What is wrong with these people????

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows

Reaction score
WW II Vet Fights for His Flagpole

Richmond Times-Dispatch / AP
(Dec. 3) -- Every morning, Medal of Honor winner Col. Van T. Barfoot raises the American flag in front of his home in suburban Richmond, Va. Every sunset, he takes it down. Now his neighborhood's governing board says the stars and stripes are fine, but Barfoot's flagpole must go.

In July, the Sussex Square homeowners association denied Barfoot's request to erect the 21-foot pole, ruling that it violated the community's aesthetic guidelines, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch. But the 90-year-old Army vet put it up anyway and has been flying the flag daily since Veterans Day. On Tuesday, he received a letter ordering him to remove the pole by Friday or face legal action.

The board does allow flags to fly from small poles mounted on homes. Barfoot doesn't understand why a free-standing pole is forbidden.

"Where I've been, fighting wars, displaying the flag, military installations, parades, everything else, the flag is vertical. And I've done it that way since I was in the Army," he told the newspaper.

Barfoot received the Medal of Honor for his battlefield heroics in Italy during World War II. He also fought in the Korean and Vietnam wars. News of his fight to save the flagpole has generated offers of support from fellow vets, the newspaper reported, but Barfoot's neighbors are split over the issue.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy would I like to have a conversation with the president of this idiotic, anal homeowners association. Does anybody else feel strongly about this? Strong enough to write a letter or email to these idiots?

I would think that his neighbors would be proud to see Old Glory flying high.
Tom.

kerley":1bk9xj5a said:
Tom.

That's what I was thinking. How anyone can feel that a flagpole flying the American flag is detrimental to a neighborhood is beyond me.

kerley":1ike5uhl said:
Tom.

His neighbors may be ragheads .

Nothing's "wrong with these people". Nobody says he can't fly the American Flag. He just has to do it in a manner deemed suitable by his homeowner's assn. He can move into another neighborhood without restrictions. Reminds me of Cattle Today: the rules are there, but some people just choose to ignore them.

I would never, ever move into a housing development/neighborhood that was governed by homeowner's assoc rules. But since he did, it makes about as much sense as Al Gore fighting the vote count in FL to raise heck about it. He can't win...anymore that Al Gore could.

Pick your battles, folks...pick the battles that can be won! Little by little, those battles can be the turning point...

Alice

Frankie":3no29bvj said:
Nothing's "wrong with these people". Nobody says he can't fly the American Flag. He just has to do it in a manner deemed suitable by his homeowner's assn. He can move into another neighborhood without restrictions. Reminds me of Cattle Today: the rules are there, but some people just choose to ignore them.

I am all for rules most of the time. They help maintain order especially for those who cannot discipline themselves.

But being a warrior who served his country so long and so well TRUMPS the rules in this case. Period.

MO_cows":671njipd said:

(Dec. 3) -- Every morning, Medal of Honor winner Col. Van T. Barfoot raises the American flag in front of his home in suburban Richmond, Va. Every sunset, he takes it down. Now his neighborhood's governing board says the stars and stripes are fine, but Barfoot's flagpole must go.

In July, the Sussex Square homeowners association denied Barfoot's request to erect the 21-foot pole, ruling that it violated the community's aesthetic guidelines, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch. But the 90-year-old Army vet put it up anyway and has been flying the flag daily since Veterans Day. On Tuesday, he received a letter ordering him to remove the pole by Friday or face legal action.

The board does allow flags to fly from small poles mounted on homes. Barfoot doesn't understand why a free-standing pole is forbidden.

"Where I've been, fighting wars, displaying the flag, military installations, parades, everything else, the flag is vertical. And I've done it that way since I was in the Army," he told the newspaper.

Barfoot received the Medal of Honor for his battlefield heroics in Italy during World War II. He also fought in the Korean and Vietnam wars. News of his fight to save the flagpole has generated offers of support from fellow vets, the newspaper reported, but Barfoot's neighbors are split over the issue.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy would I like to have a conversation with the president of this idiotic, anal homeowners association. Does anybody else feel strongly about this? Strong enough to write a letter or email to these idiots?

if it wasn't for guys like barfoot there might not be a hoa or even a neighborhood.
a 90 year old vetran ought be able to fly his flag
on his own property in any dang fashion he chooses.
he should be honored not made into a criminal.

people like this is part of whats wrong with this country.

Frankie":2qtbjg1r said:

i'd like to know who was in the neighborhood first
barfoot or the poeple making the rules.
if they don't like his flag then they can move ...out the country

When I first read that article and about how honorably he served this nation and about how he has faithfully flown the flag (properly raising it in the morning and retiring it before dark)... I thought these people ought to allow him to have his way on this. And honor him in an HOA meeting and tell all their kids about his service to our nation when they pass by his house with the flag flying.

But no, these folks feel that their rules are more important than he is. They are wrong.

Kinda reminds me of... No, never mind. :roll:

I am with Alice on this one. This is a terrible thing, but it is a homeowners association and every week we read of some idiotic, controversial ruling by a homeowners association against a symbol supporting patriotism, morality, or other good cause. If there is any way possible, stay away from homeowners associations, and if you have to live in one, be prepared for these intolerable decisions against decency and goodness. The problem that is getting much more prevalent is that as homeowners associations gain more ground, it makes it easier for government to take away personal property rights and freedoms from the people who have worked, sweated, and bled for the land they have, and probably still owe on.

stocky":2hg2n576 said:
I am with Alice on this one. This is a terrible thing, but it is a homeowners association and every week we read of some idiotic, controversial ruling by a homeowners association against a symbol supporting patriotism, morality, or other good cause. If there is any way possible, stay away from homeowners associations, and if you have to live in one, be prepared for these intolerable decisions against decency and goodness. The problem that is getting much more prevalent is that as homeowners associations gain more ground, it makes it easier for government to take away personal property rights and freedoms from the people who have worked, sweated, and bled for the land they have, and probably still owe on.

The question: What is wrong with these people?

Home owners association is composed of "these people".

Seems the people are not the type I would have for neighbours - and I am not even American!

[Bez]

Frankie":1to986wg said:

Thanks for taking the time to makes this clarification. Only you could make me see how this could possibly happen.

Sone of the cities around Dallas have stupid rules. No empty flower pots is one that sticks out in my mind. You can get a ticket if you have an empty flower pot in your front yard... You would think that cities had better things to enforce.

I can see some rules regarding old cars, overgrown grass and the like, but I used to live in a neighborhood in Arlington, Overland Stage, where they governed the colors your could paint your home, and the kinds of roofs you could have.

I would think these people should feel ashamed to have taken the right of a man to fly a flag any way he wants to away from him. A man who signed a contract with the government payable with his life,so that his neighbors could have the freedom they do have.And this is their way of saying thanks.
I don't give a dam what the rules are there should have been an exeption concerning him.
I can just about think about now he's thinking his time in war and all his medals was not worth it.
But after all people like this don't even care what our veterans went through so we could have a better world to live in. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cal

He's a vet. Good for him. Thank him for his contribution to maintaining our way of life. I'll bet there are other vets living in the same neighborhood, quietly following the rules.

So his neighbor to the south (a vet) but retired from EXXON, builds a working 21 foot oil derrick in his front yard, puts a flag on top and calls it a flagpole. Is that ok? Or the guy across the street (another vet) retired from the forestery service builds a 21 ft fire tower in his front yard, attaches a flag and calls it a flagpole. Is that ok? How about the guy retired from the used car business (another vet) who welds two 1955 Caddies together, stands them on end and puts a flag on top. Hey, another flagpole. Is that ok? They're all veterans who served their country. Why can't they have their own, individual, personal flagpole and the neighbors should be grateful to see their property values fall.

Col Barfoot recognized the authority of the homeowners assn by going to them and ASKING if he could put up a flapole. They apparently said no and he's like that pouting kid that kicks the dog because he can't have his way. Now that he may have to spend money to take the flagpole down, he's whining to the media that he's a vet and he's entitled to do what he wants! There's nothing wrong with "these people". They follow the rules; why is it unreasonable for them to expect this guy to follow them, too? Don't like the rules: move or get on the board of the home owners assn that makes the rules.

And last but not least NOBODY SAYS HE CAN'T FLY THE FLAG. They just say he can't have an upright flagpole. If you read the article, it says other people are flying flags in the neighborhood. This guy simply thinks he's entitled to do what he wants in spite of the rules.

cross_7":17x8sz1h said:
MO_cows":17x8sz1h said:

if it wasn't for guys like barfoot there might not be a hoa or even a neighborhood.
a 90 year old vetran ought be able to fly his flag
on his own property in any dang fashion he chooses.
he should be honored not made into a criminal.

people like this is part of whats wrong with this country.
Well said.
Tom.

Latest posts