7 month old heifers' keep or sell

Help Support CattleToday:

I sold 5-6 weight heifers and one light less than 4 last week at Arab that averaged $1000 + . Prices ranged from 2.05-2.27. They have gone down this week a little . No sale the week of thanksgiving and the word is they will be cheaper .

Yes. Watching Athens Ga sale right now. 1000-1500 black cows with calves bringing $800 to $1000. I just bought a Corriente that weighed 700 with a 240 lb polled Braunvieh bull calf,. for $415!!! They just sold a 1285lb Charolais, heavy bred to a Brangus, for $950. Watching sales today from the east coast all the way over to Cali and Nevada. The very best cattle, and the cheapest, are here in the east. The further west you go, the higher and lesser quality they are. as usual, Missouri would be the place to sell today. These Athens cattle would be bringing twice what they are here. Wish I ha a way to "beam me up, Scotty". and buy them here and ...POOF....put then in a Missouri sale! Looks like someone is doing that..buying here and selling there. They are getting west coast prices for east coast quality cattle in MO. Haven't seen any lesser quality cattle sell at the MO sales yet, but I am skipping back and forth between 6 sales right now.

I sold 5-6 weight heifers and one light less than 4 last week at Arab that averaged $1000 + . Prices ranged from 2.05-2.27. They have gone down this week a little . No sale the week of thanksgiving and the word is they will be cheaper .
No sale a Kilpatrick or Ft Payne or both? thanks

I have five Sim-Angus type heifers , four black and one gray, I weaned a couple of months ago, that also weigh about 650 lbs. They are open and on feed.
Prices here are off $20 at least from their peak, maybe a little more.
I am also debating what to do with them. I sold off every older cow or cow with a problem back in early September when they were really high.
With cow numbers so low and so few heifers being kept, I may go contrarian and breed them next spring.

Our calves sell much cheaper here in late October and November than they are out west a little bit. I guess its the wheat pasture out there that helps their prices.

At another MO sale, seven black baldy steers averaging 545lbs just brought $308.50 .Next in the ring was the same owner's five red blady steers, averaging 515 lbs brought $2.68. The owner was smart to split the reds and blacks into 2 groups, or they all would have brought $2.68 lb.

At another MO sale, seven black baldy steers averaging 545lbs just brought $308.50 .Next in the ring was the same owner's five red blady steers, averaging 515 lbs brought $2.68. The owner was smart to split the reds and blacks into 2 groups, or they all would have brought $2.68 lb.
Yup... the discount

The sale barn here is pretty good at splitting off the reds from the blacks, or splitting off the ones with horns.

Nah.

The blacks just bring a premium......

🤣
Yep. Ones like that do.. after the red ones, they ran in 5 more in the 500's, that were solid blacks, that brought $3.12. No discount to it. The red baldies brought as much as some lesser quality blacks did. But, the man obviously knows how to get black calves, if he wants that extra $200 per head CAB premium!

Latest posts