Cummins Inc. has agreed to pay an over $1.67 billion penalty

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score

I have a family member who works at Mahle that makes pistons for Cummins, he said this is their biggest customer and was worried about what would happen. It looks like we are being pushed more and more to electric.

Cummins Inc. has agreed to pay an over $1.67 billion penalty to settle claims by regulators that the engine manufacturer unlawfully altered hundreds of thousands of pickup truck engines to bypass emissions tests.

Over the course of a decade, hundreds of thousands of Ram 2500 and 3500 heavy duty pickup trucks – manufactured by Stellantis – had Cummins diesel engines equipped with software that limited nitrogen oxide pollution during emissions tests but allowed higher pollution during normal operations, the governments alleged.

Cummins to repair 600,000 Ram trucks in $2 billion emissions cheating scandal

Engine maker Cummins Inc. will recall 600,000 Ram trucks as part of a settlement with federal and California authorities that also requires the company to remedy environmental damage caused by illegal software that let it skirt diesel emissions tests.

New details of the settlement, reached in December, were released Wednesday. Cummins had already agreed to a $1.675 billion civil penalty to settle claims – the largest ever secured under the Clean Air Act – plus $325 million for pollution remedies.

That brings Cummins' total penalty to more than $2 billion, which officials from the Justice Department, Environmental Protection Agency, California Air Resources Board and the California Attorney General called "landmark" in a call with reporters Wednesday.

"Let this settlement be a lesson: We won't let greedy corporations cheat their way to success and run over the health and wellbeing of consumers and our environment along the way," California AG Rob Bonta said.

Over the course of a decade, hundreds of thousands of Ram 2500 and 3500 heavy duty pickup trucks – manufactured by Stellantis – had Cummins diesel engines equipped with software that limited nitrogen oxide pollution during emissions tests but allowed higher pollution during normal operations, the governments alleged.

In all, about 630,000 pickups from the 2013 through 2019 model years were equipped with the so-called "defeat devices" and will be recalled. Roughly 330,000 more trucks from 2019 through 2023 had emissions control software that wasn't properly reported to authorities, but the government says those didn't disable emissions controls. Officials could not estimate how many of the recalled trucks remain on the road.

Last edited:
This may very well break them financially. The end goal is to starve people off the planet so all is well.

I listened to a guy a while back talking about this, he said while that was a huge number and would definitely be an inconvenience to cummins, he said in comparison to their value and income it was the equivalent of the average family household having to pay a $5,000 fine. Basically he said it was a high enough number to make them take notice but not break them.

Maybe it won't break them as they just pass the cost on. Same effect in the end. I can't believe parts keep inflating. Sarcasm intended.

So if you have one of these 2022 models that are being recalled for unapproved software, what change will you notice if you get the recall done?

How much power can be generated depends on how much nitrous oxide (and extra fuel) is injected, but gains of 50 to 150 horsepower are common. Much higher gains are possible if the engine is built to withstand it.

Last edited:
If I had a Dodge Cummins I would wait until the last for the software update. If the warranty was out, it might not make it. Then again, we need to save the air.

Only thing I wonder about is why Cummins is paying the fine not ram?
Ram has final control of all software!