What Gelbvieh does for me (Breed Pimp Warning)

Help Support CattleToday:

Though there are many Angus bulls with good, natural thickness, many of the big-butted bulls I see (and that includes Angus, Herefords, as well as the occasional Simmental, Gelbvieh, and Limousin) have their thickness "fed on" rather than "bred on."

I've attended some bull sales where the bulls are developed on grass with limited or minimal grain. It is amazing how much difference in natural muscling there is amongst buls, and even amongst breeds.

3LEGGED1":3n3d9x44 said:
Hoss,that bull is awful.I would be willing to hide him in these Georgia hills for you. No feed charges applied.
I will be selling him within the next year. He will be 4 in March. You are not too far from me :mrgreen: I am planning to take him to Ft. Payne, AL. to get him collected so that I can use him for years to come.

UG":1pf3y8qe said:
Though there are many Angus bulls with good, natural thickness, many of the big-butted bulls I see (and that includes Angus, Herefords, as well as the occasional Simmental, Gelbvieh, and Limousin) have their thickness "fed on" rather than "bred on."

I've attended some bull sales where the bulls are developed on grass with limited or minimal grain. It is amazing how much difference in natural muscling there is amongst buls, and even amongst breeds.

You are right UG. I bought this bull at weaning just to make sure he wasn't going to be fed fat and then fall apart on me. He was fed a basic ration of feed while on pasture to maximize his potential but no more. He hasn't had a bite of grain in over 2 years. He has been on grass and hay only.

HOSS":2pf2v6nk said:
3LEGGED1":2pf2v6nk said:
Hoss,that bull is awful.I would be willing to hide him in these Georgia hills for you. No feed charges applied.
I will be selling him within the next year. He will be 4 in March. You are not too far from me :mrgreen: I am planning to take him to Ft. Payne, AL. to get him collected so that I can use him for years to come.
thats a good idea..

I agree totally with these comments on over fed bulls. Problem many have is they are trying to sale bulls against those who over feed and many buyers can't tell the difference.

Got any pics from the side.Is on fescue,and how much woulda bull such as him cost.

Straight bred Simi bulls are popular around here for terminal calves and I can see why. I ran a GV X BA Balancer bull buy the name of Bull Winkle (two BA producers asked me where to get a muscular "Winkle Ranch angus bull"), and then compared notes with another local producer with the same F1 cross bull. Nice bulls and some great calves - - but we did not get consistent calves. :shock: Simi 50% cross are more consistent than our Balancer 3x crosses and run an honest 60# larger than weaned English calves...

I have a couple English x GV cows and I am very happy with them. I see GV as a part of a maternal F1 as long as your pasture does not need small cows.

I don't know anyone local who has a straight GV bull and the local AI stud techs don't carry the semen. Is there an economic benefit to commercial carrying their own GV semen, rather than using the Continental breeds that came across the pond first?

Hoss doesn't it amaze you that you start a thread about the cattle that work for you and end up with almost 2 pages of what's wrong with them.

and everyone elses opinion of what's good to great!

I am not looking to start a fight but here's the deal. If ya'll have a very consistant and uniform cowherd you will get pretty consistant calves out of most good crossbred bulls.
If you cowherd looks like a dog from every town that's what you are gonna get especially from a crossbred bull.

3waycross":1yitbkwi said:
Hoss doesn't it amaze you that you start a thread about the cattle that work for you and end up with almost 2 pages of what's wrong with them.

I am not looking to start a fight but here's the deal. If ya'll have a very consistant and uniform cowherd you will get pretty consistant calves out of most good crossbred bulls.
If you cowherd looks like a dog from every town that's what you are gonna get especially from a crossbred bull.
i must have missed that part,, never said anything against his cattle.. as i hope folks can see

ALACOWMAN":744t4exn said:
3waycross":744t4exn said:

i must have missed that part,, never said anything against his cattle.. as i hope folks can see

Well I guess you missed Steve and Inyati's remarks.

3waycross":jyuiy300 said:
ALACOWMAN":jyuiy300 said:
3waycross":jyuiy300 said:

Well I guess you missed Steve and Inyati's remarks.
nope.. you just grouped the whole bunch together..plus inyanti didnt either .......

3LEGGED1":105r3jkc said:
Got any pics from the side.Is on fescue,and how much woulda bull such as him cost.
Yes he is on fescue....born and raised on it. I can get pics from all angles if you are interested.

HOSS":17dz57mm said:
3LEGGED1":17dz57mm said:
Yes he is on fescue....born and raised on it. I can get pics from all angles if you are interested. He would cost about 3k picked up on my farm. Very gentle and easy to handle. High libido and gets the job done.

Hoss,
Them are nice. Would you call them endophyte tolerate or do you keep the seed heads clipped?

Well I guess you missed Steve and Inyati's remarks.[/quote] nope.. you just grouped the whole bunch together..plus inyanti didnt either .......[/quote]

You been pickin little fights with me for a couple of weeks. This would be a good time to stop.

Burying my Dad in the morning. Probably a good time for you to leave me the f alone!

double v":2acjn340 said:
would like to see the rest of the heifers, figure they all look like that one???
Most look as good but not as heavy. I can post more pics when I gat a chance to snap them.

HDRider":38pzrnt7 said:
HOSS":38pzrnt7 said:
3LEGGED1":38pzrnt7 said:
Yes he is on fescue....born and raised on it.

Hoss,
Them are nice. Would you call them endophyte tolerate or do you keep the seed heads clipped?
HD, I am guessing that my pastures are infected since 85% of fescue pastures in Tennessee are. I do clip pastures on a semi-routine basis. I have not been religious about it. I have seed heads on allot of it now.

HOSS":19gsmmq3 said:
inyati13":19gsmmq3 said:
HOSS, I pass the Boyd farm everyday. If I go through Shannon I pass their Hereford operation. If I go through Mayslick, I pass their Angus operation. I do notice they mix it up some. They also have another Angus operation on US 68. The angus bulls in their pastures are well muscled and big rumps. The trend is to select genetics to provide more muscle and full rumps. That is the catch line in the semen sales advertisements. I think what ALACOWMAN said is in line with what is going on everywhere not just Alabama. Those older hatchet butt genetics are being avoided like the plague here. The Rocking P folks who mainly cover their angus cows with Simmental Bulls recently brought in an angus bull that provides those genes.

Oh I understood what ALACOWMAN said and I agree with him. I see big butted angus bulls in sale catalogs, pictures, on CT, and in the pastures of some purebred breeders but I don't see them very often in commercial herds in my area. I still see plenty of the hatchet butt bulls.......many more than there should be with as many good breeders there are within 100 miles of me.

Hey, HOSS I just go to my farm everyday and get to enjoy the vision of a registered hatchet butt angus bull. MINE. :lol:

Latest posts