Found this mayo recipe and had to give it a try, it's worth the try -
1 large egg
1 tsp Dijon mustard
5 large basil leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Course salt and black pepper
1 cup olive oil

Blend all together.

Alison I am curious is the citric acid from the lemon juice enough to neutralize bacteria in the egg in the mayonnaise recipe? I am curious if using the raw egg is problem. I really do not know and was always warned about eating dough and batter which contained raw eggs. Was it just a n overprotective parent or am I just remembering wrong? Thanks JLP

Jalopy":viurvpz4 said:
Alison I am curious is the citric acid from the lemon juice enough to neutralize bacteria in the egg in the mayonnaise recipe? I am curious if using the raw egg is problem. I really do not know and was always warned about eating dough and batter which contained raw eggs. Was it just a n overprotective parent or am I just remembering wrong? Thanks JLP

You have good reason to be concerned but the major source of salmonella or food borne disease will come from contamination from the outer shell itself. This shouldn't be a problem with fresh store bought eggs since their shells are washed and sanitized. The problem is more likely with fresh homegrown eggs out of coop. You need to be very careful with these and either wash and sanitize the eggs before you use them for something like mayo or be very sure not to contaminate any of the whites or yolks with pieces of loose shell from a poor break. The lemon juice is just for flavor and is not enough to prevent salmonella or some other funk. Sanitation is key.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone else on here have one of these. Hubby brought 2 over from the States for a 2014 Christmas for myself and my mom. It is fantastic for finger foods like buffalo wings, cheese sticks, poppers, and pizza. I like it better than my pizza stone, I just have to make my pizzas 12 inches now instead of 15 ;-)

Jogeephus":171atre4 said:
Can't say I've ever seen one of those. What does it do? Or I should say, how does it work?

Joe, it is a Presto Pizza Plus, I think it was purchased in Texas for around 60 dollars. It is dual heated but you cannot control the temp just top or bottom and it turns around with air circulating so it is like a convection as well.

I have never seen them in Alberta before but not sure if elsewhere in Canada carries them. It is the niftiest invention ever, and even my husband and nephew can use it without supervision. My mom and dad love it because it is easy to clean and very convenient to use.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/C24LDi_TZfw[/youtube]

We had one of those for a couple years until.it quit working. They are nice for frozen pizzas also. On ours you just set the time and let it go. MY have to get another one someday.

Jalopy":3jqeba1n said:
Your concerns are valid Jalopy, no overprotective parent :D . I suppose one could coddle or pasteurize the egg before use. Another method is to cook the egg yolk with a little water verry slowly(Bacteria is found in the yolk not the white) and then use in the recipe...or one could just throw caution to the wind and slurp the cake bowl, have a raw eggnog and don't forget the steak tartare and a glass of unpasteurized milk :banana:

Isn't salmonella in yolks extremely rare though?

Edit: From what I've read, most chances of salmonella in mayo comes from dirty shells but in the rare occasion its in the yolk here is an exert from Alton Brown. Sounds a little against the grain but he is about as knowledgeable a person as I know when it comes to food safety. Hope this helps.

"And there we have it. Ah, good body, nice cling, and the flavor, mm, just try to get that out of a jar. But it does fit in a jar. Now I usually cover my fresh mayo and leave it at room temperature for 4 to 8 hours. [camera does a double-take on the jar] Now take it easy. Take it easy. I know. Leaving raw eggs in this zone sounds like crazy talk. But here's the thing. There's a small, tiny, infinitesimal, little chance that, uh, that egg yolk was contaminated with salmonella. Now the cold of the refrigerator would prevent that salmonella from breeding but it will not actually kill it. Acid, on the hand, will. And with a pH of, wow, 3.6 this is a decidedly acidic environment. But for reasons that still have lab-coaters scratching their heads, acid does its best bug killing at room temperature. So leaving this out for 8, 10, even 12 hours is sound sanitation. After that, straight to the refrigerator for no more than a week. You can even put it in the door."

Almost but not quite. The South African will tell you that biltong is by far tastier than jerky and the American will say the same about jerky. I've tasted both and must say I prefer biltong but spose it's got something to do with conditioning ;-)

I just had a fab grilled cheese (it's Lent). Wheat bread, pepper jack, avocado, tomato, homemade squash relish and mayo with a nice Chardonnay. :cboy:

Latest posts