What age is best to sell steers and unwanted heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

rustyb

Reaction score
hmm well perhaps not the best board to put this topic on , but it does have to do with sales

well planning on building up my herd more and eventually selling steers, and any unwanted heifers at the time, no particular breed,

i was wondering what is the best age to sell them at the local sale yards profit wise,

what age is the optimum time? , and also what type of sales, just auction sales in pens or do you think the sale where you pay a certain price per kg is a better way to go , i dont know the term for that sale

note not many will be sold at first cause the herd is still small and we are building on it,

so let us know what you think

thanks

the best time to sale the steers an the heifers you dont want is when they are weaned.an thats 7 to 8 months old.but if you have room you may want to wean them for 15 to 45 days.if you can afford to feed them.

isn't this post just like you other one??? N-E ways 6-7.5 months old.....we never wean them unless we are keeping them....just send them to the auction

if you know yer not keepin em then sell em as soon as they start on grass. youll have the least amt invested and the per/lb willl bring the highest $$..as soon as theyre grazing they go into the trailer. less than 300 lbs brings the most per/lb

dieselbeef":3dd7cf0a said:
if you know yer not keepin em then sell em as soon as they start on grass. youll have the least amt invested and the per/lb willl bring the highest $$..as soon as theyre grazing they go into the trailer. less than 300 lbs brings the most per/lb

Maybe most $ per pound, not necessarly more profit per head.

Shucks I have been buying the heck out of the lightweight heifers and I am putting them on pasture. They have never been so cheap. If the market changes, many will become cows until the market gets right.

For the current situation, you see 800 pounders going for $1.05 and you can pick up some 3 weights cheaper per pound. I have never seen it so upside down.

There's no way I would sell anything under 600 lbs under the current market conditions.

Blame it on feed costs I guess. Check the market prices for your local market to see for yourself. It is likely different in different regions.

Packer bulls are going for as high as 85 cents.

1982vett":30y8odrs said:
dieselbeef":30y8odrs said:

Maybe most $ per pound, not necessarly more profit per head.

if theyre on the ground for the least time thrn the $ invested be the least, at the most per lb wont it make the most money..less time =more profit. heavy young calf is best round here. they pay 1.60 for under 250 over will only get ya .90..as of yesterday. ill take the short sale..assuming they wiegh decent for 4 mos....

you did not over winter the cow for her to raise you a calf for only 3 months. there is No way there is any profit in the model. $1.60/lb is not an up-to-date price for that size calves and the "docking' does not start at 250 lbs. this is bad advice.

Around here (Arkansas) the 900 lb animals are bringing the same price per pound as the 700 lb animals. If you have the grass, it makes more sense to me to grow them on the farm. I think this is a manifestation of higher grain costs, so the feed lots are looking at animals that are closer to finishing.

Latest posts