What do you folks carry?

Help Support CattleToday:

Deoends, not the diaper.
Stls synthetic 10/22 with Remington Yellow Jackets strapped to one mule, the other mule may have either an M1 Carbine (Winchester), Stevens 44 1/2 .410, or a Weatherby MkXXII.
Pocket is usually an AMT Backup .22. Holster may be a Ruger Security Six, Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R Mag, Taurus 9 shoot 22 lr, H&K P9M8, Star Firestar 9mm, Colt Service Model Ace, for S&G sometime a Broomhandle Mauser or a Luger. Before too long there will be a S&W TI in 38 Special or a Taurus lite in 32 H&R Mag.
Kind of fepends on what mood strikes me.

dun

Crowderfarms":1rk9kmzw said:
Dun,

You forgot one last thing: Armed security guard 3 nights a week. You pick the nights.

I or the wife are the armed security guard. We're so far off the road that if someone comes up here they either belong or they're lost and we can see their headlights from a long ways away.
I guess I should have specified that it's only one at a time, I don;t wear a bandalero loaded with everything at the same time.
I'm still trying to figure out how to mount a rifle rack in the tractor, I'll probably carry a Contender in either 22 K-Hornet or 218 Mashburn Bee in there

dun

The wifes carry selection is boring, Ruger Security Six all the time.

dun

My wife carries a S&W "LadySmith". She don't like the .357's in it though. They are too loud and kick too much. :lol: She prefers the .38's.

She was telling this to the sheriff the other day. He asked her, tongue in cheek, if she was worried about hurting someone too bad or maybe ruining someone's hearing. :shock:

Don't do much varmit shooting, mostly worry about snakes. Either cary a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag with first 4 rounds loaded with snake shot or a ithaca 16 gauge pump with short barrel. When riding the mules I like the Ruger strapped on the horn of the saddle in the truck usually throw the 16 gauge pump in.

If I feel the need for a rifle I throw a 30/30 Winchester in the truck.

Here in SW Florida we have some hogs that will laugh at a .22 or .22 Mag unless you hit him in exactly the right spot, and they are generally running. So, during most of the season, esp. hunting, I carry a ..357 Mag. handgun, Ruger SS .22 mag, and a .243 BA.R. . NOW, my problem is processing the need to the appropriate firearm. at my age that ain't easy.:eek:)

Darn, I need more guns! use either a Ruger 10\22 with a 35 round clip... for fun. Like Dun, we live off the road a bit, so for the meth heads (varmits) I have a S&W 9mm or the standard Rem. 12 guage with the plug removed.

Have a nice day :eek:

Alan

I carry a .22 mag on my hip any time I'm out of the truck either on foot or horseback. The first two rounds a snakeshot and the rest hollow points. The snake shot will wear out a rattlesnake and while the hollow point .22 mag won't usually drop a hog in it's tracks it'll tear them up enought inside they are going off some where and die. With the class of cattle I look after coyotes are not a problem. The last thing a coyote wants to do is mess with one of their calves.Z

When needed I pack a Baretta 96 .40 cal and/or Remington 870 pump 20 ga. Even a 20 ga with buckshot can do a lot of damage at 50 to 100 feet!

I'm amazed at all the people that actually have and use those .17 cal and .22 cal rifles! They're ok if you hit dead center at a critical organ and the animal isn't very large (small varmits). I'd think one would want a .223 or .243 at the minimal for varmit shooting. Something larger is even better. You need 1st shot stopping power regardless of where the animal was hit...if you miss a critical organ, then it slows the animal down enough to finish it off with a 2nd shot.

I can't see the .17 cal. It was developed as a pistol competition round to be super fast and flat. The . 22mag might not drop a hog or a coyote on the first shot but if you hit it in the body it's going to bounce around inside like the balls on an old fashioned pinball machine. It does enough damage that what ever you hit is going to die. I haven't had the reason to shoot any coyotes in a while but I do get all the hogs I can find. If they don't die on the spot I don't care. Just as long as they aren't tearing up fences and pastureland I'm happy.

In your part of Texas a 100-200 yard shot is pretty common. Down here in the brush country if you can see 50 yards it's a minor miracle.Z

Dun Is Tarus making the .32mag on a military and police frame? I wanted to get my wife a .32 mag several years ago but all there was out there was the Ruger on a western frame and that's a little bulky to carry in her purse. I got her a hammerless airweight but she really doesn't like it and the .32 mag has more knockdown power anyway.Z

MillIronQH":1e43j81h said:
Dun Is Tarus making the .32mag on a military and police frame? I wanted to get my wife a .32 mag several years ago but all there was out there was the Ruger on a western frame and that's a little bulky to carry in her purse. I got her a hammerless airweight but she really doesn't like it and the .32 mag has more knockdown power anyway.Z

Not sure which you consider the M&P frame. I've only looked at the snubbies in the lightest rig I could find.

http://taurususa.com/products/products-revolvers.cfm

One of the things I like about the 32 H&R is you can shoot S&W shorts or S&W longs in it too. The shorts really help to introduce someone to trigger squeeze and sight alignment. It's about the equivilent of a CB cap. I also have foundthat all 3 of the 32s are incredibly accurate.
The H&R will also drop a cow in it's tracks with a frontal brain shot at about 25 feet. Maybe further too, but I know it will from the distance.

dun

"Down here in the brush country if you can see 50 yards it's a minor miracle.Z" ~ MillIronQH

Same thing here in Upstate New York and it's why I use a .222 and a 12ga.

Not much need at all for more than 100 yds range cept the occasional woodchuck and a 3.5"magnum 12ga slug drops anything I might run across in North America.
The 12ga is nice cause I can also use it for squirrels, rabbits, ducks etc etc.

S.R.R.":9vm03vex said:
D.R. Cattle":9vm03vex said:
Caustic Burno":9vm03vex said:
45-70 Marlin lever action stainless steel guide gun. I have never had to shoot twice!! ;-)

Same here in Caliber never any guess if you hit your mark.
Prefer 1885 high wall also H&R 1871 both with 32 inch barrels.

Winchester 300HP shell works every time. When it comes to killing something that needs it, there is no such thing as "over kill" its either dead or its not!

1885 high wall, NICE real NICE!!

If I have a choice I'm gonna shoot more often with shells that cost $4.00 a box and make a lot less noise. A box for the 300 WBY costs $60, and I wouldn't dare shoot something out of a tree when the bullet is 180 grains and flies around 3500 fps. And small guns force the user to utilize the "shot placement" concept. Go get yourself a 470 Nitro if you don't believe in overkill. By the way, what is the infatuation with a 45-70? Seems like I looked at ballistics not long ago and they weren't really all that impressive. Obviously the round is big bore, but so are a zillion others. I always hear folks bragging about 45-70 and haven't learned the reason. Is it nostalgia, or am I wrong about the performance?

HOLY COW D.R. Cattle!! :shock: (pun intended) You have got to get out more you truly do not know the 45-70 pull up a chair and have yourself a good read.

The .45-70 For the One Gun Big Game Hunter

By Matthew J. Hewett

In searching for the one gun with which to hunt big game all over the world I have come to the conclusion that the .45-70 in a lever or falling block action is the perfect rifle. With these rifles a hunter has the ability to fire factory ammunition that will take any game animal on this planet, and reloaders can create loads ranging from mild to magnum. Sure, there are other cartridges that are better suited to specific tasks, but the 45-70 can do all of them and has done so well and efficiently.

With standard 300 grain JHP factory loads from the Big Three companies you have ammo for CXP2 class game: deer, sheep, goats, feral pigs and the smaller species of antelope. The Winchester 300 grain Partition gold and Remington 405 grain soft point load will serve for CXP2 and CXP3 class game such as deer, caribou, and elk. The 405 grain load can also take all of the bear species as well as moose.

Then there are the full power and +P loads from Garret, Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore. With these you can successfully hunt all CXP3 class game, and even Cape buffalo, water buffalo, bison, and elephant. The 405 grain flat point Penetrator load from Cor-Bon has taken Cape Buffalo, zebra, and eland. The 500 grain FMJ flat point from Buffalo Bore and the 540 grain Hammerhead bullets from Garret have taken game up to and including hippo, rhino, and elephant.

With the modern falling block single shot rifles such as the Dakota 10, Ruger No.1 and Browning 1885, you can hand load spitzer bullets without worry. This includes the deadly Barnes 350 grain X-bullet spitzer. The strong action of these single shots lets you use the hottest .45-70 reloads.

A good lever action or falling block rifle with a low powered scope can make 250 yard shots possible. The key here is to practice and know the trajectory your load.

A man looking for one gun with which to hunt medium to large game animals cannot go wrong with a modern 45-70 rifle and ammunition. If I were armed with a modern 45-70 with a good peep sight or a low powered scope, I would not hesitate to hunt any game in any environment on earth.

So the answer to my original question is "flexibility"?

D.R. Cattle":25km3uhx said:
S.R.R.":25km3uhx said:
D.R. Cattle":25km3uhx said:
Caustic Burno":25km3uhx said:
45-70 Marlin lever action stainless steel guide gun. I have never had to shoot twice!! ;-)

Winchester 300HP shell works every time. When it comes to killing something that needs it, there is no such thing as "over kill" its either dead or its not!

1885 high wall, NICE real NICE!!

If I have a choice I'm gonna shoot more often with shells that cost $4.00 a box and make a lot less noise. A box for the 300 WBY costs $60, and I wouldn't dare shoot something out of a tree when the bullet is 180 grains and flies around 3500 fps. And small guns force the user to utilize the "shot placement" concept. Go get yourself a 470 Nitro if you don't believe in overkill. By the way, what is the infatuation with a 45-70? Seems like I looked at ballistics not long ago and they weren't really all that impressive. Obviously the round is big bore, but so are a zillion others. I always hear folks bragging about 45-70 and haven't learned the reason. Is it nostalgia, or am I wrong about the performance?

HOLY COW D.R. Cattle!! :shock: (pun intended) You have got to get out more you truly do not know the 45-70 pull up a chair and have yourself a good read.

The .45-70 For the One Gun Big Game Hunter

By Matthew J. Hewett

In searching for the one gun with which to hunt big game all over the world I have come to the conclusion that the .45-70 in a lever or falling block action is the perfect rifle. With these rifles a hunter has the ability to fire factory ammunition that will take any game animal on this planet, and reloaders can create loads ranging from mild to magnum. Sure, there are other cartridges that are better suited to specific tasks, but the 45-70 can do all of them and has done so well and efficiently.

With standard 300 grain JHP factory loads from the Big Three companies you have ammo for CXP2 class game: deer, sheep, goats, feral pigs and the smaller species of antelope. The Winchester 300 grain Partition gold and Remington 405 grain soft point load will serve for CXP2 and CXP3 class game such as deer, caribou, and elk. The 405 grain load can also take all of the bear species as well as moose.

Then there are the full power and +P loads from Garret, Cor-Bon and Buffalo Bore. With these you can successfully hunt all CXP3 class game, and even Cape buffalo, water buffalo, bison, and elephant. The 405 grain flat point Penetrator load from Cor-Bon has taken Cape Buffalo, zebra, and eland. The 500 grain FMJ flat point from Buffalo Bore and the 540 grain Hammerhead bullets from Garret have taken game up to and including hippo, rhino, and elephant.

With the modern falling block single shot rifles such as the Dakota 10, Ruger No.1 and Browning 1885, you can hand load spitzer bullets without worry. This includes the deadly Barnes 350 grain X-bullet spitzer. The strong action of these single shots lets you use the hottest .45-70 reloads.

A good lever action or falling block rifle with a low powered scope can make 250 yard shots possible. The key here is to practice and know the trajectory your load.

A man looking for one gun with which to hunt medium to large game animals cannot go wrong with a modern 45-70 rifle and ammunition. If I were armed with a modern 45-70 with a good peep sight or a low powered scope, I would not hesitate to hunt any game in any environment on earth.

So the answer to my original question is "flexibility"?

Yes, sure, that is part of it D.R. Cattle. It is the kind off caliber and firearm that unless you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to use one you will find it hard to understand the love for it that people have. When I open the safe and pull out a gun to throw in the scapboard for the day it is 9 times out of 10 the marlin 45-70 GS. Onces you have used it, and killed with it, you find it hard to want much else.

Caustic Burno":11cudndp said:
S.R.R.":11cudndp said:

Is that H&R the trapdoor job? I tied shooting one of the custer commemorative officer models, twice. Realy it was 2 times, one. Knocked the dogwater out of me. Since then the only 45-70 I've shot has been in a Contneder

dun

dun":3n9k6irv said:
Caustic Burno":3n9k6irv said:
S.R.R.":3n9k6irv said:

Is that H&R the trapdoor job? I tied shooting one of the custer commemorative officer models, twice. Realy it was 2 times, one. Knocked the dogwater out of me. Since then the only 45-70 I've shot has been in a Contneder

dun

No it is a a break over.

Latest posts