Eating a Racoon

Help Support CattleToday:

My grandfather hunted and sold hides. Coons were scarce back in that day.
They told a story about him selling hides, one time before Christmas he and my grandmother went to the big city of Lexington Ky for the dual purpose of him selling his hides and her looking around for some Christmas ideas. My grandmother would look around the clothing stores and get ideas and patterns to make clothes. They took her mother with them and didn't tell her about the hides. Along the way she kept saying she smelled polecat. Every where they stopped she'd comment on it, they never did tell her he had some skunk hides in the vehicle.
People did what they had to do no shame in making an honest living.

My grandfather hunted and sold hides. Coons were scarce back in that day.
They told a story about him selling hides, one time before Christmas he and my grandmother went to the big city of Lexington Ky for the dual purpose of him selling his hides and her looking around for some Christmas ideas. My grandmother would look around the clothing stores and get ideas and patterns to make clothes. They took her mother with them and didn't tell her about the hides. Along the way she kept saying she smelled polecat. Every where they stopped she'd comment on it, they never did tell her he had some skunk hides in the vehicle.
People did what they had to do no shame in making an honest living.
My grandpa said there was hardly any coons when he was growing up, he had possum dogs.
We lived on the Texas, Mexico border when I was in the fourth grade, there was very few coons out there, mostly ringtail cats.
I use to go with a trapper after school to check and set traps.
Langtry, Tx. Was the town.

My grandpa said there was hardly any coons when he was growing up, he had possum dogs.
We lived on the Texas, Mexico border when I was in the fourth grade, there was very few coons out there, mostly ringtail cats.
I use to go with a trapper after school to check and set traps.
Langtry, Tx. Was the town.
There isn't much there now. The little state park where Bean's place is and a half way kinda cafe that's only open on weekends and holidays. A souped up roach coach last time I was there (2017) Seminole Canyon near Comstock is impressive tho. Maybe they've improved things since then. Looking south down the Pecos toward the Rio Grande, which is just past the cliff edge

pecos lookingtomexico.jpg

Comstock on the edge of the canyon
DSC0002322.jpg

Last edited:
When i was young we had no coons, very very few deer, no coyotes, no beaver or otter. We had lots of Quail, rabbits, squirrel, and lots of possum.
We had lots of fish until the game commission decided we needed otters. Creeks are almost barren now.
When they started planting those crossbred sterile rainbow, and bass, all the better trout disappeared.

There isn't much there now. The little state park where Bean's place is and a half way kinda cafe that's only open on weekends and holidays. A souped up roach coach last time I was there (2017) Seminole Canyon near Comstock is impressive tho. Maybe they've improved things since then. Looking south down the Pecos toward the Rio Grande, which is just past the cliff edge

View attachment 41803

Comstock on the edge of the canyon
View attachment 41804
The school we went to went to the eighth grade, 2 class rooms, 1-4 in one class, 5-8 in the other, 2 teachers, they were husband and wife.
We used to roam them canyons along the rio grande, it was a young boys paradise.

The school we went to went to the eighth grade, 2 class rooms, 1-4 in one class, 5-8 in the other, 2 teachers, they were husband and wife.
We used to roam them canyons along the rio grande, it was a young boys paradise.
When I was young I went to a 2 room school. We didn't have enough kids for both rooms. We had 26 kids from first to the eighth grade with 1 teacher in SE MO. I went to that school, my dad went to that school and my grandmother even went to that school. I know some of you are thinking this guy is from MO but we didn't all go at the same time. Just the same building

When I was young I went to a 2 room school. We didn't have enough kids for both rooms. We had 26 kids from first to the eighth grade with 1 teacher in SE MO. I went to that school, my dad went to that school and my grandmother even went to that school. I know some of you are thinking this guy is from MO but we didn't all go at the same time. Just the same building
I was in the fourth grade, me and another boy were the only fourth graders.