, they are easier to control the post with and less likely to break wooden posts if you use those there. I find they drive faster too.

Auger- may not need depending on the post driver and your situation but man will you wonder how you ever used a tractor mounted one after that!

Not to much you can't get done around the farm with that pretty basic arsenal.

Then, ya have this:
About midnight, he sheepishly comes walking up to my house "Uh, Don, can ya give me a ride home, I kinda ran my trailer off in the little pond and don't want to chance taking it loose from my truck"
View attachment 40107

Next morning showed it a little better....

View attachment 40108

Pulled him, truck, skid and trailer out with a 40+ year old Case 480 backhoe/loader..
If you really know how to work a back hoe it can do some amazing things and also load itself on a trailer without ramps

No end to attachments for a skid steer, they're like a powered Swiss army knife.

I'm kicking around buying one to put a tree saw on, then the brush beaters/shredders look neat, and need a grapple. A bale spike, a pallet fork the list is endless.

Latest posts