What does all of the EPDs stand for?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerboy777

Reaction score
I am starting over from scratch with my beef herd. I would like to know what all of these abbreviations stand for and the relative numbers. Which ones should I pay attention to as I am planning on sell the offspring as hanging weight not through a sale barn. I am still unclear as which bred or cross bred I plan on going with. CED, BW, WW, YW, MILK, MG, CEM, SC, FAT, RIB EYE, IMF%, BMI, CEZ, BII, CHB. Thanks

farmerboy777":2ngagvza said:
I am starting over from scratch with my beef herd. I would like to know what all of these abbreviations stand for and the relative numbers. Which ones should I pay attention to as I am planning on sell the offspring as hanging weight not through a sale barn. I am still unclear as which bred or cross bred I plan on going with. CED, BW, WW, YW, MILK, MG, CEM, SC, FAT, RIB EYE, IMF%, BMI, CEZ, BII, CHB. Thanks

This should help!

Just search the interent, using search word"How to Use EPD's" and you will get more information than you care for.

Accuracy (ACC), is the reliability that can be placed on the EPD. An accuracy of close to 1.0 indicates higher reliability. Accuracy is impacted by the number of progeny and ancestral records included in the analysis.

$Value Indexes, are multi-trait selection indexes, expressed in dollars per head, to assist beef producers by adding simplicity to genetic selection decisions. The $Value is an estimate of how future progeny of each sire are expected to perform, on average, compared to progeny of other sires in the database if the sires were randomly mated to cows and if calves were exposed to the same environment.

PRODUCTION

Calving Ease Direct (CED), is expressed as a difference in percentage of unassisted births, with a higher value indicating greater calving ease in first-calf heifers. It predicts the average difference in ease with which an sire's calves will be born when he is bred to first-calf heifers.

Birth Weight EPD (BW), expressed in pounds, is a predictor of a sire's ability to transmit birth weight to his progeny compared to that of other sires.

Weaning Weight EPD (WW), expressed in pounds, is a predictor of a sire's ability to transmit weaning growth to his progeny compared to that of other sires.

Yearling Weight EPD (YW), expressed in pounds, is a predictor of a sire's ability to transmit yearling growth to his progeny compared to that of other sires.

Yearling Height EPD (YH), is a predictor of a sire's ability to transmit yearling height, expressed in inches, compared to the that of other sires.

Scrotal Circumference EPD (SC), expressed in centimeters, is a predictor of the difference in transmitting ability for scrotal size compared to that of other sires.

MATERNAL

Calving Ease Maternal (CEM), is expressed as a difference in percentage of unassisted births with a higher value indicating greater calving ease in first-calf daughters. It predicts the average ease with which a sire's daughters will calve as first-calf heifers when compared to daughters of other sires.

Maternal Milk EPD (Milk), is a predictor of a sire's genetic merit for milk and mothering ability as expressed in his daughters compared to daughters of other sires. In other words, it is that part of a calf's weaning weight attributed to milk and mothering ability.

Herds (MkH) indicate the number of herds from which daughters are reported.

Daughters (MkD) reflects the number of daughters that have progeny weaning weight records included in the analysis.

Mature Weight EPD (MW), expressed in pounds, is a predictor of the difference in mature weight of daughters of a sire compared to the daughters of other sires.

Mature Height EPD (MH),expressed in inches, is a predictor of the difference in mature height of a sire's daughters compared to daughters of other sires.

Cow Energy Value ($EN), expressed in dollars savings per cow per year, assesses differences in cow energy requirements as an expected dollar savings difference in daughters of sires. A larger value is more favorable when comparing two animals (more dollars saved on feed energy expenses). Components for computing the cow $EN savings difference include lactation energy requirements and energy costs associated with differences in mature cow size.

CARCASS

Carcass Weight EPD (CW), expressed in pounds is a predictor of the differences in hot carcass weight of a sire's progeny compared to progeny of other sires.

Marbling EPD (Marb), expressed as a fraction of the difference in USDA marbling score of a sire's progeny compared to progeny of other sires.

Ribeye Area EPD (RE), expressed in square inches, is a predictor of the difference in ribeye area of a sire's progeny compared to progeny of other sires.

Fat Thickness EPD (Fat), expressed in inches, is a predictor of the differences in external fat thickness at the 12th rib (as measured between the 12th and 13th ribs) of a sire's progeny compared to progeny of other sires.

Group/progeny (Grp/Pg) reflects the number of contemporary groups and the number of carcasses for each sire included in the analysis.

ULTRASOUND

Intramuscular Fat EPD (%IMF), is a predictor of the difference in a sire's progeny for percent intramuscular fat in the ribeye muscle compared to other sires.

Ribeye Area EPD (RE), is a predictor of the difference in square inches of ultrasound ribeye area of a sire's progeny compared to the progeny of other sires.

Fat Thickness EPD (FAT),expressed in inches, is a predictor of the difference in ultrasound fat thickness at the 12th rib of a sire's progeny compared to the progeny of other sires. It includes the weighted average of 60% of the rib fat measurement and 40% of the rump fat measurement.

Group/progeny (GP/PG) is the number of contemporary groups and number of progeny considered in this analysis.

$VALUE INDEXES

$Value indexes are multi-trait selection indexes, expressed in dollars per head, to assist beef producers by adding simplicity to genetic selection decisions. The $Value is an estimate of how future progeny of each sire are expected to perform, on average, compared to progeny of other sires in the database if the sires were randomly mated to cows and if calves were exposed to the same environment. More Info

Weaned Calf Value ($W), an index value expressed in dollars per head, is the expected average difference in future progeny performance for preweaning merit. $W includes both revenue and cost adjustments associated with differences in birth weight, weaning direct growth, maternal milk, and mature cow size.

Feedlot Value ($F), an index value expressed in dollars per head, is the expected average difference in future progeny performance for postweaning merit compared to progeny of other sires.

Grid Value ($G), an index value expressed in dollars per head, is the expected average difference in future progeny performance for carcass grid merit compared to progeny of other sires.

Beef Value ($B), an index value expressed in dollars per head, is the expected average difference in future progeny performance for postweaning and carcass value compared to progeny of other sires.

But, not all breeds have the same EPDs and the letter designation isn;t the same for the same trait in all breeds.
One breed uses CED as meaning calving ease direct, another it means calving ease daughters. You get the idea. Best bet is to go to the website of the breed association for the breed you're interested in and read their information

dun

farmerboy777":vs0wrmv9 said:
farmerboy777 - In "starting over from scratch" means that you were raising beef cattle once before, it would be helpful to know the answers to a few questions so that we may be able to get a grip on your level of understanding of this complicated BUSINESS.

1 - How long did you breed beef cattle?

2 - Why did you stop breeding beef cattle, and why are you considering beginning again?

3 - What breed or breeds do you have experience with?

4 - How many cow-calf pairs are you prepared to handle and do you have a sufficient grounding in their nutritional requirements?

5 - Are you going to use Purebred Bulls, or are you prepared to use AI or ET in your program - or both?

6 - How long have you been out of the Beef Cattle BUSINESS?

Give us as much information as you can in describing your physical plant - location of your facility, number of acres, and if you are adequately capitalized for several years until you have a CORRECT and SOLIDLY ESTABLISHED herd to preclude your having to "start over" a third time - - from scratch.

The fact that you recognize the importance of EPD's is a start. Do you understand the importance of recognizing Phenotype and how to combine EPD's with it for an optimal Terminal breeding herd?

Give us a good comprehension of your knowledge and abilities so that we can help you as much as possible.

DOC HARRIS

Sorry it took so long to reply. Internet problems. Have been in the beef industry for about 8 years; dairy cows about 10 years before that on my parents farm. I was in with my mother and father 50/50 and since she is my mother she got it her way. We had 15 cow/calf and 5 heifers which were Herfords. We sold all but three last spring. Ma wanted three to keep the weeds down. Herfords because ma though they look cute. I moved on and bought my own place and would like to market my 100% home grown steers to the public. I am looking for the highest carcass % and the best taste. Hard to find the best tasting breed but I think that the public has the Angus stuck in their head for the best tasting animal. Angus cross breed is just as good. Tender meat is the key. I own 85 acres but may be picking up another 50 this year. I live in central Wisconsin. Last thing is that like everyone else I am shooting for the best looking herd in the state. I didn't have this before.Thanks

Hi Everyone, I just have a couple Questions about Registration Papers. when you look at weaning weight WW and it is stated as 30.8 for instance what does that actually mean?

I know you explained everything once but I just don't know exactly where the numbers come from. I will do a search on yahoo or something too.

Thanks, Melissa

maplelanefarms_ont":2hm2gbhg said:
Hi Everyone, I just have a couple Questions about Registration Papers. when you look at weaning weight WW and it is stated as 30.8 for instance what does that actually mean?

I know you explained everything once but I just don't know exactly where the numbers come from. I will do a search on yahoo or something too.

Thanks, Melissa

It means the animal (let's say a bull) is EXPECTED to produce calves that weigh 30.8 lbs more at weaning than calves sired by a bull with a WW EPD of 0, assuming they are bred to the same cows, under the same management, etc. EPDs won't ever tell you what something will weigh.

maplelanefarms_ont":2c519iyt said:
Ok Thanks,
What would reasonable numbers be? is 30.8 good for WW compared to other bulls.
And what BW would you look for?

Melissa

Find the average EPDs on the breed you're interested in. That will tell you if an animal is above or below breed average.

I raise Angus. The American Angus Assn recommends using a bull with a BW EPD of less than 3 on first calf heifers. Other than that, I try to avoid high BW EPDs, not because of calving difficulty, but because, in my experience, bull buyers tend to shy away from bulls with BW EPDs of 5 or more.

Latest posts