I need a suggestion or 2 for a Christmas dish.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
A contribution For the family get together. Smaller group this year only about a dozen people.
I was considering a traditional figgy pudding but I've never made it. Looks easy enough but doesn't really sound like something I want to bring leftovers home from...

A Christmas slant on King Ranch chicken? (using turkey instead of chicken tho) Maybe using the green & red chips instead of the regular yellow ones?

Mac & Cheese and sweet potato dishes are out.. Those are both someone else's wheelhouse.
No pork. I'm tired of pork right now.

How to make chicken fried steaks.. Christmassy?

A contribution For the family get together. Smaller group this year only about a dozen people.
I was considering a traditional figgy pudding but I've never made it. Looks easy enough but doesn't really sound like something I want to bring leftovers home from...

A Christmas slant on King Ranch chicken? (using turkey instead of chicken tho) Maybe using the green & red chips instead of the regular yellow ones?

Mac & Cheese and sweet potato dishes are out.. Those are both someone else's wheelhouse.

Being Texan you probably are used to cornbread dressing. You might consider a New England approach and with an oyster dressing
and/or Yorkshire pudding. I have had both Damned Yankee and Rebel Rouser Christmases where anything served with love and blessings
was all that was required. Blessings to all who sit at the table. LVR

Being Texan you probably are used to cornbread dressing. You might consider a New England approach and with an oyster dressing
and/or Yorkshire pudding. I have had both Damned Yankee and Rebel Rouser Christmases where anything served with love and blessings
was all that was required. Blessings to all who sit at the table. LVR
Too many of us diabetic (over 1/2 the family) for Yorkshire pudding tho it would be good and if not for the flour it would work. If not for diabetes, I would just make kolaches.
At least 2 people are allergic to shellfish so oysters are out as well.
Thanks tho!

My 2 older sisters would have a cow if I made the drunken beans (barracho beans).
teetotalers

Serve it on a Christmas Platter? 🤷

Couple of cans of Wolf's chili, stir in a can of Bush's best mixed Chili beans for good measure and start a New Texas Christmas tradition. :) :) :)

edited to add:
SmokinM's recommendation of serving it on a bed of spaghetti
and for a festive touch, garnish with canned cranberries on the side.

Last edited:
Chili with spaghetti noodles in it, I hear its all the rage. Plus it will keep them from asking you to bring a dish next year!😂

On a serious note depending on what seafood is available some bacon wrapped jumbo scallops grilled up. Cook the first side, when you flip them put a spoonful of a good applebutter on them and finish grilling. They are incredible and different!

My signature dish is a bowl of fresh prawns (shrimp to you people) but then we celebrate Xmas often in heatwave conditions.

Ken

Trust me. @greybeard is no stranger to 80° F at Christmas.

. . . How to make chicken fried steaks.. Christmassy?

Chicken fried steak is good any time of year. Serve it on a Christmas themed platter.

Christmassy chicken fried steak..................That's where food coloring comes in. Make a batch of red gravy and a batch of green. Your family will never forget. The up side is, you'll likely have your favorite dish to take back home.

Prime rib roast!

I really like the cowboy beans listed in this section too...
Ok now…spaghetti @ 30 cents a serving or prime rib @ $20.00 a serving…🤔.. yeah…gotta be a lot of love in the room for prime rib. 😂

Chicken Fried Steak sounds good to me but it's a bit of work and might not travel well.