Nice young Gelbvieh bull

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
Sometimes you look at a group of young bulls and kinda wonder if they are good enough. Then sometimes one comes along that just stands out from the group. For me this one has been a standout! He's right around 10 months old. 268024CD-2F85-4765-9E84-7A11A165C00A.jpegB7A9D46A-E3E9-4AC2-9B1A-DBBD6AA34EB4.jpeg3DD6D3D8-ED3F-4C80-9E94-675066CB60A4.jpeg7A468F04-BFFE-463B-A916-4332A840CDD6.jpeg

I really liked him as a very young calf, and like him now.

We have a gelbvieh on a group of 30 or so head this year... want to beef up the size and weaning weight of the calves and a friend that was selling off about 2/3 of his cattle had 2 of these bulls he bought a year ago... he is latter 70's and is just cutting back and with the prices this spring it was a very good move for him.... we took one and a friend got the other... hoping for good preg rate and see how calves look next year... maybe give us some nice females for keeping as replacements once the prices level out some also....and some nice steers to ship 2024 fall/winter...

He does not look acceptable as an older animal as he seem to be taller in the rear with a dip in the back behind the shoulders and sort of pot gutted. GVs came and went around here for the most part. I guess there are still some around. We AIed to some and they were not what we needed or wanted to deal with. You can find a better animal.

I bred one of my red poll cows to a gelbvieh and the calf was a stand out in that years group for two reasons. Firstly the growth rate and muscling was exceptional, secondly it was a complete nut job! I tried to halter break it but gave up after six weeks. I would definitely try them again and see if i could find a line with good temperament.

I bred one of my red poll cows to a gelbvieh and the calf was a stand out in that years group for two reasons. Firstly the growth rate and muscling was exceptional, secondly it was a complete nut job! I tried to halter break it but gave up after six weeks. I would definitely try them again and see if i could find a line with good temperament.
Definitely can find them with good docility!3FC07B5E-91CC-4AF7-8609-D80BC0A2C836.jpeg

He does not look acceptable as an older animal as he seem to be taller in the rear with a dip in the back behind the shoulders and sort of pot gutted. GVs came and went around here for the most part. I guess there are still some around. We AIed to some and they were not what we needed or wanted to deal with. You can find a better animal.
He's not perfect I'm sure, but in the picture he's standing downhill at an odd stance. I should have taken a better picture.

I'd like to see a picture with a more relaxed profile. It looks like he's just moved that hind leg in and it has his back and hips at an odd angle.
From what I can can tell he doesn't look real bad or real good as an older calf, a different picture might make a difference. I know it's hard to catch them just perfect.
I remember back when I had registered cattle and sold bulls, there seemed like a point where some would kind of go through awkward stages. They may look great up through weaning and then hit that stage then as yearlings there may be a shakeup in my rankings of them, generally speaking though if I thought there was a clear standout he almost always held that top position or close to it. Sometimes though there is an outlier that out grows and outweighs the others but doesn't exactly put it all together in a neat package so to speak. I've had some of those too, and I'm thinking this calf may be one of those.

I'd like to see a picture with a more relaxed profile. It looks like he's just moved that hind leg in and it has his back and hips at an odd angle.
From what I can can tell he doesn't look real bad or real good as an older calf, a different picture might make a difference. I know it's hard to catch them just perfect.
I remember back when I had registered cattle and sold bulls, there seemed like a point where some would kind of go through awkward stages. They may look great up through weaning and then hit that stage then as yearlings there may be a shakeup in my rankings of them, generally speaking though if I thought there was a clear standout he almost always held that top position or close to it. Sometimes though there is an outlier that out grows and outweighs the others but doesn't exactly put it all together in a neat package so to speak. I've had some of those too, and I'm thinking this calf may be one of those.
Wanted to update this thread and see if a different picture changed the opinion on the calf?

Attachments

• CB180DC4-8767-46B2-A644-5EA422D36264.jpeg
    CB180DC4-8767-46B2-A644-5EA422D36264.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
  • 4EDB845E-C867-4205-A696-C47097DE2340.jpeg
    4EDB845E-C867-4205-A696-C47097DE2340.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45
Wanted to update this thread and see if a different picture changed the opinion on the calf?
Yes, to me he looks much better in those pictures.
I would use him if he were mine.
Really like his head and front already has a bit of crest on his neck, which I like to see on a bull. Looks like he has good frame.

If you draw a straight line between the tail and the front leg, the downside of the bull is the lower rear part and the better is the rest. Pot gut and not much muscle in the rear. Front has a very clean brisket, nice topline, decent muscle for age. He's got a nice head.