7 month old heifers' keep or sell

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes. Watching Athens Ga sale right now. 1000-1500 black cows with calves bringing $800 to $1000. I just bought a Corriente that weighed 700 with a 240 lb polled Braunvieh bull calf,. for $415!!! They just sold a 1285lb Charolais, heavy bred to a Brangus, for $950. Watching sales today from the east coast all the way over to Cali and Nevada. The very best cattle, and the cheapest, are here in the east. The further west you go, the higher and lesser quality they are. as usual, Missouri would be the place to sell today. These Athens cattle would be bringing twice what they are here. Wish I ha a way to "beam me up, Scotty". and buy them here and ...POOF....put then in a Missouri sale! Looks like someone is doing that..buying here and selling there. They are getting west coast prices for east coast quality cattle in MO. Haven't seen any lesser quality cattle sell at the MO sales yet, but I am skipping back and forth between 6 sales right now.
Correction. I was watching the ring camera on the auction site, and thought the calf weighed 240. That was the next one. This one was 345! Scot's brother was at the sale, and I was on the phone with him and got him to bid. He called me on his way home and told me what the calf really weighed. Cool!!! They do something at this sale I have never seen. I thought they were gonna start out with head cows. 1st cow in the ring was a 1500lb black cow Her bag looked like it would bust. She had obviously just had a calf pulled, but no o0e said anything. She brought .78/lb. Before they let her out, they ran a 250 lb black calk in, and sold it by the pound too. Baby was way to young to wean. Then , they totalled up what both brought by the pound, added $20 to it, and that was the starting bid for the pair. The pair sold by the head. They did a bunch of them that way. Most ended up selling by the head, but a few got busted up by the pound. After a while, I decided I kinda like it that way. Maybe not so much as a buyer, but a seller ends up getting the best price for his cattle that way.

Yup... that's why they call it a discount.
Whew!! You gonna make me pull all of my hair out!! Gonna try one more time ( dunno why I am wasting my time...but here goes). Those red baldies were NOT discounted. No other off-colored cattle brought as much as they did today. And, if a magic wand was waved, and the CAB programs all disappeared and were erased from memory, like it never existed, those red baldies would have brought the $2.68 a lb. The black baldies that brought $308.50 would have brought the same $2.68. The man that sold all 3 sets did NOT run around wringing his hands, cursing the CAB program, or calling it a conspiracy. He knows that if wanted those 5 red ones to bring what his black ones, did, all he has to do is get rid of his hetero for black bull, and get a homo for black one. Bashing one of the best marketing programs ever, that has benefitted all cattle producers, and making slanderous and libelous statements, posts, comments, etc about the CAB, AAA, etc,. will never get off-colored cattle to bring one red cent more. Red and other non-black cattle are ND...NOT DISCOUNTED. Black cattle are PP...PREMIUMS PAID. If you don't understand that still...then I give right straight up!! :)

Whew!! You gonna make me pull all of my hair out!! Gonna try one more time ( dunno why I am wasting my time...but here goes). Those red baldies were NOT discounted. No other off-colored cattle brought as much as they did today. And, if a magic wand was waved, and the CAB programs all disappeared and were erased from memory, like it never existed, those red baldies would have brought the $2.68 a lb. The black baldies that brought $308.50 would have brought the same $2.68. The man that sold all 3 sets did NOT run around wringing his hands, cursing the CAB program, or calling it a conspiracy. He knows that if wanted those 5 red ones to bring what his black ones, did, all he has to do is get rid of his hetero for black bull, and get a homo for black one. Bashing one of the best marketing programs ever, that has benefitted all cattle producers, and making slanderous and libelous statements, posts, comments, etc about the CAB, AAA, etc,. will never get off-colored cattle to bring one red cent more. Red and other non-black cattle are ND...NOT DISCOUNTED. Black cattle are PP...PREMIUMS PAID. If you don't understand that still...then I give right straight up!! :)
Well YOU were the one that SAID IT. If red calves sell for the same price (or less) as black calves that are discounted due to being such poor animals that they will never make CAB... then the red calves are being dinged for their color and nothing more.

And SEE??? You said it AGAIN... "And, if a magic wand was waved, and the CAB programs all disappeared and were erased from memory, like it never existed, those red baldies would have brought the $2.68 a lb. The black baldies that brought $308.50 would have brought the same $2.68."

Except that you're wrong and the prices would have averaged out and landed somewhere in the middle.

If you take the hide off a red animal and a black animal and on the rail they look identical... then they should get the same price. Doesn't matter if they grade select or cutter or prime. If one gets less on the hoof because it's red, that's a discount. If it gets more because it's black, it's a premium. A premium on a black calf due to color is the same thing as a discount on a red calf due to color.

And I agree it's one of the most successful (NOT best) marketing programs ever... but it hurts the entire industry in all kinds of ways.

If you don't understand that still...then I give right straight up!! :)

Well YOU were the one that SAID IT. If red calves sell for the same price (or less) as black calves that are discounted due to being such poor animals that they will never make CAB... then the red calves are being dinged for their color and nothing more.
NO., I said that the red cows brought the same as lesser quality black calves.
And SEE??? You said it AGAIN... "And, if a magic wand was waved, and the CAB programs all disappeared and were erased from memory, like it never existed, those red baldies would have brought the $2.68 a lb. The black baldies that brought $308.50 would have brought the same $2.68."

Except that you're wrong and the prices would have averaged out and landed somewhere in the middle.
No, the most bodacious, super-duper, triple A+, MEGA PRIME calf there was today in that sale brought $2.68. If discounted, they would have brought $2.28. The black most bodacious, super-duper, triple A+, MEGA PRIME calf there was brought a 40 cent per lb. PREMIUM.
If you take the hide off a red animal and a black animal and on the rail they look identical... then they should get the same price. Doesn't matter if they grade select or cutter or prime. If one gets less on the hoof because it's red, that's a discount. If it gets more because it's black, it's a premium. A premium on a black calf due to color is the same thing as a discount on a red calf due to color.

And I agree it's one of the most successful (NOT best) marketing programs ever... but it hurts the entire industry in all kinds of ways.
Yeah, people with black Simms and black Gelbeivs , and black Limosines, and Black Herefords and black Beefmasters just cry all the way to the bank., about how much the CAB program has hurt them!! :eek:
If you don't understand that still...then I give right straight up!! :)

WHat is checked in tonight so far for the Calhoun sale tomorrow

Sorry to say but what I saw in this video was 95% walking on the straw/dirt floors, heard some gates opened and shut, saw some cattle legs and partial body shots, pony legs and belly, and one head, a couple of partial heads and bodies... and one whole goat and some other partials...

Sorry to say but what I saw in this video was 95% walking on the straw/dirt floors, heard some gates opened and shut, saw some cattle legs and partial body shots, pony legs and belly, and one head, a couple of partial heads and bodies... and one whole goat and some other partials...
Yeah, me too when I click on the one on your message, but see the whole thing when I click on the one on my message.

Try going to the FB page and watching it there. https://www.facebook.com/calhounstockyard

No sale a Kilpatrick or Ft Payne or both? thanks
As a general rule no sales the week of the major holidays... Xmas, Thanksgiving, etc.

With smaller holidays it depends on the holiday daye vs sale day. Holiday on Mon or Tues may have sales Thursday Friday and vice versa.

Any time the sale is near a holiday its best to call, check website, social media, etc. The auction barns were all over my morning ag show saying no sale next week with their morning reports.

Latest posts