What kind of chickens?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ok I was talking to southern states manager he asked if I wanted to order chicks through him because he is placing the order for the store soon. I bought 20 layers they all lived. Is it cheaper to buy direct from a hatchery? If so which hatchery? Should I just get them through ss? I want 40 broilers

Go on the web site for a few of the hatcheries. Try Meyers, (Pa I think) and Ideal in Tx is a good one to deal with. Where the SS manager gets their birds? You will probably get a better price from the ss cuz they will often give a discount for larger orders..... and you might want to get them in 2 bunches as they will grow out pretty quick. Usually our TSC gets 2 or 3 different batches in to the store as they sell out pretty quick. If I can think of any others I'll let you know.

Estes hatchery is a good one. Not far from us either.

http://www.esteshatchery.com/store/

We are lucky enough to have some hen houses near by, and when they clean out the houses of the overload, I can pick up 20 week old hens, usually Cinnamon Queens, just starting to lay, for $2 each. I can not buy and raise them that cheap! They lay very large brown eggs for several years!

Latest posts