What brand/ply baler belts do you use?

Help Support CattleToday:

dvcochran

Reaction score
I may be replacing the belts on a Vermeer 504 SI. I have looked at several sites and don't see a lot of consistency except most of them claim to sell OEM belts and the prices I have seen are pretty close. My questions; is there a specific manufacturer you recommend (like Continental, etc...) and is 3 ply belts stronger/better, or worse, than 2 ply. I see both listed for my baler. I have only seen the clipper lacing on Vermeer balers, never the gator lacing. Any thoughts on lacing?

I wanted 3 ply for durability and diamond pattern for grip, same as came on my JD 530 and 375 when new. I don't know the technical term but there are 2 styles of connections and it would pay you to spend the extra bucks now and get the premium fasteners, not the one with the "hog ring" type doo-dads with the plastic coated wire running through them. Other thing is to get the OEM measurements for your new belts, not rely on measuring what you have....they can and do stretch.

On what brand, I don't remember. Just look for long time supplier....quality survives the test of time.

Call these folks here, they know more about your baler and what belts would suit your needs than anyone else out there. I've bought belts from them in the past and will continue to do so going forward.

I would recommend the alligator style lacing rather than the original clipper style if it will work in your baler, these folks will know.

https://usbalerbelts.com/

Also here is a video on how to put the alligator laces on. I took my belts out, cut the same length and put new ends on. I bought the new alligator laces and the device to put them on. Make sure you get them perfectly square and you have to have a tool to cut the thickness of the belt down to put the new alligator laces on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ma8Qv1YIo

jltrent said:
Also here is a video on how to put the alligator laces on. I took my belts out, cut the same length and put new ends on. I bought the new alligator laces and the device to put them on. Make sure you get them perfectly square and you have to have a tool to cut the thickness of the belt down to put the new alligator laces on.

I bought the whole tool kit and a handful of lace sets when I bought this baler, then turned around and put new belts on it so I've never had to use it. Anything to be mindful of other than making sure the belts are square?

The belts you put alligator laces on, did they originally come with alligators or clippers? Which model baler?

cfpinz said:
jltrent said:

I bought the whole tool kit and a handful of lace sets when I bought this baler, then turned around and put new belts on it so I've never had to use it. Anything to be mindful of other than making sure the belts are square?

The belts you put alligator laces on, did they originally come with alligators or clippers? Which model baler?

The M balers have 2 different length belts. It came with the alligator connectors. They had not changed the pins as these need changing every few thousand bales as I got the baler used. Some of the pins were broke/bent etc and the laces were getting in bad shape, belts in good shape. You have to be careful and make sure each end lines up right and cut the belt thickness down to were the new clips will go on. I think I had to cut around 2" off each belt average to make them all the same length.

Here is were I bought the baler as I have put almost 5k bales through it since then. Hard to believe it is still hanging out there, but here is were bought it on Ebay. I was looking at new one then for around 30k and got this one for $7700 as it looked like new and put around $500 in parts. Those laces connector are around $50 per belt.

A neighbor has used his new "R" baler the last two years and I was talking with him last week about it. It makes a nice bale and he said no problem so far. I would sure like to have one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261046479977?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_534wt_932

NZnuUWy.jpg

Thanks.

I like the looks of those R balers, too. Haven't heard any real complaints out of them so far, which is a good thing. To me they're almost a copy of a green baler with a yellow paint job, at least that's what I keep telling my local dealer.

I sold my old 504L baler this spring to finance the purchase of a really nice M840 discbine. One of these days, I'd like to pick up either a 504R or a 458/459 JD to pull behind the smaller cab tractor and use as a backup to the 604M.

I tallked with this man today and he seems to know a lot about belts. Might give him a call.
https://haytools.com/baler%20belts.htm

This is a Vermeer baler question. My 504 made ok bales first cutting but were not very tight. Had a twine issue that was resolved but I know that has nothing to do with bale density.. The belts are not wanting to spin when the baler is empty and the gate is closed. I have had all the chains off and all the rollers are turning free and quiet. The manual says to adjust the tension spring bolts to 5 1/2". They are already adjusted down to about 4". Would this be an indication the belts have stretched and need to be resized? There are no splices in any of the belts but there is little to no dimpling left and the belts are pretty much smooth. Should I just go ahead and remove one belt and measure? The manual calls for 424 inches. I am
spit balling but it will take about an inch on each end to cut out the old splices. If I end up with say 422" or even 420" is this a problem? Or should I add a splice to get exactly back to 424?
The baler has hydraulic density as well. I had it set around 800 psi but one person said it should be closer to 1500 psi. Does that make sense? What pressure do you run yours at?

dvcochran said:
This is a Vermeer baler question. My 504 made ok bales first cutting but were not very tight. Had a twine issue that was resolved but I know that has nothing to do with bale density.. The belts are not wanting to spin when the baler is empty and the gate is closed. I have had all the chains off and all the rollers are turning free and quiet. The manual says to adjust the tension spring bolts to 5 1/2". They are already adjusted down to about 4". Would this be an indication the belts have stretched and need to be resized? There are no splices in any of the belts but there is little to no dimpling left and the belts are pretty much smooth. Should I just go ahead and remove one belt and measure? The manual calls for 424 inches. I am
spit balling but it will take about an inch on each end to cut out the old splices. If I end up with say 422" or even 420" is this a problem? Or should I add a splice to get exactly back to 424?
The baler has hydraulic density as well. I had it set around 800 psi but one person said it should be closer to 1500 psi. Does that make sense? What pressure do you run yours at?

An inch or two off either side isn't a game changer, but if they get cut down too much you won't be able to make a full size bale. You're just guessing at this point, the only way to know what you have is to pull them and measure - at that point you can make an informed decision. On my old L (very similar to your baler) I had about 2' cut out of each belt and added a short section to get back to original length. Even with the springs set at 4-1/2", most of the time it wouldn't start turning until I fed a little hay into it. It didn't have a numerical pressure gauge on it, just red/yellow/green - so I can't tell you the exact pressure reading.

If you don't have the manuals for your baler contact Vermeer with model #/Serial # and get them free to your house. When I cut all my belts to the same length I think I remember reading it said you could cut them up to 10" and that would be acceptable, it is in one of the manuals. I figured mine was stretched all to heck, but there was maybe 2" difference in some, but cutting them to the same length I could tell some difference even that amount. As stated above empty chamber non-turning belts is not abnormal and has no effect on performance.

Call the HayDR 423-207-1349 and I will give a free tune-up instructions over the phone.

Call the HayDR 423-207-1349 and I will give a free tune-up instructions over the phone.
Haydr, I see you are out of JC. Anything to do with Carter and Carter. One of the Carters has passed away and the other is up there. I hope somebody can carry on.

I was a partner there for 16 years. William Carter passed away 4 years ago. Clyde just got out of the hospital, he is 91
I bought a baler there a few years ago and was always amazed at the knowledge William had about those baler. A husband and wife combo worked there that are very knowledgeable also.(not sure they are still there) The last time I was in there probably last year I ask about William and was sad to here he had passed. I have came close to buying one of the off brand tedders 4 basket they sell as they look almost like a Krone. Still pretty interested. The town has grew up so much around there it is amazing in the last few years.

Latest posts