Question about radial tractor tires?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
It seems that the radials are wider tread surface than the comparable bias tires. Does that affect how they do in mud or soft ground?

Radial tractor tires give you a larger contact surface than the same size bias ply tractor tire at similar pressure.
Radial tires will float more and have less compaction then the same size bias tire.

I think they "squat" more than bias tires. Different brands have different treads. Firestone is famous for their 23 degree tires. They do well in snow and mud. I have Mitoch tires on my big tractor. The bars are 45 degrees. They pull great in mud, but not as well in snow/ice.

Having had both I'd pay the extra for the radials. They ride better, wear better, and have better traction. The only thing I qustion is how much the fronts squish down with a heavy load on the loader. You can also plug them. I plugged one over 5 yrs ago and it's still holding.

Some older tractors have rims that will not hold air without a tube because of riveted in centers, or 2 piece rims riveted together.

Most guys like to run tubes in fluid filled tires to try to control rust.

Also tubes can be useful in older tires that don't have a hole in them but can leak air thru the carcass of the tire overtime.

Given the choice I run tubeless in just about everything I own anymore.

Radial if you can afford it, better ride and ground contact. And don't put too much air in them , my lighter tractors like Kubota unless I'm carrying a heavy load I run 5-7 psi in them.