What is wrong with these people????

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":1t93p50p said:
He's a vet. Good for him. Thank him for his contribution to maintaining our way of life. I'll bet there are other vets living in the same neighborhood, quietly following the rules.

So his neighbor to the south (a vet) but retired from EXXON, builds a working 21 foot oil derrick in his front yard, puts a flag on top and calls it a flagpole. Is that ok? Or the guy across the street (another vet) retired from the forestery service builds a 21 ft fire tower in his front yard, attaches a flag and calls it a flagpole. Is that ok? How about the guy retired from the used car business (another vet) who welds two 1955 Caddies together, stands them on end and puts a flag on top. Hey, another flagpole. Is that ok? They're all veterans who served their country. Why can't they have their own, individual, personal flagpole and the neighbors should be grateful to see their property values fall.

Col Barfoot recognized the authority of the homeowners assn by going to them and ASKING if he could put up a flapole. They apparently said no and he's like that pouting kid that kicks the dog because he can't have his way. Now that he may have to spend money to take the flagpole down, he's whining to the media that he's a vet and he's entitled to do what he wants! There's nothing wrong with "these people". They follow the rules; why is it unreasonable for them to expect this guy to follow them, too? Don't like the rules: move or get on the board of the home owners assn that makes the rules.

And last but not least NOBODY SAYS HE CAN'T FLY THE FLAG. They just say he can't have an upright flagpole. If you read the article, it says other people are flying flags in the neighborhood. This guy simply thinks he's entitled to do what he wants in spite of the rules.

It's statements like this that makes you wonder at times if it was really worth it.But then again I'll just consider the source and not be surprised and ignore.
You have a fine day Frankie,and maby if you have time stop what you're doing just a few minutes just think about why you're having a nice day.
Now I will not fall into your trap and engage in a battle of words with you.You seem to think this shows knowledge on your part,but you are pretty well known on here. You can lock it now.

Cal

Calman":1nni7bzq said:
It's statements like this that makes you wonder at times if it was really worth it.But then again I'll just consider the source and not be surprised and ignore.
You have a fine day Frankie,and maby if you have time stop what you're doing just a few minutes just think about why you're having a nice day.
Now I will not fall into your trap and engage in a battle of words with you.You seem to think this shows knowledge on your part,but you are pretty well known on here. You can lock it now.

Cal

The USA is full of veterans. I have one of my very own. There are many in my family and none of them would expect to be exempted from the rules (in this case, rules about flying the flag). I don't see where it shows any knowledge. It's simply common sense: The Col chooses to reside in a community with a homeownhers assn. He should abide by the rules, move or work to get the rules changed. Instead he's crying to the media and hiding behind his military sevice.

Sun's out, temps going up, cows are getting big, yes, I expect to have a good day. I hope yours is good, too. :D

Frankie":1ennouoh said:
Calman":1ennouoh said:

Cal

The USA is full of veterans. I have one of my very own. There are many in my family and none of them would expect to be exempted from the rules (in this case, rules about flying the flag). I don't see where it shows any knowledge. It's simply common sense: The Col chooses to reside in a community with a homeownhers assn. He should abide by the rules, move or work to get the rules changed. Instead he's crying to the media and hiding behind his military sevice.

Sun's out, temps going up, cows are getting big, yes, I expect to have a good day. I hope yours is good, too. :D

So, if the house is on fire but the almighty rules say thou shalt not turn on the fire hydrant, would you just let 'er burn?? Just about everybody knows the purpose for having rules and respects them. But no matter how well thought out and good-intentioned rules are, sooner or later a situation comes up where somebody is on the wrong side of the rules who didn't deserve to be. And see, we're human and we're supposed to have these big brains. We should use them to make an intelligent decision about what's right and wrong. Not blindly follow words on a piece of paper.

This man isn't just any veteran who maybe peeled some potatoes for the army during peacetime. He's a medal of honor recipient. Plus, he's 90 years old, this might become a non-issue at any moment if he doesn't wake up tomorrow. Commen sense, and the sense of decency and respect, should say, let him have this one. It's the right thing to do.

So if you earn the Medal of Honor you can put up a flagpole? How about a Bronze Star with V for valor recipient? Can he put up a flagpole or park his car on the street or something else that's against the rules? Or the Silver Star? What rules are they allowed to break? Common sense would have kept him from putting up the flagpole to start with.

Frankie":1e9wqlm4 said:
So if you earn the Medal of Honor you can put up a flagpole? How about a Bronze Star with V for valor recipient? Can he put up a flagpole or park his car on the street or something else that's against the rules? Or the Silver Star? What rules are they allowed to break? Common sense would have kept him from putting up the flagpole to start with.

Actually - even if he was the dish washer in the chow hall - he served - and others were able to do their job because of him doing his job.

As I said before the question is: What is wrong with these people?

My answer? The association IS the people.

Suggest you send them over here so they can work with me for a couple of days. Syria is pretty this time of the year. I am sure they would enjoy it - I know I would.

Frankie - I usually back you on stuff - but your oil derrick example is well and truly - big time - out of line. Even the old fart that has the flag pole did not want to go that far.

You see, he comes from a time that decency and doing what is right did not require a committee and 27 sheets of legal paper filled with lawyers ease.

Finally - frankie - I am close on this issue - do not come back to justify this to me - I am definitely out of this thread. Lets not make this a turning point.

Reason for all this schitte? My uncle - bombardier/navigator WWII had his medals on display at a school for a week until they were banned by a committee - did not fit into the "proper social setting and promoted violence"

I have had it with committees and wonder when some people will stand up and bark like dogs instead of rolling over for F*****g committees

They can take his flagpole and stick it up the committess azz!

[Bez]

Got to side with Frankie on his one. Neighbors have rights too.
I cetainly honor his service and the CMH, but that was to protect the rights and privleges and freedoms of the people. Seems he wants his way regardless of the feelings of his neighbors about a flagpole.
Nobody said he couldn't have his flag. Just the pole.

(No. I have not gone liberal by any stretch of the imagination.)

Ryder":31sdbqzp said:
I cetainly honor his service and the CMH, but that was to protect the rights and privleges and freedoms of the people. Seems he wants his way regardless of the feelings of his neighbors about a flagpole.

you sure??? looks kinda iffy to me, :p i wish these folks had my neighbors they would erect that pole for the old man and be dam glad to have him

Some good points have been made on both sides here, I guess. I am definitely with the veteran in this situation. I still think it is part of the larger issue that is growing every day and that is people wanting to decide on what can be done on the land without them having to pay for it and own it. Somebody else owns something and they want to tell that person what they can do and can't do with or on property that they have not invested anything in. I am talking about planning and zoning and every other government intrusion into our lives on our own property. Maybe a homeowners association is different because if you decide to purchase a house in that area, you sign away your personal property rights and your right to make a decision to a group of people who may or may not think the way you do.

Col. Barfoot bought a home in a tract which has a homeowners assn. He knew, or should have known, that the homeowners association had control over certain aspects of his use of his property. It is a part of his deed. If he wasn't willing to abide by the rules he should have purchased elsewhere.
Now, if he feels the ruling is arbitrary and directed only at him he can sue and maybe a judge will let him put up his flagpole.
I would never buy in a neighborhood with a homeowners group, as conflicts such as this are a guaranteed part of the deal. When neighbors can veto your decisions about your own property, sooner or later they will.

The Colonel fought for the rule of law, which includes contract law and as much as I appreciate his service I don't see how that makes him exempt from the homeowners association.

Now, how anyone could object to a flagpole is another matter. If he wants to move, he is welcome next door to me.

A new law....from now on no praying inside a homeowners association home. You have to pray in a place of worship.

VanC on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:29 pm

http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/citatio ... rfoot.html

The President of the United States
in the name of The Congress
takes pleasure in presenting the
Medal of Honor
to

BARFOOT, VAN T.

Rank and organization: Second Lieutenant, U.S. Army, 157th Infantry, 45th Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Carano, Italy, 23 May 1944. Entered service at: Carthage, Miss. Birth: Edinburg, Miss. G.O. No.: 79, 4 October 1944.
Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

and some hoidy toidy hoa wants to tell him he can't fly his flag on his flag pole on his property

HerefordSire":1rj64ku2 said:
A new law....from now on no praying inside a homeowners association home. You have to pray in a place of worship.

Seems kinda far fetched doesn't it? I bet telling a veteran and decorated war hero he couldn't fly a United States flag in his front yard any d#@$ way he pleased seemed kinda far fetched about 30 or 40 years ago.

skyline":2gglj4kj said:
HerefordSire":2gglj4kj said:

Seems kinda far fetched doesn't it? I bet telling a veteran and decorated war hero he couldn't fly a United States flag in his front yard any d#@$ way he pleased seemed kinda far fetched about 30 or 40 years ago.

Where have you been skyline?

It still seems pretty far fetched to me.

Cal, - thanks.

[Bez said:
":1ld5eo8v]
Frankie":1ld5eo8v said:

Actually - even if he was the dish washer in the chow hall - he served - and others were able to do their job because of him doing his job.

As I said before the question is: What is wrong with these people?

My answer? The association IS the people.

Suggest you send them over here so they can work with me for a couple of days. Syria is pretty this time of the year. I am sure they would enjoy it - I know I would.

Frankie - I usually back you on stuff - but your oil derrick example is well and truly - big time - out of line. Even the old fart that has the flag pole did not want to go that far.

You see, he comes from a time that decency and doing what is right did not require a committee and 27 sheets of legal paper filled with lawyers ease.

Finally - frankie - I am close on this issue - do not come back to justify this to me - I am definitely out of this thread. Lets not make this a turning point.

Reason for all this schitte? My uncle - bombardier/navigator WWII had his medals on display at a school for a week until they were banned by a committee - did not fit into the "proper social setting and promoted violence"

I have had it with committees and wonder when some people will stand up and bark like dogs instead of rolling over for F*****g committees

They can take his flagpole and stick it up the committess azz!

[Bez]

That was well said Bez,and I'll back ya 100% on this one.A soldier is still soldier now mater where he/she served or what was their job.And if he or she served with loyalty they should be treated with the upmost respect.Way too many take freedom for granite and don't even think of the cost.Maby they should have to spend a tour where people are fighting to be free.
Enough said for me the more I think of this the madder I get.
Thank you for serving, Cal

I'll probably be banned someday for " not fitting in the proper social setting" " and promoting violence". I say give him his tommygun back.

alacattleman":1wvb58dc said:
Ryder":1wvb58dc said:

you sure??? looks kinda iffy to me, :p i wish these folks had my neighbors they would erect that pole for the old man and be dam glad to have him

I second that opinion.
Tom.

backhoeboogie":24t8e1qw said:
skyline":24t8e1qw said:
HerefordSire":24t8e1qw said:

Where have you been skyline?

It still seems pretty far fetched to me.

Cal, - thanks.

I agree BHB. Lets see, where have I been? We've been working and trying to see the light at the end of this economic tunnel, chasing kids to soccer games, tending the cows and horses, doing a few pet projects around here, and a lot of cooking. Life is good. My inner ear problem is settled down for now and I'm enjoying some level of normal for the time being. I'm a blessed man with absolutely no complaints. How have you been?

Latest posts