What do you folks carry?

Help Support CattleToday:

On my first deer hunt as a kid one of my Dad's friends had an old 45-70 Goverment rolling block rifle. At the end of the day he ask me if I would like to try it. After I picked my backside up off the ground....A few years ago I had the chance to do some shooting with one of the repro .50 cal Long barreled Hawkens. That was fun. I think if I was going to go for big bores that would be my 1st choice.Z

Running Arrow Bill":1duru2fd said:
I'm amazed at all the people that actually have and use those .17 cal and .22 cal rifles! They're ok if you hit dead center at a critical organ and the animal isn't very large (small varmits). I'd think one would want a .223 or .243 at the minimal for varmit shooting. Something larger is even better. You need 1st shot stopping power regardless of where the animal was hit...if you miss a critical organ, then it slows the animal down enough to finish it off with a 2nd shot.

RAB, I carry a .22 Mag. and have used it for everything from small hogs ( ~100 lbs ) & yotes to Dun's possums on the half shell with no problems. You're right about having to shoot straight ( hit vital areas) but I thought that was the idea no matter how big a gun you use.

;-)

I take care of three places for three different sets of absentee owners plus I still can't seem to get clear of the Campbellton unit I managed before we bought this place a hundred miles away. All the places are under high fences and I spend more time patching fence then looking after the cattle. My .22 mag will do enough damage that what ever I hit is going to die if I get a decent body shot. Last month I rode up on a bunch of hogs and hit three out of four shots. A couple of hours later I found two of them. One was dead (rib shot) and the other was well on its way (gut shot) . Buzzards and coyotes ate good that night .Z

Figured I would throw my wish list gun out there. That I think would be great for around the farm or to carry horse back. It is the Winchester 9410 lever action 410 Shotgun. Believe it will hold ten shells and shoot slugs. When I find one somewhere I am going to buy it, hard to find gun.

9410.jpg

SKS assault rifle with 10 rounds in the mag primarily for beavers. I hate those @#$%#* pond wreckers!
gabby

You people must live in some bad neighborhoods. I have a safe full of guns to choose from but I never get one out unless I am going target practicing or hunting. I have never felt the need to pack one 24/7 let alone on every peice of rolling stock on the place.
If a coyote becomes a problem..... well I use to run a long line trapline. I still have a couple hundred coyote traps in the shed. They work 24/7 not just when you happen to see the culprit.
Dave

Usually a .22,.38, or.45. Sometimes a shovel, depending on what I'm doing. All are effective on snakes. ALL snakes should be killed. Those little ones grow up and eat people. Chrisy documented that.

Dave":1goaeaae said:
You people must live in some bad neighborhoods. I have a safe full of guns to choose from but I never get one out unless I am going target practicing or hunting. I have never felt the need to pack one 24/7 let alone on every peice of rolling stock on the place.
If a coyote becomes a problem..... well I use to run a long line trapline. I still have a couple hundred coyote traps in the shed. They work 24/7 not just when you happen to see the culprit.
Dave

My thoughts exactly. The only time I carry is sometimes when I'm bushhogging with a open cab tractor. I will carry a 22 ruger single six pistol to shoot the rats thats run around the tractor. This breaks the monotany and is some entertainment for me. For the past couple of season redtailed hawks have been following me around, I would rather watch the hawks get them than shoot em.

Dave":37ommr8c said:
Dave

I'd rather have a gun with me and not need it, versus needing it and it is home.

I have several pre-64 Winchesters. One is a beater. Those guns have a very short barrel and can be spun around in a pick-up quite easily. Great for feral hogs etc. I could pop an occasional coyote but they don't bother me so I don't bother them.

I am just too old to use the back sight anymore. Can't bounce cans at 100 yards the way I used to. Monovision contacts don't do anything for the shooting eye. I've thought about packing a 12 again but it takes away the reach. I think too much of my scoped rifles to go throwing them through the rough terrain continually.

A pistol loaded with rat shot is excellent for copper heads and rattlers.

Alice":2ywtv251 said:
Coyotes don't show themselves in the daylight around here. I carry fire ant poison.

Alice

I carry a water bottle full of dry fire ant poison in my truck and 4 wheelers. I use that more than anything else!

Ruger Ranch Rifle .223 behide the seat.

If I'm gonna be on foot in the woods, I will sometimes take my old New England Arms 20ga single for snakes.. Usually it ends up staying in the vehicle, because I don't have enough hands to do everything. If I'm on the tractor, I've got enough things to watch out for already without adding a firearm to the list. I keep a Marlin 30/30 and a .380 handy at home.. The long one's for four legged pests in the barn, and the short one's for two legged pests in the house.

I have never carried any kind of weapon. Never had a need to I guess. We have occasional coon or woodchuck. We would just run in the house and grab the 22 when we saw one.

But I may have rethink that... in the past 2 weeks a very large timberwolf was spotted by a nephew while in his deer stand. And brother-in-law has found clues that a bear is up in the woods. Kind of scares me :shock:

Michele

mitchwi":2oykd5o0 said:
I have never carried any kind of weapon. Never had a need to I guess. We have occasional coon or woodchuck. We would just run in the house and grab the 22 when we saw one.

But I may have rethink that... in the past 2 weeks a very large timberwolf was spotted by a nephew while in his deer stand. And brother-in-law has found clues that a bear is up in the woods. Kind of scares me :shock:

Michele

I never felt the need to carry a gun around my place, but lately when I go up on the mountain I carry a 9mm pistol. Bear are becoming more and more common in this area after being gone for centuries. Wouldn't bother me except that I know people have been feeding them which makes them very dangerous. I also know that pistol only slightly increases the odds in my favor and I would only use it as a last resort, but it makes me feel better. I also spotted my first bull elk up there last weekend. I'm not afraid of elk but I have heard stories about them during the rut when someone accidently gets between them and their cows.

Hasbeen":nd29o331 said:
mitchwi":nd29o331 said:

Michele

I never felt the need to carry a gun around my place, but lately when I go up on the mountain I carry a 9mm pistol. Bear are becoming more and more common in this area after being gone for centuries. Wouldn't bother me except that I know people have been feeding them which makes them very dangerous. I also know that pistol only slightly increases the odds in my favor and I would only use it as a last resort, but it makes me feel better. I also spotted my first bull elk up there last weekend. I'm not afraid of elk but I have heard stories about them during the rut when someone accidently gets between them and their cows.

I have not shot a lot of Bear, but I think I would be wanting me something bigger than a 9mm. Might think about getting you a 44 Mag for a better piece of mind.

This thread says nothing about what you have to or should carry, just what people do carry. I enjoy shootings and can never tell when I mightr feel the need to protect myself from some attacking dirt clod, stump, or whatever.

dun

Latest posts