What factor(s) could cause my beef from a local farm to taste & smell ‘off’ this time around?

Help Support CattleToday:

addy

Reaction score
So this relates to a $250 order I made from a local, low-key farm, that's highly reviewed online by the few who know about it, and they check all the boxes for my standards, in terms of their beef being a) 100% grass-fed & finished and b) certified organic. The husband & wife seem like fantastic people from my interactions with them, and I can tell they're quite knowledgable about the industry, and share the same views as I do on nutritional benefits of grass-fed, and more.

Anyway, I defrosted some striploin steaks from my recent order I bought from them. Prior to putting them on the BBQ, I could tell they had a noticeable scent to them. I don't know if "gamey" accurately describes what it was, or "barnyard-y" — but something just seemed off about it. I cooked them anyway, but that 'off' smell came out in the taste. Unfortunately I couldn't finish it. I was frustrated and confused. Note: I've smelled stale grass-fed beef before, but this wasn't like that.

I've ordered & eaten organic, 100% grass-fed/finished steaks recently from a farm in another city, yet there was no taste or smell issue for me.

These striploin steaks + the rest of my order were also very fresh and I'm told were delivered to the farm by the butcher just a day before I went. I remember when I bought meat from this farm last year, the butcher or slaughter date noted on the sticker was just 2 weeks prior. So really fresh stuff. If anything, I thought that the closer you are to the slaughter date of the animal, the more mild/lack of flavor the beef will have? So what's with this very 'off', noticeable smell & taste I'm picking up this time around? Also, last year I made tartare from this same farm's cut of tenderloin, and I know for sure I wouldn't have eaten tartare it if the smell was the same as what I'm noticing now. So again I'm left wondering, what could it be this time around causing this?

It's also not exclusive to the striploin steaks I defrosted and tried today, because I began defrosting some of the rib steaks and it seems like they have the same smell & will likely turn out the same. :(

What would you speculate the potential issue is? Could it be the breed of cow?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
I'm personally not a fan of grass finished beef as I find it a bit gamey in the best of presentations.

I agree with TT. I am not a fan of grass-finished either (I fail to see the reason anyone would even want it). It does not have the same flavor of grain-finished. Also, if they were supplementing with a grain mix (lots do to add pounds), gluten can give beef a different taste at slaughter.

If halves were touching in the cooler, it will taint beef
Where did you come up with that idea?
I think Tennessee Tuxedo was right about it being a dark cutter.

Dark cutting beef is caused by preslaughter stress 2% of cattle slaughtered are dark cutters.
Instead of cherry red when exposed to air it remains a dark red or sometimes almost black and is off flavor.
Packers typically discount Dark Cutters by 1/3 to almost 1/2 to find a buyer.

We had a wild azz Wagyu steer once that was a dark cutter, very nicely marbled, but low choice at best in tenderness quality.
High strung animals have the highest rates of dark cutting.

Last edited:
As weird as it was, I had a crazy one go two years ago. Took 2 days to get him loaded. He was trying to escape the trailer the entire ride, had to have someone follow closely. Killed in the trailer for safety purposes. He was ramming the trailer door the whole time.

He was only fed grain for 40 days. All grass other than that. Super fat. I'd call him a dark cutter. He was surprisingly tender. Had to be a fluke. Only hung for 7 days too.

As weird as it was, I had a crazy one go two years ago. Took 2 days to get him loaded. He was trying to escape the trailer the entire ride, had to have someone follow closely. Killed in the trailer for safety purposes. He was ramming the trailer door the whole time.

He was only fed grain for 40 days. All grass other than that. Super fat. I'd call him a dark cutter. He was surprisingly tender. Had to be a fluke. Only hung for 7 days too.
Re a different thread, he probably tenderized himself running into everything he could.

Re a different thread, he probably tenderized himself running into everything he could.
I was middle of the pasture that year checking out the herd as I moved fence. This same bull, weighing 1100 ish pounds, had his eyes locked on me.

He started walking towards me with his man-hammer out in full force. Pretty sure he was going to try to mount me! I never did go back in the field with my hair down after that episode. 😂 He had some very weird energy. Hate to say it but I think he thought I was cute. 🤠

I was middle of the pasture that year checking out the herd as I moved fence. This same bull, weighing 1100 ish pounds, had his eyes locked on me.

He started walking towards me with his man-hammer out in full force. Pretty sure he was going to try to mount me! I never did go back in the field with my hair down after that episode. 😂 He had some very weird energy. Hate to say it but I think he thought I was cute. 🤠
I have seen you. I doubt even the bull would want you. Same for me .

I guess some bulls are just 'horny' :)

About this off smelling tasting meat. Maybe it was held at the wrong hanging temperature after slaugter and was starting to get get rotten.