All Keyed Up Over My Tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
In another thread I was about to hijack, I decided to come over there and post. I have had a 3020 all my tractor driving days pretty much and I love these tractors. Now my Granson has hijacked it. It has a front end loader on it now and the tractor just visits from time to time when he brings me a bale of hay. That tractor uses so little diesel and just runs forever on a tank. At times I feel like I am having DT's not having it to step up on when I please. I tell him a farm without a tractor is like a car with no steering wheel. Or a house with no kitchen. 😢

Now, I have this 4020 that I must get going for the summer. It has a hydraulic leak and that must be repaired and just get it all squared alway. Change all the fluids in it and get a new air filter canister put on. The tire has leaked down in the back after running it around the edge of the hay field and I am not sure if it is something in the tire or if it broke bead. But, here it is going around the hay field. It has a turbo, and I must find out if the pump is turned up much on it. If it is, I am going to have them back it down as I am not going to burn a tank of fuel just to do a little bushogging or odd and end things.

View attachment filtered-28803435-DB10-446D-9EEF-BF3FBB9CDF3F.mov

Good sounding tractor. I'd $hit can that straight pipe first. Even with a muffler those 404's are pretty loud barking in your ear all day.
A JD 4020 has to be about one of the most versatile tractors made. Growing up I square baled a lot of hay behind a narrow front 4020 with 15.5/38's on the back and no weights. Perfect little haying tractor.
The other end of the spectrum is another neighbor's 4020 power shift with a 158 loader. Wide front, 18.4/38's full set of rear wheel weights and fluid in the tires. Add a set of tire chains and it will anywhere in the winter with a rnd bale on the front and back.
I have a 4020 power shift w/158 loader, 15.5/38 tires with fluid. Right now it has a blown head. Once that is fixed I'm contemplating taking the loader off and making it a narrow front. It would be a perfect hay raking tractor or on the feed wagon.

@SBMF 2015 Ha-ha!! That is the pipe I think my husband had put on it. Redneck city. Yeah, if I am going to keep my hearing, that will have to be replaced. My husband had a touch...wait, a big wad of red neck in him, and he would cut his exhausts short with a straight pipe. He would turn the pumps up, and when he was going up and down the road at night, after work putting out hay, he had about a 3" or so flame coming out of that short exhaust. He could rebuild a motor and work on anything, and was the manager of the shop at John Deere for years. But you can't take the redneck out of a redneck. I guess it was a matter of time before he was going to shorten the exhaust on that 4020. But I think he started feeling bad, and just stuck to the cab tractor he bought that he used at the other farm. He just had to have air and heat in the last few years. When he got the 4020, he had a front end blade on it, and I had it taken off. He used it to push trees up and such and he had duals on it. Took those off too. This was before we got the bulldozer. Then he parked it. So I got it out of the mothballs and will see what it is going to take to make it a useable tractor. I just hope with regular use, and no crazy stuff, it will last me for what I want to do with it. I will take care of it.

I have always liked a 4440. Good grief, those are expensive now. I can't afford one. I try to talk Sam into getting one and sending my 3020 home, but it is not working. He takes good care of 3020. They re-do tractors where he works but he mainly runs an excavator and bulldozer. He is a wiz with leveling the ground without a transit and getting the grade spot on. They do county work with terraces and such. Lots of irons in the fire. They come behind him and put the transit on it to check, and shoot him the bird because of it. He just laughs at them. Funny how people have different talents like that. He can visualize the grade. And when he is finished with it, it is smooth like a baby's butt.

Just like a man I know that did not finish school, and cannot read, but he can rebuild any motor you put in front of him. Then on top of that, you can call out all these numbers to him, like 3247+ 1642+ 967+ and so on, and he can add it immediately in his head and give you the correct answer. That just blows my mind. But cannot read a word.

I can hijack a thread, that is for sure, even if it is mine.

That straight pipe isn't as loud as it could be. Some of the old Mack trucks I used to work on had straight pipes, and cast on the turbo housing said muffling device.

That tractor was not really stretched out and not running a bush hog or anything to make that stack scream. That is what I am afraid of. Some of the trucks that pass my house will put any straight piped tractor to shame.

It would be a shame for someone to drive by and see me driving a 4020 with ear protection on. That is what a city slicker would do.

Wearing hearing protection running an open station tractor is something people do who want to be able to hear their grandkids playing in the yard someday.

My father in law spent his youth running a straight piped tractor on the farm. Now at 75 years old you have to yell to get him to hear anything.

That tractor was not really stretched out and not running a bush hog or anything to make that stack scream. That is what I am afraid of. Some of the trucks that pass my house will put any straight piped tractor to shame.

It would be a shame for someone to drive by and see me driving a 4020 with ear protection on. That is what a city slicker would do.
I wear headphones when I'm running my open tractors mowing.
You want to talk about a loud tractor. I used to run a JD 4320 with an all weather cab. The whole thing echoed and rattled. There was always a set of headphones hanging on the steering wheel and they got put on before the tractor got started.