A/T tires

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
Need new tires on 3500 Chevy dually. Fair amount of time in fields. But towing heavy pretty often. I want a/t tires but not overly aggressive and overly loud on road. Have not been happy Firestone or hankook. Was recommended Toyo. What are your thoughts and experiences?

A lot of people like Yokohama's, but if you want top of the line get Michelins. Also check out Bridgestone's.

I don't think I've spun a set of Toyo's that one of them didn't take a lot of weight to balance. Mastercraft trail HD. Kumho AT52, yokohoma's are all good mid range priced tires. I'm running kumho tires on my personal pick up.

General grabber AT or BFG AT are very similar tires and are my goto on my road truck that sees highway miles. Ok offroad traction, good snow traction, and comfortable ride.

My beater truck has some big knobby MT tires that are great offroad, but will make your head rattle on the pavement.

Toyos are good tires but notorious for soft sidewalls which is not great for towing.

I run Nittos with no complaints in their MT. It's a very heavy duty tire all the way around. BFG ATs have always been good and have a heavy duty sidewall.

Last edited:
My go to is Firestone Transforce A/T but I see that is on your list. In that case BFG A\T would be my go to.

I ran several sets of the firsstones on two trucks no proglems. Then had broken belts both trucks . And a couple started seperating.

These handkooks on it now a pretty squaty in front with proper air. Really didnt wear very good at all. Mechanic is one recommenced the toyos. Just trying to get real world experience. This truck gets alot of highway miles towing but is in tobacco field a lot august and September.

Nexen's came on the truck I have now, good all round tire. I didn't think they lasted very long so tire shop said BF Goodrich would last longer, no they won't. Had Toyo AT's on one truck, good on the road, sorry ass snow tire, didn't last no time.

These handkooks on it now a pretty squaty in front with proper air. Really didnt wear very good at all. Mechanic is one recommenced the toyos. Just trying to get real world experience. This truck gets alot of highway miles towing but is in tobacco field a lot august and September.
I have had a couple sets of Hankooks on a couple company 3/4 ton vehicles running around about 8000# all the time, never wore one at as they blow at first. I hear good things about the Falken AT3's I might try them next.

The last set I wanted Toyo but the didn't have the size I needed either at the store or the warehouse. The surprise me as Les Schawb is huge out here in the west and their warehouse isn't very far from me. I ended up with Open Range all terrain. I don't know who makes them as that is all it says on the tire. They have been real good. I see them on a lot of the ranch pickup around here. Of course we all get our tires from the same store.

I have had a couple sets of Hankooks on a couple company 3/4 ton vehicles running around about 8000# all the time, never wore one at as they blow at first. I hear good things about the Falken AT3's I might try them next.
I use to run Falkens on a 1/2 ton. I wouldn't run them on a 3/4. They are a smooth ride but it's because they are soft.

I've never found BFG's to last long, and i've heard that a lot of the high priced tires are short lived and a waste of money.. On our chevy dually we ran Hankook 14ply and they were great, but not an offroading tire at all. Michelin now makes tires in China, so watch for that unless you like paying for a name.
I don't mind the chinese tires as long as the price point is fair, I ran some SureTrak M/T's on one truck and they lasted good, Antares makes a tire very similar to the BFG