What do you folks carry?

Help Support CattleToday:

A 9mm will only make a bear mad and he will come after you. I carry a 9mm Glock, love it. But a 9mm vs Bear? You would be better off running.

Thats why I carry a pepsi with me. When them dirt clods attack, I just pour a little pepsi on them, turns them right to mud. :eek: :eek:

I enjoy shootings and can never tell when I mightr feel the need to protect myself from some attacking dirt clod, stump, or whatever.
Thanks for the laugh Dun. This should actually be included in the "NRA Mission and Vision statement"

LonghornRanch":3sjqra9s said:
A 9mm will only make a bear mad and he will come after you. I carry a 9mm Glock, love it. But a 9mm vs Bear? You would be better off running.

Agreed, but as I said, I have no intention of shooting a bear with a 9mm. It just makes me feel better. Sort of a last resort, if I go, he goes with me. One shot to the head from six inches away. :p

Hasbeen":35jalnq3 said:
LonghornRanch":35jalnq3 said:

Agreed, but as I said, I have no intention of shooting a bear with a 9mm. It just makes me feel better. Sort of a last resort, if I go, he goes with me. One shot to the head from six inches away. :p

I say if you want to feel better, then have something that will actually let you live to tell your grandchildren about how you shot and killed a bear that attacked you.

aplusmnt":17273lw8 said:
Hasbeen":17273lw8 said:
LonghornRanch":17273lw8 said:

I say if you want to feel better, then have something that will actually let you live to tell your grandchildren about how you shot and killed a bear that attacked you.

Well I am not going bear hunting with a switch and thats what your doing with a pistol.
But at far as a sidearm I carry a Ruger Vacquero in 44 or 45 long colt, don't want to have to shoot but once.

Caustic Burno":dgg4yqc9 said:
aplusmnt":dgg4yqc9 said:
Hasbeen":dgg4yqc9 said:
LonghornRanch":dgg4yqc9 said:

Well I am not going bear hunting with a switch and thats what your doing with a pistol.
But at far as a sidearm I carry a Ruger Vacquero in 44 or 45 long colt, don't want to have to shoot but once.

I figured real men hunt bear with either Bows or Pistol. :lol:

All this talk about bears reminds me of the joke about how can you recognize bear scat? It;s the stuff that smells like pepper srpay and has little jingle bells in it.

dun

dun":2aqc7heg said:
All this talk about bears reminds me of the joke about how can you recognize bear scat? It;s the stuff that smells like pepper srpay and has little jingle bells in it.

dun

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hasbeen":2fwyuk70 said:
Well folks, you've taken away my security blanket. If I see Mr Bear, I'll just have to try to negotiate.

I believe Daniel Boone killed bears with just his knife! Maybe you should get yourself a good bowie knife!;-)

The best way to protect yourself from a Bear is to have someone with you that you can out run. (evil smirk)

We are talking black bears here. The best protection is to make plenty of noise so you don't accidently sneak up on one. 99.999999% of the time they will avoid you if they can. In that rare case where one does decide to become a problem a 9mm would work. Not my prefered gun but it would work. It just takes having the stones to let the bear crawl down the gun barrel before you start shooting.

Dave

Oh, and remember to save the last one for yourself in case the rest didn't work

LonghornRanch":1u6zgiiq said:
The best way to protect yourself from a Bear is to have someone with you, you can out run. (evil smirk)

I thought of that but if I take someone with me that I can outrun I would have to push their wheelchair up the mountain.

Dave":3fnt0wo9 said:
We are talking black bears here. The best protection is to make plenty of noise so you don't accidently sneak up on one. 99.999999% of the time they will avoid you if they can. In that rare case where one does decide to become a problem a 9mm would work. Not my prefered gun but it would work. It just takes having the stones to let the bear crawl down the gun barrel before you start shooting.

Dave

Oh, and remember to save the last one for yourself in case the rest didn't work

That's the way I see it. Get to higher ground to make myself appear bigger, make a lot of loud noises, and back away slowly. Black bears aren't agressive toward humans unless some fools been feeding them from their lunch bag everyday. As I said, I have no intention of bear hunting with a handgun, it just makes me feel better to have it with me.

I've never seen a bear on my place, they are rare so far in this area but are being seen more and more often. The closest was about 3 miles away last fall on the playground of a school.

Funny story. My wife works in the board office of our local school system. When the bear showed up at the school the school secretary called the board office in a panic. The conversation went like this:

School secretary: "This is **** School, there's a bear here! What do we do?!!!!

My Wife: A bear? Oh Goodness! Where are the children?

Secretary: It's recess, some are inside, some are outside. What do we do?!!!

My wife: Where's the bear?

Secretary: I don't know! What do we do?

My wife: If the bear is inside, take the children outside. If the bear is outside, bring the kids in.

Fortunately, the bear was outside near the dumpster, of couse, and some of the more level headed teachers had already rounded up the kids and brought them inside. My wife called 911 and they sent the sheriff and the wildlife people out but the bear and her two cubs had already left before anyone got there.

Was at the gun store today and as i was going down the rifle section (the lean them up on ground on a rack). Saw a rifle that had a barrel opening about the size of a 12 gauge. It was one of those 45-70 guns you guys were talking about. I would think if you shoot an animal in the tail with one of those it would drop them. I would hate to see how bad they would kick.

They had some single shots in that caliber but also a Marlin Lever action. I could not imagine ever needing more than one shot.

Latest posts