Sell or Hold'em

Help Support CattleToday:

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
Got 2 loads of 8 weight steers running on grass but grass is about shot. Im going to have to buy hay or sell in the next week or so. Board has been down hard this week. Part of me thinks I should hold out and let the market come back, the other half says sell before it gets any lower. What are yall's opinion on the feeder market?

Thanks

PS: Did Fence get banned again? Haven't seen him on the forum lately.

Last edited:
Live fed cattle seem to be staying steady to strong. The grains seem to be staying at a point where guys can make money feeding cattle. I guess I would hold them for just a little bit. See if this feeder market stay steady or bounces back a little.

Sold 5 -6 weights this week , our market was back up . Only 1 more week before thanksgiving and our markets are closed . Then it's December.

I think you have answered your own question, if you have to buy in feed for them then my money is on cashing them in. I think your prices are still pretty strong even if they are back a bit.
Fence hasn't been around for a while, he seemed to come back after a short hiatus with some fighting words and we haven't heard from him since. I spoke with CB about it and although he was a bit short on detail that seemed to be the case.

Ken

Got 2 loads of 8 weight steers running on grass but grass is about shot. Im going to have to buy hay or sell in the next week or so. Board has been down hard this week. Part of me thinks I should hold out and let the market come back, the other half says sell before it gets any lower. What are yall's opinion on the feeder market?

Thanks

PS: Did Fence get banned again? Haven't seen him on the forum lately.
Do not run your grass into the ground if you haven't already. Hay is likely scarce already so it's going to be expensive. If you wait to sell, not only does the price need to increase to benefit, but it has to increase that much more to justify spending on the hay. Sell now to save your existing pasture for earlier green up next spring and so that you aren't shelling out cash for hay in the hopes that the market gains at least enough to pay for the hay and if it doesn't you lose that too.

If prices there, are close to what @TCRanch posted...with your needing to buy hay to carry them for awhile, they would be on the next truck out....
We have a bunch that are in the 5-650 wt range... but we have 400 ton corn and sorghum silage that needs to be fed out... put up fall 2022 and sold so much this spring did not even open the new trench we finished just before chopping fall 2022. So, son is going to keep and feed for now... might sell some but we have about 75-80 after selling off the "bottom" 15 a few weeks ago...about 10 more to wean off some later calving cows.... and we are good on hay so I guess he is going to sit on them for awhile...

We arent selling our heifers unless they just would never make the cut. Hoping that when there is spring grasses growing, heifers will bring a better price.

Unless it's breeding stock, forgot if you said heifers or steers, sell. Especially if they are going to cost you 'bought hay' in the near future. The price will be higher tomorrow, lower tomorrow...... it will be what it will be. But it will never be what you want it to be.
It's a risk waiting for a price, but it's a cost keeping them.

Well I ended up finding some good hay for a good price in case we get bad weather. Some recent rains are bringing the perennial rye grass and fescue in. May not have to feed any hay so I'm going to hold out for a bit. I'm thinking first of the year they will be back up. Wish me luck lol8ED3D59D-9A4F-4CCC-991E-6092F0CB7158.jpegB61749F9-A1C6-48F8-ADB0-79173A521C0B.jpeg

Last edited:
My prediction and it cost you nothing because it might not be worth anything.
I think by the second week of January they will be higher.
FPL Foods are already trying to contract slaughter cows for the holiday weeks for 2.05 hanging. I think they have 1.65 or so on them now. Maybe a little more.
Kenny I hope your right!

Some of the more knowledgeable, like Corbet Wall, say the packers are trying to control the futures to drive the price down. Hard to argue. August 2024 feeder futures are close to 30 cents cheaper than they were a few months ago.

I'd hold on 7 weights right now but sell on 8 weights. Market seems to be fairly flat and calves are ready they are ready and they probably won't gain on hay. That's some good grass in the pic.

Yes, Fence got banned for being Fence.

We have got beef about as high as consumer can stand.
I would agree with you based on the average consumer, many will switch to pork or poultry as less expensive alternatives. But let's not forget about the world's elite that have plenty of money, they will spend $250-300 per person or more on a steak dinner at a fancy restaurant. Certain markets can and do pay more for beef, we export to other countries because of our high quality. Investing for quality improvements should be our goal for the coming years rather than simply trying to maximize head count and flood the market which drives down prices. With all of the governmental and environmental pressures on beef production I envision that beef will become the luxury protein that is eaten by the wealthy. Those that can't afford it will eat fake meat like this.