What do you folks carry?

Help Support CattleToday:

a .44 magnum lever action with blue glazer rounds in it....the blue glazers do not ricochet.....they explode like a shotgun shell whenever they hit dirt....when they get a critter, they go into the cavity and explode....

Browning 22-250 with bull barrel, 55 grain moly coated bulistic tips, 8x32x40 bushnell scope, 10 million candle power spot light.

a lot of the time im at the farm by myself working, in my backpack onthe tractor 380 just right size for carrying 9mm for hiking picking berries, 15 rds in clip, the animals dont bother me.. its the werdo's out there that concern me.. LOL hopefully i never never have to use it.. but...
with all the shots gun types beeing used...hummm do i need to have a " gun rack" installed on my ROP on my kioti? :lol:
have a good every one rose

I have Ruger M-77 223 that's in the truck most of the time , but I also have a 220 swift with a 5-20 scope that's right on at 300 yards if i need to reach out and get serious.

from the sounds of this thread, we could start a "cattle today militia" ....the only nightmare would be supply of that many different rounds :D

MrGale":1msum5mc said:
from the sounds of this thread, we could start a "cattle today militia" ....the only nightmare would be supply of that many different rounds :D

NO!!! Too much noise!

Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle .223. 20 round clip. Great for Coyotes, Dogs, Trespassers. :shock:. Stays in the Truck or Mule, wherever I am.

S.R.R.":37jfpyb2 said:
45-70 Marlin lever action stainless steel guide gun. I have never had to shoot twice!! ;-)

Same here in Caliber never any guess if you hit your mark.
Prefer 1885 high wall also H&R 1871 both with 32 inch barrels.

On the tractors, and 4-wheeler I carry Ruger 10/22s with jana, or leapold 4 power scopes loaded with CCI mini-mags, in the truck it is a S&W mod. 41, iorn sights.
Mac

Caustic Burno":3oxxo24a said:
S.R.R.":3oxxo24a said:
45-70 Marlin lever action stainless steel guide gun. I have never had to shoot twice!! ;-)

I suppose I could throw the .300 in the truck, but that's just overkill.

Caustic Burno":2wj1klmc said:
S.R.R.":2wj1klmc said:

Winchester 300HP shell works every time. When it comes to killing something that needs it, there is no such thing as "over kill" its either dead or its not!

1885 high wall, NICE real NICE!!

S.R.R.":rxto8fiz said:
Caustic Burno":rxto8fiz said:
S.R.R.":rxto8fiz said:

Winchester 300HP shell works every time. When it comes to killing something that needs it, there is no such thing as "over kill" its either dead or its not!

If I have a choice I'm gonna shoot more often with shells that cost $4.00 a box and make a lot less noise. A box for the 300 WBY costs $60, and I wouldn't dare shoot something out of a tree when the bullet is 180 grains and flies around 3500 fps. And small guns force the user to utilize the "shot placement" concept. Go get yourself a 470 Nitro if you don't believe in overkill. By the way, what is the infatuation with a 45-70? Seems like I looked at ballistics not long ago and they weren't really all that impressive. Obviously the round is big bore, but so are a zillion others. I always hear folks bragging about 45-70 and haven't learned the reason. Is it nostalgia, or am I wrong about the performance?

D.R. Cattle":3pj00p0b said:
By the way, what is the infatuation with a 45-70? Seems like I looked at ballistics not long ago and they weren't really all that impressive. Obviously the round is big bore, but so are a zillion others. I always hear folks bragging about 45-70 and haven't learned the reason. Is it nostalgia, or am I wrong about the performance?

The trajectory may not be all that great and the paper ballistics may not be either, but that watermelon wabbling along makes a big hole and really penetrates.

dun

D.R. Cattle":3mry5bgh said:
S.R.R.":3mry5bgh said:
Caustic Burno":3mry5bgh said:
S.R.R.":3mry5bgh said:

If I have a choice I'm gonna shoot more often with shells that cost $4.00 a box and make a lot less noise. A box for the 300 WBY costs $60, and I wouldn't dare shoot something out of a tree when the bullet is 180 grains and flies around 3500 fps. And small guns force the user to utilize the "shot placement" concept. Go get yourself a 470 Nitro if you don't believe in overkill. By the way, what is the infatuation with a 45-70? Seems like I looked at ballistics not long ago and they weren't really all that impressive. Obviously the round is big bore, but so are a zillion others. I always hear folks bragging about 45-70 and haven't learned the reason. Is it nostalgia, or am I wrong about the performance?

HOLY COW D.R. Cattle!! :shock: (pun intended) You have got to get out more you truly do not know the 45-70 pull up a chair and have yourself a good read.

The .45-70 For the One Gun Big Game Hunter

By Matthew J. Hewett

In searching for the one gun with which to hunt big game all over the world I have come to the conclusion that the .45-70 in a lever or falling block action is the perfect rifle. With these rifles a hunter has the ability to fire factory ammunition that will take any game animal on this planet, and reloaders can create loads ranging from mild to magnum. Sure, there are other cartridges that are better suited to specific tasks, but the 45-70 can do all of them and has done so well and efficiently.

With standard 300 grain JHP factory loads from the Big Three companies you have ammo for CXP2 class game: deer, sheep, goats, feral pigs and the smaller species of antelope. The Winchester 300 grain Partition gold and Remington 405 grain soft point load will serve for CXP2 and CXP3 class game such as deer, caribou, and elk. The 405 grain load can also take all of the bear species as well as moose.

Then there are the full power and +P loads from Garret, Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore. With these you can successfully hunt all CXP3 class game, and even Cape buffalo, water buffalo, bison, and elephant. The 405 grain flat point Penetrator load from Cor-Bon has taken Cape Buffalo, zebra, and eland. The 500 grain FMJ flat point from Buffalo Bore and the 540 grain Hammerhead bullets from Garret have taken game up to and including hippo, rhino, and elephant.

With the modern falling block single shot rifles such as the Dakota 10, Ruger No.1 and Browning 1885, you can hand load spitzer bullets without worry. This includes the deadly Barnes 350 grain X-bullet spitzer. The strong action of these single shots lets you use the hottest .45-70 reloads.

A good lever action or falling block rifle with a low powered scope can make 250 yard shots possible. The key here is to practice and know the trajectory your load.

A man looking for one gun with which to hunt medium to large game animals cannot go wrong with a modern 45-70 rifle and ammunition. If I were armed with a modern 45-70 with a good peep sight or a low powered scope, I would not hesitate to hunt any game in any environment on earth.

Latest posts